Sky internet connection question

Old July 21st 17, 07:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default Sky internet connection question

A friend has a Sky TV system. There is a main receiver and several
slave boxes. I cannot at the moment tell you the model numbers or other
details.

All are connected to WiFi Access Points and hence via his router to the
internet. His house is fairly large and several access points are
required to get good coverage. He does have Cat5 Ethernet cable
installed at every location where the the Sky boxes are located, but
despite the Sky devices having RJ45 sockets there does not seem to be
any way to force the equipment to use the cabled connection. The Cat5
cable installation extends to the WiFi access points so the WiFi
performance is uniformly good throughout the house.

At about 10 pm most nights the TV shows a message about a connectivity
problem. I don't have the exact text of this message. However the
connection menu shows a good connection to the network and to the slave
boxes.

So I suspect that the Sky server on the internet is overloaded.

Does anybody here have any experience of this to confirm my diagnosis?

TIA

--
Graham J
Old July 23rd 17, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Chronos wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 07:26:48 +0100
Graham J wrote:

there does not seem to be any way to force the equipment to use the
cabled connection

Don't connect it to an AP. That means, of course, changing the default
SSID and RSN key on the Sky hub. This is all consumer - which is to say
lowest common denominator - equipment, which exposes as little as
possible to customers so they're not calling tech support every five
minutes.

It probably won't make much difference in this case, though. It sounds
like you have the correct diagnosis given the time of day and frequency
of occurrence. Network congestion on the local backhaul. Half a dozen
people seeding the latest mediaeval epic to all and sundry will do that
quite easily.

What Sky hub?

The internet connection isn't provided by Sky. It uses Zen, their FTTC
service, and a Vigor router. Sync speed is shown at about 72 Mbits/sec

But I understand that if the WiFi service on the router is disabled, and
the WiFi settings on the Sky boxes are deleted, then they should connect
using Ethernet only. This would eliminate any unreliability in the WiFi
system.

The router shows downloads at about 7 Mbits/sec at the times when the
user reports intermittent connectivity. Upload usage at this time is a
few bits/sec. So the FTTC connection to the exchange is not the
limiting factor.

I could test the performance (using ping and traceroute) of the Sky
server if I knew its IP address. Googling hasn't revealed it - any
ideas, please?

TIA

--
Graham J

Old July 23rd 17, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

Graham J wrote:

[...]

Ping sky-server-name will find you the IP address you must have the
actual server name for this to work at all.

Try a version of MTR for what ever platform you are using ,that should
give a starting point.
Old July 23rd 17, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

grinch wrote:

[snip]

I could test the performance (using ping and traceroute) of the Sky
server if I knew its IP address. Googling hasn't revealed it - any
ideas, please?

TIA

Ping sky-server-name will find you the IP address you must have the
actual server name for this to work at all.

Try a version of MTR for what ever platform you are using ,that should
give a starting point.

So any idea what sky-server-name actually is? It's the server that
delivers the TV pictures ...

--
Graham J

Old August 16th 17, 06:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Graham J wrote:

[...]

somebody in the future.

The user's house is large. Guaranteeing WiFi service throughout is
difficult, even with three wireless access points in strategic
locations. But because major rebuilding and redecorating work was
undertaken the user flood-wired with Cat5 cable, all connected to a
24-port switch and thence to the router.

There are 4 sky boxes, a master and 3 slaves. The Sky engineer who came
to install the kit said he could not make use of the cat 5 cables and
wanted to run his own cables between the various boxes!!!

I turned off all the wireless access points. Despite resetting the Sky
boxes they all remembered the SSIDs for the WiFi services they had
previously been connected to. Each Sky box showed 4 MAC addresses, for
2.4 GHZ, 5 GHZ, Powerline, and Ethernet. Via the "Engineers Menu" (only
available on the master) I disabled all the WiFi and Powerline
connections. Connecting to the cat 5 cable showed a fifth MAC address
for the link to the router. All worked OK getting program from the
internet and the slaves getting program from the master.

I then changed all the wireless access points to have different SSIDs so
there was no chance of any Sky box making a wireless connection to the LAN.

Since then there have been no reports of any failed connections.

--
Graham J