What physically happens at the exchange when there's a WLR migration

Old August 7th 17, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default What physically happens at the exchange when there's a WLR migration

My mother today migrated from BT (voice) and Plusnet (ADSL) to Talk Talk
(yes I know!) for both services.

It's all working as expected, but I caught some strange things happen
this morning

I turned up at 10:30, and dialed 1571 from her phone,it was TalkTalk's
'Voicemail' service, so I assumed the voice transfer had happened.

I then dialed her number from my mobile, and was greeted with the
message, 'This number is not accepting incoming calls, try again later'
I could make calls from her phone though.

I got on and swapped her router, Plusnet was still working, but previous
experiences of my own ADSL migrations indicate that your line is dual
authenticated on changeover day. Sure enough the TalkTalk connection
burst into life.

Then at 11, she received a phone call from a friend. Good I thought,
all OK. Then at 11:10 the phone line went dead, and the ADSL died.
I pulled everything out of the master socket, and plugged in a phone.
It was dead. Then at 11:15, everything came alive again, and that was that.

Presumably between 11:10 and 11:15 her line was being rejumpered, but to
and from what, (she's on a small rural exchange, so no LLU etc ?)

--
Mark
Old August 9th 17, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dan[_2_]

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 19:25:34 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

Then at 11, she received a phone call from a friend. Good I thought,
all OK. Then at 11:10 the phone line went dead, and the ADSL died.
I pulled everything out of the master socket, and plugged in a phone.
It was dead. Then at 11:15, everything came alive again, and that was that.

Presumably between 11:10 and 11:15 her line was being rejumpered, but to
and from what, (she's on a small rural exchange, so no LLU etc ?)

I asked an OR engineer this when he visited after a switch to Plusnet
brought problems. I asked if someboby had to unplug a cable & plug it in
elsewhere. He replied to say it's all done by computer. From this I take to
mean there are managed switches at the exchange that reroute things.
Old August 9th 17, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 09/08/2017 07:44, Dan wrote:
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 19:25:34 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

Then at 11, she received a phone call from a friend. Good I thought,
all OK. Then at 11:10 the phone line went dead, and the ADSL died.
I pulled everything out of the master socket, and plugged in a phone.
It was dead. Then at 11:15, everything came alive again, and that was that.

Presumably between 11:10 and 11:15 her line was being rejumpered, but to
and from what, (she's on a small rural exchange, so no LLU etc ?)

I asked an OR engineer this when he visited after a switch to Plusnet
brought problems. I asked if someboby had to unplug a cable & plug it in
elsewhere. He replied to say it's all done by computer. From this I take to
mean there are managed switches at the exchange that reroute things.

Thank you, that's what I would have thought, so the downtime would only
be a matter of a few seconds ? Odd, of course the five minute break may
have been sometime totally unrelated !

--
Mark
Old August 9th 17, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 09/08/2017 07:44, Dan wrote:
[...]

I would have thought they needed to re-route the exchange end so that
the feed came from Plusnet, and then tell Plusnet to activate it?

Did it happpen at nn:35 by any chance as that is the time when BT do
any major switching.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 9th 17, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Dan wrote:

I asked an OR engineer this when he visited after a switch to Plusnet
brought problems. I asked if someboby had to unplug a cable & plug it in
elsewhere. He replied to say it's all done by computer.

But if moving from a LLU operator to a non-LLU operator (or vice versa)
it will need re-jumpering from BT's frame to the other operator's.

Old August 9th 17, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 09/08/2017 10:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Dan wrote:

I asked an OR engineer this when he visited after a switch to Plusnet
brought problems. I asked if someboby had to unplug a cable & plug it in
elsewhere. He replied to say it's all done by computer.

But if moving from a LLU operator to a non-LLU operator (or vice versa)
it will need re-jumpering from BT's frame to the other operator's.

As said, the exchange concerned is a small rural one, in fact I noticed
what was the exchange is now a house with someone living in it ! So
perhaps it's all virtualised back at the main Reading central exchange
(it's an 0118 area) ?

--
Mark