ADSL - FTTC - ADSL

Old August 19th 17, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Default ADSL - FTTC - ADSL

Is there a downside to signing up for Openreach FTTC for a short period?

If I have a line that's happily on ADSL, and I decide to subscribe to FTTC,
at the end of the FTTC contract how easy is it to go back to ADSL? Do you
get hit by (dis|re)connection fees? Or are there any other problems with
switching from FTTC to ADSL?

(I assume they actually re-jumper you back to ADSL, rather than run the FTTC
plant you now have at a lower speed?)

Thanks
Theo
Old August 19th 17, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On 19 Aug 2017 11:23:33 +0100 (BST)
Theo wrote:

Is there a downside to signing up for Openreach FTTC for a short
period?

If I have a line that's happily on ADSL, and I decide to subscribe to
FTTC, at the end of the FTTC contract how easy is it to go back to
ADSL? Do you get hit by (dis|re)connection fees? Or are there any
other problems with switching from FTTC to ADSL?

(I assume they actually re-jumper you back to ADSL, rather than run
the FTTC plant you now have at a lower speed?)

Thanks
Theo

Do you contract with Openreach, or BT? And if you contract with BT,
then I would suggest going instead to somebody else, such as Zen; BT
love to tie people in to as many unfriendly confusing agreements as
they can.
And then they have been known to suddenly find a much cheaper plan,
when you threaten to leave.
As far as I know, all Fibre contracts are for a minimum of 12 months,
so that would be the shortest period you could try.

--
Davey.
Old August 19th 17, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Theo wrote:

[...]

AAISP's FTTC contracts are 6 months minimum term. Their explanation
is at http://www.revk.uk/2017/03/misleading-customers.html

"FTTC on BT backhaul we sell on 6 month terms even though we are stung
with 12 months terms from BT. This is because what we pay BT for the
circuit is only part of the cost - it does not cover the bandwidth usage,
for example."