uk 31st in the world for broadband

Old August 12th 17, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont[_2_]

Default uk 31st in the world for broadband

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:17:15 +0100, Andrew wrote:

I had 2 meg, then 4 and finally 8 for quite a few years until BT
scrapped tha ADSL max kit and moved everyone onto ADSL2+.

They didn't, I've still got ADSL MAX!

Some people on the exchange have FTTC but it misses me.

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old August 12th 17, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:33:43 -0000 (UTC), just as I was about to take a
herb, Chris disturbed my reverie and wrote:

We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.

I wonder if their VSDL connection craps out when near a transmitter
too?
--

73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
Old August 12th 17, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 16:00:23 +0100, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:33:43 -0000 (UTC), just as I was about to take a
herb, Chris disturbed my reverie and wrote:

We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.

I wonder if their VSDL connection craps out when near a transmitter
too?

Guess so, unless they've switched off their LW and MW transmitters.

I'd like to see the end of Brookmans Park and Saffron Green:
http://www.adsb.co.uk/blog/medium_wave_kills_vdsl.html
Old August 13th 17, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 16:00:23 +0100, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:33:43 -0000 (UTC), just as I was about to take a
herb, Chris disturbed my reverie and wrote:

We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.

I wonder if their VSDL connection craps out when near a transmitter
too?

Guess so, unless they've switched off their LW and MW transmitters.

I'd like to see the end of Brookmans Park and Saffron Green:
http://www.adsb.co.uk/blog/medium_wave_kills_vdsl.html

So what sync speed does your router show for VDSL?

It's not surprising that nearby broadcast transmitters have the effect
you show. Screening the copper feed, or using carefully balanced
twirted pair might make an improvement. FTTP is the only real solution.

--
Graham J

Old August 13th 17, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:33:43 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...pain-singapore

We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.

The 1st question is where they got the numbers from and whether they
compare like with like.....
https://www.cable.co.uk/media-centre...ed-UK-Ranks-31

source = The data was collected across the 12 months up to 10 May this
year by M-Lab, a partnership between New America's Open Technology
Institute, Google Open Source Research, Princeton University's
PlanetLab, and other supporting partners, and compiled by Cable.co.uk.

there are 63m tests, and they give stats for 175 countries

So it isnt going to be a huge UK sample & parts of the data set are
over a year old.
Given the timescales there is room for inconsistent results depending
on who they got to test, when tests happened vs other countries and so
on.

So - parking that lot, what do other data sets say about UK
performance?

some up to date UK stats give a current average about 26 Mbps - the
click options further down the page explains the assumptions behind
the numbers.
https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/

Any average has to account for historical change and inertia in which
products people pick - the pages give an estimate of where the average
would be if everyone picked the highest performance product actually
available to them - 185 Mps.

The Ofcom report comes out ~ November stats a few months later, so
11/2016 is approx 50% of the way through the report period.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/research-an...rformance-2016
the technical report gives an average download of 36 Mbps....

The other UK source I know of is Sam knows - but the Ofcom report says
they use them.

Note I am not arguing these figures are any better - but they seem to
be based on a lot more data, so likely to be more comprehensive.

Both sources show the UK with significantly higher speeds than the
Guardian / Cable.co.uk stats......

What the difference between "as installed" vs "as available" tells me
is "average" numbers are dominated by the effect of users choices
about which product they pick rather than best available speeds.
Stephen Hope
Replace xyz with ntl to reply
Old August 13th 17, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

wrote:

[...]

Those figures seem to be an average of those people who have broadband.
When you look at the by constituency figures and note that there are
significant not-spots even in such places as Bracknell (home of Fujitsu,
formerly ICL - about 5% no fast BB) perhaps it's that figure that's more
interesting.

The Ofcom report comes out ~ November stats a few months later, so
11/2016 is approx 50% of the way through the report period.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/research-an...rformance-2016
the technical report gives an average download of 36 Mbps....

I can see nothing there on availability.

