For the idly curious. Virgin cable

Old August 10th 17, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default For the idly curious. Virgin cable

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 18:30:32 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 09/08/17 17:27, Tim+ wrote:
Our streets are being cabled at the moment and I found an offcut
piece of "Virgin cable" under a hedge.

life sure is lonely being an offcut, that virgin cable ain't gonna mate
with another. I'm so sad for it....

So if you've ever wondered, this is what it looks like...

Copper Clad Aluminium core, would this be connected to via a drilled tap
like old ethernet wiring before 10BaseT?

Is this coax being used between cabinet and subscriber, or just between
cabinets ? The subscriber links here are the "figure of eight" cable with
(thinner) coax and twisted pair in one cable. Mind you, I don't think this
area has been Project Lightninged...

Old August 10th 17, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

On 09/08/17 17:27, Tim+ wrote:
Our streets are being cabled at the moment and I found an offcut
piece of "Virgin cable" under a hedge.

life sure is lonely being an offcut, that virgin cable ain't gonna mate
with another. I'm so sad for it....

So if you've ever wondered, this is what it looks like...

Copper Clad Aluminium core, would this be connected to via a drilled tap
like old ethernet wiring before 10BaseT?

Is this coax being used between cabinet and subscriber, or just between
cabinets ? The subscriber links here are the "figure of eight" cable with
(thinner) coax and twisted pair in one cable. Mind you, I don't think this
area has been Project Lightninged...

I presume just between cabinets. Can't see them threading that stuff to
every house!

Just curious why on a new system they're not "future proofing" and going
straight to FTTP. Seems shortsighted.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 10th 17, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews[_2_]

On 09/08/17 17:27, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

The figure of eight cable (coax and telephone pairs) is exactly what
links the house to the Virgin street cabinet, it is fibre between
cabinets. There was a rumour (I say rumour because I wasn't involved)
that BT objected to the advertising standards authority about VM
advertising about fibre connectivity, but the objection was thrown out
because the ASA didn't understand the technology. VM is no more fibre
to the home, in most cases, than BT's infinity service, albeit it maybe
faster as it piggy backs on the co-ax feeding the TV service rather than
the twisted pair of the telephone service.

Peter

---
http://www.avg.com

Old August 10th 17, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Peter Andrews wrote:

On 09/08/17 17:27, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

So what's the cable I picked up? Sure as heck isn't fibre and has "Virgin"
printed on the side of it. It's what they've been pulling through between
cabinets.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 11th 17, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Peter Andrews wrote:

On 09/08/17 17:27, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Its exactly that. Not every cab has fibre to it as they work on a hub
basis. Thus you will have fibre to a main cab, then big co-ax to each
of its secondary cabs that deliver to the end user.

I am connected to a cab just around the corner, but when a car ran
into a larger cab at the top of the road (100m farther on) everything
went off. QED.

VM B/B does not piggy-back on the TV signal, it is all one data system
which is selected by the terminating equipment at the user point.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 11th 17, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

The figure of eight cable (coax and telephone pairs) is exactly
what links the house to the Virgin street cabinet, it is fibre
between cabinets.

So what's the cable I picked up? Sure as heck isn't fibre and has
"Virgin" printed on the side of it. It's what they've been pulling
through between cabinets.

There are two types of Virgin Cable cabinet:

The tall powered cabinets mostly near main roads that are fibre fed
with optical terminating racks, HF amplifiers and telephone MSAN.
These tall cabinets have batteries to cope with power cuts, in theory.

These each feed several smaller cabinets with the fat HF coax you saw
for TV and cable modems, and multi-pair copper for telephone. These
smaller cabinets have HF splitters and Krone blocks from which a single
shotgun coax/copper cable feeds each property.

This is the historic cable system used here for 20 to 25 years, the
original cable systems in the eighties used even larger coax along the
main roads to the large boxes, which gave very noisy TV pictures due to
all the amplifiers needed.

Virgin Media is also installing fibre to the premises in some new areas,
which they call RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass), so they can use
similar cable modems and TV boxes.

Angus

Old August 11th 17, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in
message .co.uk...
[...]

Don't forget that the original systems were analogue so the pictures
would degrade with distance, hence the thicker co-ax.

It's all them ones and noughts thingies nowadays!

Old August 12th 17, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 08:25:43 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Peter Andrews wrote:

[...]