Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

Old December 22nd 17, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

Default Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

On 22-Dec-17 7:26 AM, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/12/2017 17:58, Dick wrote:

BTwifi (FON) is enabled by default and it can't be turned off on the
router other than by BT turning it off as it is a network facility.
I.e if it is turned off for your BTID you will not be able to access
it whilst out and about.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...of-bt-wi-fi%3F

Whatever you and BT say, but I can assure you there isn't any 'FON'
network radiating from my lad's BT hub, and there is a click box to
enable it in the advanced menu.

There is no option for the user to disable/enable BTwifi(FON) on a home
hub. There are options to turn off wifi completely. If it is not
transmitting FON it is due to a fault not any user action.
Old December 22nd 17, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 22/12/2017 08:54, Dick wrote:

There is no option for the user to disable/enable BTwifi(FON) on a home
hub. There are options to turn off wifi completely. If it is not
transmitting FON it is due to a fault not any user action.

I'll post a screenshot of the menu page over the weekend.

--
Mark
Old December 22nd 17, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 22/12/2017 08:29, Graham J wrote:

What 4G?* Where?* Round here I might get 2G on high ground.

Which network ? I rarely see anything below 3G on EE these days, even in
rural locations

--
Mark
Old December 22nd 17, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Tim+ wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/12/2017 16:52, Tim+ wrote:

Does this not remove your ability (or at least moral right!) to
use other FONs though?

Maybe, but does that matter ?

Well not if you aren't hoping to use them. ;-)

It has to be said though that 4G has made public Wi-Fi handy only as a
means of saving on data, it's virtually never quicker than 4G and I find it
more of a hindrance than a help these days.

But in rural areas (like where our house is in Suffolk) and in out of
the way places in France (where we often find ourselves in our boat)
FON can be very useful as there may not be any sort of mobile signal
let alone 4G.

--
Chris Green

Old December 22nd 17, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 22/12/2017 08:24, Woody wrote:

What is more 4G is secure - which is more than can be said for most
public wi-fi!

Indeed. I use public WiFi less and less these days on my phone. I've got
a 10 GB allowance, and I end most billing months with over 9 Gigs left
still.

--
Mark
Old December 22nd 17, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/12/2017 19:44, Mark Carver wrote:

I wonder what happens on FTTP connections ? My lad has just
gone live with his. He gets 52 megs down, and 10 up, which
is more or less the tariff he's been restricted to.

I see FON networks. I assume they're off my router from the signal
strength. I can also see my neighbours (ditto) but around here there's
nobody else. Which is why I haven't bothered about it.

Using your neighbour's FON can be handy if your ADSL/FTTC goes off for
some reason. I use my neighbour's if/when I'm doing something to our
ADSL which involves turning it off.

--
Chris Green

Old December 22nd 17, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Henson

Mark Carver wrote:

On 22/12/2017 08:29, Graham J wrote:

What 4G?* Where?* Round here I might get 2G on high ground.

Which network ? I rarely see anything below 3G on EE these days, even in
rural locations

Try Gloucestershire - there are lots of places with no EE or O2 signal at
all. Indoors there are more dead spots than not in the rural parts and some
of the towns.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

If God created mankind, how come Adam and Eve have belly-buttons?
Old December 22nd 17, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Mark Carver wrote:
On 22/12/2017 08:29, Graham J wrote:

What 4G? Where? Round here I might get 2G on high ground.

Which network ? I rarely see anything below 3G on EE these days, even in
rural locations

Vodafone. Users of EE round here don't get any service at all, from
what I hear.

--
Graham J

Old December 22nd 17, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 22-Dec-17 9:43 AM, Mark Carver wrote:
On 22/12/2017 08:54, Dick wrote:

There is no option for the user to disable/enable BTwifi(FON) on a
home hub. There are options to turn off wifi completely. If it is not
transmitting FON it is due to a fault not any user action.

I'll post a screenshot of the menu page over the weekend.

I'll be very interested to see that.
Old December 22nd 17, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 22/12/2017 08:54, Dick wrote:

There is no option for the user to disable/enable BTwifi(FON) on a
home hub. There are options to turn off wifi completely. If it is not
transmitting FON it is due to a fault not any user action.

I'll post a screenshot of the menu page over the weekend.

I'll be very interested to see that.

See this, the hub has an upgrade on Dec 19th. Now no mention of FON at
all, and a reference (but no means to enable) to BT WiFi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejbnj3ifrt...544_2.jpg?dl=0

--
Mark