uk 31st in the world for broadband

Old August 14th 17, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default uk 31st in the world for broadband

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 13:33:34 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 12:48:14 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 16:00:23 +0100, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:33:43 -0000 (UTC), just as I was about to take a
herb, Chris disturbed my reverie and wrote:

We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.

I wonder if their VSDL connection craps out when near a transmitter
too?

Guess so, unless they've switched off their LW and MW transmitters.

I'd like to see the end of Brookmans Park and Saffron Green:
http://www.adsb.co.uk/blog/medium_wave_kills_vdsl.html

So what sync speed does your router show for VDSL?

Sync speed is a stable 22.4Mb/s. The cabinet is 1000m away according
to my car's trip recorder, I presume the cable follows the road.
The BT Wholesale availability checker estimates I'd get 27.4 - 36.6 Mb/s
with a clean line - but with all that MW it's not a clean line!

I should have asked: can show the SNR margins from the router, please?

The overall SNR margin (as from 'xdslctl info') or per bin (as from 'xdslctl
info --SNR') ?
If the former:

Max: Upstream rate = 5790 Kbps, Downstream rate = 25755 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 5790 Kbps, Downstream rate = 22398 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

What actual download speeds to you get, and do they vary with time of day?

I seem to get 20Mb/s any time, which equates for downloads to 150 MB/minute.
Old August 14th 17, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Andrew Benham wrote:
[...]

The overall SNR margins for up and down would be nice.

The downstream rate at 22398 Kbits/sec is the same as your "stable
22.4Mb/s". The actual download speed of 20Mb/s is what I would expect
for that sync speed.

The graph at:

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

.... confirms that you are getting the expected speed for the length of
copper cable that you say is about 1km.

So your performance is almost ideal. The graphs you linked to showing
the gaps in the spectrum used by the bins don't actually lose you very
much, possibly 10% of what you might get if the VDSL modem were not
affected by strong RF signals.

Do you have a business need for much greater bandwith? If so FTTP via a
leased line would be possible but likely cost would be several 1000
installation plus 500+plus per month. Bonding several FTTC channels
would be cheaper ...

--
Graham J

Old August 14th 17, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Andrew Benham wrote:
[...]

Yes, I had a senior moment there...

'xdslctl info --stats' tells me:

Down Up
SNR (dB): 8.0 6.3
Attn(dB): 26.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 12.0 6.0

Old August 14th 17, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Andrew Benham wrote:

[snip]

The overall SNR margins for up and down would be nice.

Yes, I had a senior moment there...

'xdslctl info --stats' tells me:

Down Up
SNR (dB): 8.0 6.3
Attn(dB): 26.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 12.0 6.0

Nothing to worry about there ...

-- Graham J

Old August 14th 17, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 14/08/2017 16:05, Rodney Pont wrote:
On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:46:16 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 15:19:42 +0100 (BST)
"Rodney Pont" wrote:

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:17:15 +0100, Andrew wrote:

I had 2 meg, then 4 and finally 8 for quite a few years until BT
scrapped tha ADSL max kit and moved everyone onto ADSL2+.

They didn't, I've still got ADSL MAX!

Some people on the exchange have FTTC but it misses me.

"Same here. I just checked with BT's Checker:

Max DSL Upgrade Status
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products became available from 31/03/06."

"BT have not advised a planned date for WBC on 21CN"

Yet FTTC is available!

That's exactly the same date as my Barkston Ash exchange. It also says
that FTTP is available.

Where I am FTTC is not available, only ADSL at 5 megs or so degrading to
half a meg at the other end of the village.

However I can now smile about it because BT finally got their fingers
out, and installed FTTP. And really nicely the Govt scheme paid for it.

So I really do have a 21st century network

Andy
Old August 14th 17, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 21:35:09 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

However I can now smile about it because BT finally got their fingers
out, and installed FTTP. And really nicely the Govt scheme paid for it.

Please, tell us more, what Govt scheme???!!!
Old August 15th 17, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 12/08/2017 23:14, Andrew Benham wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 16:00:23 +0100, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:33:43 -0000 (UTC), just as I was about to take a
herb, Chris disturbed my reverie and wrote:

We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.

I wonder if their VSDL connection craps out when near a transmitter
too?

Guess so, unless they've switched off their LW and MW transmitters.

I'd like to see the end of Brookmans Park and Saffron Green:
http://www.adsb.co.uk/blog/medium_wave_kills_vdsl.html

I have no problem with turning off more Medium Wave and particularly
Long Wave transmitters (the BBC have announced closure of some Local
Radio ones) but you find any campaign or legislation used against
amateur transmitters also.

Old August 15th 17, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 13/08/2017 19:03, Stephen wrote:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 11:33:43 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...pain-singapore

We're worse than most EU countries, but better than France and Italy.

The 1st question is where they got the numbers from and whether they
compare like with like.....
https://www.cable.co.uk/media-centre...ed-UK-Ranks-31

source = The data was collected across the 12 months up to 10 May this
year by M-Lab, a partnership between New America's Open Technology
Institute, Google Open Source Research, Princeton University's
PlanetLab, and other supporting partners, and compiled by Cable.co.uk.

Well currently in Spain sat in a small Pueblo just inland from the Costa
Del Sol and many folks in the Campo (countryside) struggle to get any
connection at all. In addition I assume that "average" is the normal
mean which is not a good way to measure highly skewed distributions. So
a few folks with very fast connections will produce dubious results..

... e.g. if we have 9 folks with 1Mb and one with 91Mb the average speed
is 10Mb....

Dave
G4UGM

Old August 15th 17, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory

On 12/08/2017 23:14, Andrew Benham wrote:
Guess so, unless they've switched off their LW and MW transmitters.

I'd like to see the end of Brookmans Park and Saffron Green:
http://www.adsb.co.uk/blog/medium_wave_kills_vdsl.html

Surely it can't be worse than it is for ADSL.
I can see similar deep dips in the bits per bin graph on my ADSL2+
connection and I'm not really anywhere near a MW transmitter.
(I'm near Reading University)

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).