More "cable"

Old August 15th 17, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default More "cable"

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Okay, not actually cable but like the other piece, found under a
hedge near where Virgin have been cabling.

https://goo.gl/photos/9A5y715Nj2Pv5Y58A

1/2" diameter, four empty colour coded tubes within an insulating
sheath with foil screening.

This time I'm guessing that it's ducting for fibre-optic cables.
Why does it need screening if it's for fibre?

Correct, empty fibre tubes waiting for fibre to be blown in.

The foil is so that metal detectors above ground will be able to see
it - plastic and glass don't show up too well......

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 15th 17, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Woody wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Okay, not actually cable but like the other piece, found under a
hedge near where Virgin have been cabling.

https://goo.gl/photos/9A5y715Nj2Pv5Y58A

1/2" diameter, four empty colour coded tubes within an insulating
sheath with foil screening.

This time I'm guessing that it's ducting for fibre-optic cables.
Why does it need screening if it's for fibre?

Correct, empty fibre tubes waiting for fibre to be blown in.

The foil is so that metal detectors above ground will be able to see
it - plastic and glass don't show up too well......

Duh. Of course. Thanks.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 17th 17, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

Looks more like the scrap outer sheath of a four tube fibre cable to me
,the bit that's removed so they can join the fibres in the tubes to the
pig tails (connectors) in the fibre tray.

You can see the tubes are colour coded blue orange green and normally
the next colour would be brown but it looks like red ???

The foil is there to keep the water out, if water gets in and freezes it
can theoretically damage the cable. The foil is what makes me fairly
certain it's scrap cable outer sheathing.Blown fibre tubing normally
looks like a very long drinking straw.

Old August 18th 17, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 17/08/2017 21:28, grinch wrote:
The foil is there to keep the water out, if water gets in and freezes it
can theoretically damage the cable.

Whenever I've looked a foil wraps it's a long spiral wound around - not
a hermetic seal. The two plastic layers, OTOH almost certainly are
watertight.

Andy