The other UK source I know of is Sam knows - but the Ofcom report says
they use them.

Note I am not arguing these figures are any better - but they seem to
be based on a lot more data, so likely to be more comprehensive.

Both sources show the UK with significantly higher speeds than the
Guardian / Cable.co.uk stats......

What the difference between "as installed" vs "as available" tells me
is "average" numbers are dominated by the effect of users choices
about which product they pick rather than best available speeds.

Once you've got 50, getting 100 doesn't help you much. It's the
significant minority who don't get even 1Mb who are suffering.

Andy
Old August 14th 17, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 15:19:42 +0100 (BST)
"Rodney Pont" wrote:

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:17:15 +0100, Andrew wrote:

I had 2 meg, then 4 and finally 8 for quite a few years until BT
scrapped tha ADSL max kit and moved everyone onto ADSL2+.

They didn't, I've still got ADSL MAX!

Some people on the exchange have FTTC but it misses me.

"Same here. I just checked with BT's Checker:

Max DSL Upgrade Status
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products became available from 31/03/06."

"BT have not advised a planned date for WBC on 21CN"

Yet FTTC is available!

--
Davey.
Old August 14th 17, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 12:48:14 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 16:00:23 +0100, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:33:43 -0000 (UTC), just as I was about to take a
herb, Chris disturbed my reverie and wrote:

We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.

I wonder if their VSDL connection craps out when near a transmitter
too?

Guess so, unless they've switched off their LW and MW transmitters.

I'd like to see the end of Brookmans Park and Saffron Green:
http://www.adsb.co.uk/blog/medium_wave_kills_vdsl.html

So what sync speed does your router show for VDSL?

Sync speed is a stable 22.4Mb/s. The cabinet is 1000m away according
to my car's trip recorder, I presume the cable follows the road.
The BT Wholesale availability checker estimates I'd get 27.4 - 36.6 Mb/s
with a clean line - but with all that MW it's not a clean line!

It's not surprising that nearby broadcast transmitters have the effect
you show. Screening the copper feed, or using carefully balanced
twirted pair might make an improvement. FTTP is the only real solution.

Indeed. There's about 20 feet of vertical non-twisted pair dropwire -
which will be a good antenna for ground-wave. I don't know whether the
overhead cable to the pole is twisted-pair or not, the pole is on the
other side of the road so it's not huge distance away (length of
front garden plus width of road).

It probably explains why Virgin Media supply broadband to many of
the neighbouring properties.
Old August 14th 17, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 16:00:23 +0100, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:33:43 -0000 (UTC), just as I was about to take a
herb, Chris disturbed my reverie and wrote:

We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.

I wonder if their VSDL connection craps out when near a transmitter
too?

Guess so, unless they've switched off their LW and MW transmitters.

I'd like to see the end of Brookmans Park and Saffron Green:
http://www.adsb.co.uk/blog/medium_wave_kills_vdsl.html

So what sync speed does your router show for VDSL?

Sync speed is a stable 22.4Mb/s. The cabinet is 1000m away according
to my car's trip recorder, I presume the cable follows the road.
The BT Wholesale availability checker estimates I'd get 27.4 - 36.6 Mb/s
with a clean line - but with all that MW it's not a clean line!

I should have asked: can show the SNR margins from the router, please?

What actual download speeds to you get, and do they vary with time of day?

--
Graham J

Old August 14th 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont[_2_]

"Rodney Pont" wrote:

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:17:15 +0100, Andrew wrote:

I had 2 meg, then 4 and finally 8 for quite a few years until BT
scrapped tha ADSL max kit and moved everyone onto ADSL2+.

They didn't, I've still got ADSL MAX!

Some people on the exchange have FTTC but it misses me.

"Same here. I just checked with BT's Checker:

Max DSL Upgrade Status
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products became available from 31/03/06."

"BT have not advised a planned date for WBC on 21CN"

Yet FTTC is available!

That's exactly the same date as my Barkston Ash exchange. It also says
that FTTP is available.