FTTC cabinet change - it's happened!

Old August 19th 17, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default FTTC cabinet change - it's happened!

A little while ago I asked in here what were the chances of getting my
FTTC connection moved from a distant to a closer cabinet. The answers
in general were not encouraging.

Well, it seems it's happened all by itself. We had a total loss of
service a couple of days ago, I reported it to Plusnet and they said
it was due to a major system problem of some sort and that I'd get the
connection back in a few hours. It came back within a couple of hours
and now the speed is jammed up against the maximum 40Mb/s that we're
paying for.

The router reports the 'Max rate' as 86Mb/s doenload and 26Mb/s upload.

Which ISPs (if any) will give me more of that available speed at not
too ridiculous prices? PlusNet charge 5/month more for their
"Unlimited Fibre Extra" which I suppose isn't too bad. What I really
want is some more of that upload speed (we only get 2Mb/s at present).

--
Chris Green

Old August 19th 17, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Chris Green" wrote in message
[...]

I've never seen FTTC give more than about 6 Mbps. I thought it was a maximum
value, like 448 or 896 kbps was for ADSL, independent of what download speed
you got. Do some FTTC tariffs give you a higher (or lower) upload speed as
well?

Old August 19th 17, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chris Green wrote:

What I really want is some more of that upload speed (we only get
2Mb/s at present).

I think it's crazy that (as well as the 80/20) plusnet now offer 40/2
instead of 40/10 as their lower FTTC offering.

Old August 19th 17, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 19/08/2017 19:20, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

What I really want is some more of that upload speed (we only get
2Mb/s at present).

I think it's crazy that (as well as the 80/20) plusnet now offer 40/2
instead of 40/10 as their lower FTTC offering.

I've got 40/10 with Plusnet - but mine dates back to before they changed

the rules.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old August 19th 17, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 19-Aug-17 7:09 PM, NY wrote:
[...]

What a load of rubbish, there is a maximum upload speed of 20Mbps for
FTTC which many ISPs provide.

There is so much crap sprouted on this group!
Old August 19th 17, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

I've never seen FTTC give more than about 6 Mbps.

You have now ...

Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Annex: B
Profile: 17a
Data Rate: 77.987 Mb/s / 19.999 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate: 79.638 Mb/s / 27.648 Mb/s
Old August 20th 17, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 19/08/2017 19:09, NY wrote:
[...]

I have "infinity II" (don't worry too much, BT seem open to negotiating
new deals when the old "introductory" offers expire) and usually get
close to the limits. Its a bit slow this morning 63 down, 18 up..

Dave
Old August 20th 17, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Roger Mills wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I think it's crazy that (as well as the 80/20) plusnet now offer 40/2
instead of 40/10 as their lower FTTC offering.

I've got 40/10 with Plusnet - but mine dates back to before they changed

the rules.

My neighbour took out 40/10 at the same time I took 80/20, I think he
got swapped over to 55/10.
Old August 20th 17, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 20 August 2017 11:00:57 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I think it's crazy that (as well as the 80/20) plusnet now offer 40/2
instead of 40/10 as their lower FTTC offering.

I've got 40/10 with Plusnet - but mine dates back to before they changed

the rules.

My neighbour took out 40/10 at the same time I took 80/20, I think he
got swapped over to 55/10.

Last year BT upped standard infinity from mid 30's to 52MBps down and IIRC 10Mbps up. This upgrade took me close to the predicted maximum where I am of 40Mbps down and 9Mbps up - no point ordering Infinity 2 (76 down; 19 up), it won't go any faster.
Old August 20th 17, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Chris Green
writes
[...]

How far are you from the cabinet - as the cable runs?
--
bert