Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

Old December 21st 17, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

Default Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

On 21-Dec-17 4:31 PM, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/12/2017 12:23, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 19:44:48 UTC, Mark Carver* wrote:

If he paid more (a lot more) he could have 330 megs. So in theory
in his case the FON service needn't impact his connection speed at all ?
(I haven't it enabled BTW, I'm being a scrooge !)

330MHz is for full fibre.* You might need this for a busy office, but
unlikely for domestic.

Yes, quite, but the point I was making is that in an FTTP connection,
there's plenty of headroom available (with a 50 Mb/s package), so your
private speed should not be affected ?

I did enable FON years ago, I didn't think there was a choice now.

Well, the router's default is now to have it switched off, you have to
switch it on in the advanced menu. It surprised me, I think years ago
the only way to disable it was to ring BT and ask to have it switched off ?

BTwifi (FON) is enabled by default and it can't be turned off on the
router other than by BT turning it off as it is a network facility. I.e
if it is turned off for your BTID you will not be able to access it
whilst out and about.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...of-bt-wi-fi%3F
Old December 21st 17, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Tim+ wrote:
Mark Carver Wrote in message:
On 20/12/2017 12:22, Martin Brown wrote:

Strictly speaking the BT "FON" service means that other people can
use your router, but NOT your connection to the internet.

Actually BT FON does steal a proportion of your internet bandwidth (ISTR
upto 10%) but the outside users cannot see your private wifi network. It
is pretty much like having a guest network on your router.

I wonder what happens on FTTP connections ? My lad has just
gone live with his. He gets 52 megs down, and 10 up, which
is more or less the tariff he's been restricted to.

If he paid more (a lot more) he could have 330 megs. So in theory
in his case the FON service needn't impact his connection speed at all ?
(I haven't it enabled BTW, I'm being a scrooge !)

Does this not remove your ability (or at least moral right!) to
use other FONs though? I thought that with FON providing a FON
entitled and enabled you to use other FONs. I'm pretty sure
that BT do check periodically whether your FON is active or
not.

This is certainly the case for a 'real' FON account. I'm not with BT
but I have a FON 'Fonera' router. As long as I keep that turned on and
providing access for FON clients I get to be able to use the FON
network myself. If I turn it off I lose my FON access.

--
Chris Green

Old December 21st 17, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Chris Green wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Ditto. I have a Fonera too.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old December 21st 17, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 20/12/2017 19:44, Mark Carver wrote:

I wonder what happens on FTTP connections ? My lad has just
gone live with his. He gets 52 megs down, and 10 up, which
is more or less the tariff he's been restricted to.

I see FON networks. I assume they're off my router from the signal
strength. I can also see my neighbours (ditto) but around here there's
nobody else. Which is why I haven't bothered about it.

Andy
Old December 22nd 17, 06:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Biggles

Dick Wrote in message:
[...]

FON is off on my BT supplied router and cannot be turned on using
either BT's opt in on the account (because I'm already opted in)
or on the router itself. This dates back to a botched firmware
update which screwed up my own WiFi speed. BT eventually gave me
(and others) a patch which fixed the speed but disabled FON. I
can access all BT's public WiFi nodes in the UK (whether FON or
not ) but haven't yet been able to connect to a FON node in
Europe. The BT WiFi app doesn't seem to recognise
them.
--
Biggles

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old December 22nd 17, 07:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/12/2017 17:58, Dick wrote:

BTwifi (FON) is enabled by default and it can't be turned off on the
router other than by BT turning it off as it is a network facility. I.e
if it is turned off for your BTID you will not be able to access it
whilst out and about.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...of-bt-wi-fi%3F

Whatever you and BT say, but I can assure you there isn't any 'FON'
network radiating from my lad's BT hub, and there is a click box to
enable it in the advanced menu.

--
Mark
Old December 22nd 17, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/12/2017 16:52, Tim+ wrote:

Does this not remove your ability (or at least moral right!) to
use other FONs though?

Maybe, but does that matter ?

--
Mark
Old December 22nd 17, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/12/2017 16:52, Tim+ wrote:

Does this not remove your ability (or at least moral right!) to
use other FONs though?

Maybe, but does that matter ?

Well not if you aren't hoping to use them. ;-)

It has to be said though that 4G has made public Wi-Fi handy only as a
means of saving on data, it's virtually never quicker than 4G and I find it
more of a hindrance than a help these days.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old December 22nd 17, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Tim+" wrote in message
Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/12/2017 16:52, Tim+ wrote:

Does this not remove your ability (or at least moral right!) to
use other FONs though?

Maybe, but does that matter ?

Well not if you aren't hoping to use them. ;-)

It has to be said though that 4G has made public Wi-Fi handy only as
means of saving on data, it's virtually never quicker than 4G and I
find it
more of a hindrance than a help these days.

What is more 4G is secure - which is more than can be said for most
public wi-fi!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 22nd 17, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Tim+ wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/12/2017 16:52, Tim+ wrote:

Does this not remove your ability (or at least moral right!) to
use other FONs though?

Maybe, but does that matter ?

Well not if you aren't hoping to use them. ;-)

It has to be said though that 4G has made public Wi-Fi handy only as a
means of saving on data, it's virtually never quicker than 4G and I find it
more of a hindrance than a help these days.

What 4G? Where? Round here I might get 2G on high ground.

Here, landline at 1.5Mbits/sec beats mobile for performance and reliability.

And where am I? A rural area near Norwich, nearly walking distance from
the A11 ...

--
Graham J