Have BT made a change?

Old August 25th 17, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Have BT made a change?

I'm sure dslchecker.bt.com used to show the length of the line but now
it seems to have disappeared.

Am I wrong, has it been changed, or is it a different site that gives
that info?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 25th 17, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Woody wrote:

I'm sure dslchecker.bt.com used to show the length of the line

I don't remember it ever giving that info.
Old August 25th 17, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Woody wrote:

I'm sure dslchecker.bt.com used to show the length of the line

I don't remember it ever giving that info.

Something did and I'm sure it was that site.

I have been helping a farmer in E Somerset with his broadband and
putting in any one of his three line numbers came up with a line
length of 2906m or something like that - but on a good day he can just
about get 3Mb although more commonly just under 2Mb which is a bit
puzzling.

Mind you I don't have a lot of faith. The site also shows him to be
connected to cabinet 2 which has FTTC capability but there are no
cabinets on the small rural exchange to which he is connected, only
pole-top DPs. Cabinet 2 is on the central exchange for the nearby main
town and is farther away from his exchange than he is! Dslchecker also
says that 300Mb FTTC is available to him - oh no it isn't. His serving
exchange doesn't even have 21CN, only ADSL.

I'll find it one day.

Old August 25th 17, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 25/08/17 09:08, Woody wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Woody wrote:

[...]

ISTR it was(is?) available on one of the 17070 options - 3 or 4?

Phil

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old August 25th 17, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

PeeGee wrote:

Woody wrote:

I'm sure dslchecker.bt.com used to show the length of the line

ISTR it was(is?) available on one of the 17070 options - 3 or 4?

Yes I think so, but they seem to be "guarded" by requiring a BT
employee's mobile number now.
Old August 25th 17, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
PeeGee wrote:

Woody wrote:

I'm sure dslchecker.bt.com used to show the length of the line

ISTR it was(is?) available on one of the 17070 options - 3 or 4?

Yes I think so, but they seem to be "guarded" by requiring a BT
employee's mobile number now.

I found it. Its under the Code-Look/postcodes on Angus' site
www.magsys.co.uk

For the number concerned it says 2905m but the cab info is wrong.
Dslchecker says Cab2 but I think it should be Exchange2 which means
the cable run is about right and there is no FTTC.

Old August 25th 17, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 07:53:46 +0100
"Woody" wrote:

I'm sure dslchecker.bt.com used to show the length of the line but
now it seems to have disappeared.

Am I wrong, has it been changed, or is it a different site that gives
that info?

When we were anticipating fibre in our village, that site gave
projected activation days that came and went. Then one day, well past
the last published date, it was suddenly there. BT didn't tell anybody,
not even ISPs, it just happened, and the news spread by word of mouth.
The site was still showing the same activation date months later.

So I would not have much trust in anything it says. Just like BT in
general.

--
Davey.
Old August 25th 17, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article , Woody wrote:

I found it. Its under the Code-Look/postcodes on Angus' site
www.magsys.co.uk

Note that's the straight line distance to the exchange, not the cable
length.

-- Richard
Old August 25th 17, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

For the number concerned it says 2905m but the cab info is wrong.
Dslchecker says Cab2 but I think it should be Exchange2 which
means the cable run is about right and there is no FTTC.

I know where every exchange is to a few metres, post codes vary in size
from a few metres to kilometers in the countryside, so exchange
distance is always a guess.

I don't know where any cabinets are located, CodeLook guesses the post
code closest to the exchange, so there are no distances from cabinets.

Since exchange only lines can not get FTTC, Openreach is sometimes
installing new cabinets and moving lines onto them, so the future
cabinet plans data is very flexible. Some such lines might get FTTP,
others FTTRN which is effectively a baby cabinet for low density areas.

Angus

Old August 25th 17, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in
message .co.uk...
[...]

The farmer concerned has been tld by BT that they will be laying fibre
down the main road past his access road this Autumn and that he will
then be able to have proper high speed (for which he is supposedly
paying noew.)

I'll believe that when I see it!