Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

Old December 22nd 17, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Clare

Default Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

Graham. wrote:

Was there a telephone number presented with this call that you could
share?

Don't know, sorry. I didn't think to dial 1471 afterwards, and there's
been another incoming call since then.

--
Geoff Clare
Old December 22nd 17, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 22-Dec-17 12:44 PM, Mark Carver wrote:
On 22/12/2017 11:31, Dick wrote:
On 22-Dec-17 9:43 AM, Mark Carver wrote:
On 22/12/2017 08:54, Dick wrote:

There is no option for the user to disable/enable BTwifi(FON) on a
home hub. There are options to turn off wifi completely. If it is
not transmitting FON it is due to a fault not any user action.

I'll post a screenshot of the menu page over the weekend.

I'll be very interested to see that.

See this, the hub has an upgrade on Dec 19th. Now no mention of FON at
all, and a reference (but no means to enable) to BT WiFi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejbnj3ifrt...544_2.jpg?dl=0

There never was, it has always been the case that BT WiFi had to be
enabled/disabled via the web site not on the hub itself. It has to be
that way as the action of disabling BT WiFi also disables that BTIDs
access to other hotspots.
Old December 22nd 17, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 22/12/2017 09:45, Mark Carver wrote:

Which network ? I rarely see anything below 3G on EE these days, even in
rural locations

NONE of the networks have any more than marginal coverage in our
village. Less than 20 miles from Cambridge...

Andy
Old December 23rd 17, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine

On 22/12/17 08:24, Woody wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

[snip]

What is more 4G is secure - which is more than can be said for most
public wi-fi!

The problem with 4G for those of us on PAYG is that it costs money.
Public wifi is free. I use AVG's VPN service to encrypt it when out and
about.

--
Ria in Aberdeen