BT's DNS servers

Old September 7th 17, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Default BT's DNS servers

Roderick Stewart wrote:

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 08:14:50 +0100, Bob Henson
wrote:

Try google's 8.8.8.8 for comparison

That's what I switched to - via Windows networking rather than the
locked router. It works a treat so far. Pages find/load faster than they
have done for some time.

But Google probably knows everything you're looking at...

As opposed to Bhtee yummie and their Phorm deep packet inspection to
deliver you crap ads. Illegal now.

Old September 7th 17, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_2_]

wrote:

Try google's 8.8.8.8 for comparison

That's what I switched to - via Windows networking rather than the
locked router. It works a treat so far. Pages find/load faster than they
have done for some time.

But Google probably knows everything you're looking at...

As opposed to Bhtee yummie and their Phorm deep packet inspection to
deliver you crap ads. Illegal now.

BT say that enforce the use of their DNS servers so they can "protect"
you and any youngsters using the connection. You may need to go into BT
Privacy (on MyBT) and enable and then disable the various protection
options.

Dave
(more leaks from BT's Indian Call centre reported yesterday..
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/06/bt_call_scam/
)
Old September 7th 17, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_3_]

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 11:45:48 +0100, David Wade wrote:

wrote:

Try google's 8.8.8.8 for comparison

That's what I switched to - via Windows networking rather than the
locked router. It works a treat so far. Pages find/load faster than
they have done for some time.

But Google probably knows everything you're looking at...

As opposed to Bhtee yummie and their Phorm deep packet inspection to
deliver you crap ads. Illegal now.

BT say that enforce the use of their DNS servers so they can "protect"
you and any youngsters using the connection. You may need to go into BT
Privacy (on MyBT) and enable and then disable the various protection
options.

I run a local DNS server and use that; it's what all the machines on the
network use. A bit more difficult if DHCP is handing out another DNS
address, but I guess you could (as I do) set up your own DHCP server too!

(mine is actually a primary DNS for my domains too, so I'd have it anyway)
Old September 12th 17, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Bartram

On 05/09/2017 16:54, Bob Henson wrote:
I use BT Infinity 1 and I've been having problems with time-outs for
some weeks now. The connection speed is high and there are no drop-outs
as such when you finally get past the time-outs. I'm connected to the
router by ethernet cable. Test changes of (Windows 7) email clients and
browsers made no improvement, so I came to the conclusion it was BT's
DNS servers. I finally decided to change the settings only to find the
BT HomeHub has them "hardwired" in and you can't do it. I finally got
tired of waiting for them to do anything and changed to Google's DNS
servers in the Windows 7 network set up. It's a nuisance doing it that
way as I have to change each piece of kit separately - but the problem
vanished instantly.

Finally getting round to the question - is anyone else seeing this? It
seems odd that the community groups and Usenet aren't chock full of
complaining BT customers - but even more odd if I'm the only one with a
problem. I may, of course, be missing something obvious.

I recently (end of August/start of Sept) stayed in a holiday cottage
with BT ADSL and the performance was fairly poor, notably DNS in
particular: many, many timeouts, very slow resolution.