Open circuit voltage on phone line very very low.

Old August 3rd 17, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Caspersz

Default Open circuit voltage on phone line very very low.

Been to someone's place today, where their ADSL broadband works fine but
no dial tone. So disconnected all, and metered across the A/B pair where
the drop wire comes in.

Less than a volt. Is this a fault?

The abode doesn't have any wired telephones - the multiple residents
tend to use their mobile phones, so I'm suspecting the contract might be
'broadband only' - but I've only heard of that for businesses not
residential.

I've sent someone to check for bills etc...

--
Adrian C
Old August 3rd 17, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
Been to someone's place today, where their ADSL broadband works fine
but no dial tone. So disconnected all, and metered across the A/B
pair where the drop wire comes in.

Less than a volt. Is this a fault?

The abode doesn't have any wired telephones - the multiple residents
tend to use their mobile phones, so I'm suspecting the contract
might be 'broadband only' - but I've only heard of that for
businesses not residential.

I've sent someone to check for bills etc...

You can't have broadband only - you will always get a dial tone albeit
you won't be able to make any calls bar mybe 999.

ADSL is radio so it will jump gaps which will kill a c connection.
Only 1V across a line means it is shafted - open circuit with a very
high resistance load (like a meter) should show 50V or thereabouts.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 4th 17, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Humphrey

Woody wrote:
You can't have broadband only - you will always get a dial tone albeit
you won't be able to make any calls bar mybe 999.

Actually you can, but only if you live in Swansea, Ipswich, Brentwood,
Thurso, Newcastle or Leeds - see
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...broadband.html

Mike
Old August 4th 17, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 03/08/2017 19:25, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Been to someone's place today, where their ADSL broadband works fine but
no dial tone. So disconnected all, and metered across the A/B pair where
the drop wire comes in.

Less than a volt. Is this a fault?

The abode doesn't have any wired telephones - the multiple residents
tend to use their mobile phones, so I'm suspecting the contract might be
'broadband only' - but I've only heard of that for businesses not
residential.

I've sent someone to check for bills etc...

I would get the line tested. It is possible to get a broadband service
(IME poor) when the phone does not work. A break would give no DC
voltage but broadband might get through because of the high frequencies
and the cable capacitance.

--
Michael Chare

---

Old August 4th 17, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Michael Chare wrote:
On 03/08/2017 19:25, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Been to someone's place today, where their ADSL broadband works fine
but no dial tone. So disconnected all, and metered across the A/B pair
where the drop wire comes in.

Less than a volt. Is this a fault?

The abode doesn't have any wired telephones - the multiple residents
tend to use their mobile phones, so I'm suspecting the contract might
be 'broadband only' - but I've only heard of that for businesses not
residential.

I've sent someone to check for bills etc...

I would get the line tested. It is possible to get a broadband service
(IME poor) when the phone does not work. A break would give no DC
voltage but broadband might get through because of the high frequencies
and the cable capacitance.

Looking at the stats on the router and comparing with a near neighbour
would tell you whether the connection was any good.

As others have said, there are circumstances where no dial tone and no
dc would not indicate a problem.

--
Graham J
Old August 4th 17, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 03/08/2017 19:25, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Been to someone's place today, where their ADSL broadband works fine but
no dial tone. So disconnected all, and metered across the A/B pair where
the drop wire comes in.

Less than a volt. Is this a fault?

The abode doesn't have any wired telephones - the multiple residents
tend to use their mobile phones, so I'm suspecting the contract might be
'broadband only' - but I've only heard of that for businesses not
residential.

I've sent someone to check for bills etc...

"the multiple residents tend to use their mobile phones,"

This is mentioned on the BT community forum quite frequently.
The moderators say you should try and keep a standard BT phone
plugged into the master socket and make or receive a call
occasionally so that ring voltage stops any dry joints or other
high-resistance problems occurring.

try ringing 17070 and do a line test.
Old August 4th 17, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
[...]

I've never lived anywhere that has had sufficiently good mobile reception to
make getting rid of a landline even remotely feasible. Where I live now
there's only reception on one side of the house, so I need to remember to go
through from my study to the bedroom every so often in case anyone's sent me
a text or a voicemail. There are days when I have to hang out of the window
to get any reception. And that's in a sizeable village 1/4 mile from a trunk
A road, not in a sparsely-populated area with one farm every couple of
miles.

Mobile reception really is *crap* in Yorkshire. The companies spend all
their money implementing 4G and 5G, when they should be spending it on
making sure that everywhere has at least phone and 3G; only when that has
been done should they give even faster mobile broadband to those in cities
who already have fast mobile.

I'm not greedy: I don't expect my mobile broadband speed to be even as fast
as ADSL (8 Mbps), never mind FTTC speeds (30+ Mbps), but I would like 100%
coverage of phone and at least 2 Mbps throughout the UK.

Old August 4th 17, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 03/08/2017 19:25, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
the multiple residents tend to use their mobile phones

Is this an HMO ?. Why would there be multiple residents sharing
a phone line.

Is it a care home with some sort of BT alarm system ?.

Was there a ADSL filter on the master socket ?.

Without a dial tone you can't dial 17070 (!!), so unless
you can find the service number on a bill and ring it to
see what happens, you'll have to report it as a fault to
BT or whatever the telecom provider is.

If it is BT, report it as a TELEPHONE fault to 151, but
don't mention broadband else you'll be shunted off to
India which they don't want. This is a phone line issue that
Openreach or similar (might be Colt or someone else) need to
fix.

Old August 4th 17, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 04/08/2017 20:31, NY wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message
news
[...]

My neighbour never uses his BT phone and only telemarketters use
it to phone him.

The most populated parts of the UK make it quite possible to avoid
making phone calls using a BT landline. All depends what your
contract is. Phoning 0345 and similar numbers during working hours
to banks, HMRC etc can be a pain with a mobile however.
Old August 4th 17, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

[...]

No. If an area doesn't have 3G the best thing is to deploy straight to 4G.
There is no sensible reason these days to go via 3G. 4G uses the spectrum
more efficiently. The amount of spectrum being allocated to 3G is steadily
being reduced and reallocated to 4G.