BT [Yahoo!] servers screwed yet again

Old October 26th 17, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default BT [Yahoo!] servers screwed yet again

Can't access email from Outlook [2013], tablet nor phone. Third or fourth time in two weeks - outages last many hours. Can still log into web mail.

Usually affects main account, but two sub accounts briefly affected on Monday.

Very little held online (.ost), so hard to see any rationale, such as difficulty syncing [with Outlook].

When Oh when are BT going to dump Yahoo! and do email properly?
Old October 26th 17, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 04:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

Can't access email from Outlook [2013], tablet nor phone. Third or
fourth time in two weeks - outages last many hours. Can still log
into web mail.

Usually affects main account, but two sub accounts briefly affected
on Monday.

Very little held online (.ost), so hard to see any rationale, such as
difficulty syncing [with Outlook].

When Oh when are BT going to dump Yahoo! and do email properly?

About the same time they provide full Broadband infrastructure to all
parts of Britain?

Get rid of BT for your e-mail (and everything else).

--
Davey.
Old October 26th 17, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

Can't access email from Outlook [2013], tablet nor phone. Third or
fourth time in two weeks - outages last many hours. Can still log
into web mail.

Usually affects main account, but two sub accounts briefly affected
on Monday.

Very little held online (.ost), so hard to see any rationale, such as
difficulty syncing [with Outlook].

When Oh when are BT going to dump Yahoo! and do email properly?

About the same time they provide full Broadband infrastructure to all
parts of Britain?

Get rid of BT for your e-mail (and everything else).

--
Davey.

The problem is I have a twenty+ year old BTI address and they want 5 per month just to keep it online.

They do supply physical lines (private road - no cable), but the VOIP and calls go elsewhere now.
Old December 25th 17, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 26/10/2017 12:41, Davey wrote:
About the same time they provide full Broadband infrastructure to all
parts of Britain?

You can always change to Virgin Fibre or someone else, surely they all
provide full Broadband infrastructure to all parts of Britain ?
Old December 25th 17, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 19:32:09 +0000
MB wrote:

On 26/10/2017 12:41, Davey wrote:
About the same time they provide full Broadband infrastructure to
all parts of Britain?

You can always change to Virgin Fibre or someone else, surely they
all provide full Broadband infrastructure to all parts of Britain ?

" Our services aren't currently available in your area

We've checked your address, (half and hour from Bury St. Edmunds, an
hour from Norwich), and unfortunately it looks like you can't get our
services right now."
Virgin Media.

--
Davey.

Old December 25th 17, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 25/12/2017 20:03, Davey wrote:
" Our services aren't currently available in your area

We've checked your address, (half and hour from Bury St. Edmunds, an
hour from Norwich), and unfortunately it looks like you can't get our
services right now."
Virgin Media.

Just amuses me that it is always BT who get all the comments on coverage
whilst their competitors cherry-pick the profitable areas but seem to
get away without getting the same criticism.

Old December 26th 17, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Just amuses me that it is always BT who get all the comments on
coverage whilst their competitors cherry-pick the profitable
areas but seem to get away without getting the same criticism.

Perhaps because BT inherited a nationwide duct and cable network when the GPO
was privatised at far less it's commercial value and is allowed to continue
using cheap telegraph poles and drop cables to serve premises.

Even today, the government has paid BT billions to subsidise broadband instead
of BT shareholders paying and the public is now expected to pay billions more
for USO.

Meanwhile the cable companies have to build new duct past every property they
wish to serve without any public subsidy. and is not allowed cables above
ground. I'm sure we all agree this makes much more pleasant streets than in
the USA with massive flying cable bundles, but it's not a level playing field.

The cable companies cherry picked areas just as BT does, declaring thousands of
exchanges unprofitable for commercial FTTC rollout, thus requiring BDUK
subsidies.

Angus

Old October 26th 17, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ant

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:
When Oh when are BT going to dump Yahoo! and do email properly?

I thought they had. My server is mail.btinternet.com and there's no
mention of Yahoo in any headers.

Old October 27th 17, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:57:29 +0100, "Ant" wrote:

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:
When Oh when are BT going to dump Yahoo! and do email properly?

I thought they had. My server is mail.btinternet.com and there's no
mention of Yahoo in any headers.

Plenty of Yahoo mentions in my [email protected] to [email protected] email eg

from=btinternet.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig);
from=btinternet.com; dkim=pass (ok)

by mta1040.bt.mail.ir2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 26 Oct 2017
21:12:25 +0000

BT had embarked on a mission to move their servers to an outfit called
Critical Path (?) but the project stalled and hasn't been mentioned
for a few years. Maybe you were one of the few to be moved.

--
AnthonyL
Old October 27th 17, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ant

"AnthonyL" wrote:
Plenty of Yahoo mentions in my [email protected] to [email protected] email eg

from=btinternet.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig);
from=btinternet.com; dkim=pass (ok)

by mta1040.bt.mail.ir2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 26 Oct 2017
21:12:25 +0000

BT had embarked on a mission to move their servers to an outfit called
Critical Path (?) but the project stalled and hasn't been mentioned
for a few years. Maybe you were one of the few to be moved.

I joined BT in November 2014 and have never had mail routed through
Yahoo. Below is the full routing info from a recent email from the
point it left the sender's ESP to me (with appropriate redactions []).

id 5822673206E776D2 for [my email addr]; Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:49:14 +0100

id 5996E5298935DED8 for [my email addr]; Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:49:13 +0100