BT sneaky offer

Old September 9th 17, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Default BT sneaky offer

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

BT sent me an email today subject "Our BT Smart Hub could be yours today"

In it said

"How to get your BT Smart Hub

We'll deliver your BT Smart Hub directly to your home (you'll need to pay
£9.99 delivery charge). It fits through your letterbox, and it's
super-simple to set up.

1. Click on the button below and log in with your BT ID
and password

2. Select ‘Get this offer' on your homepage

3. Follow the on-screen upgrade process."

Well NO if course it wasn't a new router for £9.99p, but a swizz to tr and
get me to sign up for 18 months at a much higher monthly fee half way
through my current annual deal.

No surprise really :-(

And if you on peak speed of 70 mbits, it will switch you down to 50mbits
(the current average speed). So you can't claim to be any wiser.

These fscking trolls and their keyhole internet.

Old September 9th 17, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chronos wrote:

'tis fixed in the latest snapshot. Kernel updated to 4.9.47 as well.
Still not stratospheric performance but the VPN has definitely improved.

Installed fine, before I was seeing hostapd eat 100% CPU during heavy
wifi usage, now downloading a big .iso file, I got ~70Mbps over wifi,
one CPU pegged at 100% by softirqd, the other about 5%, so seems good.

I think lock-ups when using eth1 was another reason SMP was disabled,
I'll try to use it ...

Is it normal for luci to not be included in smapshots?

Old September 10th 17, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 13:46:56 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Sep 2017 12:10:21 GMT
(AnthonyL) wrote:

Anyhow this SPECIAL offer is aimed at them and not me. I wonder what
will happen if I ring up and say I want it?

They will give it to you, then in a year's time, they will tell you
that it was an error, and you owe them a load of back-charges.

Don't be silly.

--
AnthonyL
Old September 11th 17, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 8 September 2017 12:30:41 UTC+1, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 03:46:14 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

Setup was just a matter of swapping plugs and then entering the new
wireless details into all connected devices,

easier to change the password in the router to be the same as the old one!

That would work, but then the wireless details would no longer match
the handy printed sticker and the handy pull-out tab provided with the
hub.

So swap the tab!

Then there's the risk that a software update might make them
revert to factory defaults. I don't know if the BT hubs do this, but I
have seen it happen on similar equipment. If you're not available at
short notice to the user to correct issues like this, it's safest to
keep to defaults as much as possible.

And keep the old one in a safe place.

. Wireless coverage was noticeably
better though, even just testing crudely by walking around the
premises and using speedtest.net on a phone. It really does seem to
have made a difference, and you may feel that this alone is worth
paying extra for - if it actually is extra (see above).

[...]

You can also improve wi-fi by getting a repeater. About £15.

Yes, and I have used these, but all-wireless repeaters reduce the
speed to a half. In this particular installation, I'd previously
installed an extension wireless access point fed through the mains
wiring using a pair of those ethernet homeplug devices. With the
superior wireless performance of the new superhub, it may be possible
to remove this, but I've left it in situ for the time being, pending
further investigation, and being bothered to do it.

Rod.

Indeed but the wi-fi link is still faster than DSL.
Old September 12th 17, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 07:29:03 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

Setup was just a matter of swapping plugs and then entering the new
wireless details into all connected devices,

easier to change the password in the router to be the same as the old one!

That would work, but then the wireless details would no longer match
the handy printed sticker and the handy pull-out tab provided with the
hub.

So swap the tab!

With what? It's a piece of moulded plastic which is an exact fit in a
slot in the back of the Superhub, and is a different shape from the
old one.

Rod.