Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

Old December 20th 17, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Clare

Default Strange call from "BT" asking me to turn off my router

I received a call from an Indian gentleman claiming to be from "BT"
and saying that there had been a problem at the exchange which caused
some damage to the line supplying my internet service. He said they
needed to work on it and asked me to turn off my router. Obviously
nonsense since I have FTTC so the "line supplying my internet service"
only goes as far as the cabinet up the road, but I feigned ignorance
and asked him to explain why he needed me to turn off my router.
He said they could see that someone else was using my internet
connection without my authorisation. I said I was the one using it,
to which he replied that someone else was using it as well, which they
could tell because more than one IP address was in use on my line.
Trying not to laugh at the very idea that some "damage" to a line at
the exchange would somehow magically enable additional IP addresses
on that line, I explained that I have a block of 8 IP addresses, so
it's normal for my line. He obviously had no answer to that in his
script, as he hung up.

I'm used to getting fake "support" calls from people trying to get
remote access to my computer, but I can't think what this person was
trying to achieve by getting me to turn off my router.

Anyone else had a call like this?

--
Geoff Clare
Old December 20th 17, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 11:41:04 UTC, Geoff Clare wrote:
[...]

Just a warm up before directing you to some site with malware.

Anyone else had a call like this?

Yes, but they don't get that far.

--
Geoff Clare

Strictly speaking the BT "FON" service means that other people can use your router, but NOT your connection to the internet.

This happens in my flat - my router is in the study, but the flat below's is in their lounge, so devices used in my lounge will roam on to the stronger FON signal immediately below.
Old December 20th 17, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 20/12/2017 12:13, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 11:41:04 UTC, Geoff Clare wrote:

Anyone else had a call like this?

Yes, but they don't get that far.

I generally ask them to wait while I get the guy who knows about these
things and leave them hanging on the line as a service to others who
might be taken in. They can't scam someone else whilst on my line.

Strictly speaking the BT "FON" service means that other people can
use your router, but NOT your connection to the internet.

Actually BT FON does steal a proportion of your internet bandwidth (ISTR
upto 10%) but the outside users cannot see your private wifi network. It
is pretty much like having a guest network on your router.

This happens in my flat - my router is in the study, but the flat
below's is in their lounge, so devices used in my lounge will roam on
to the stronger FON signal immediately below.

Their usage is recognisably different but it is coming off the same ADSL
link speed which matters if you are on a wet string rural service.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old December 20th 17, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 12:22:40 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 20/12/2017 12:13, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 11:41:04 UTC, Geoff Clare wrote:

Anyone else had a call like this?

Yes, but they don't get that far.

I generally ask them to wait while I get the guy who knows about these
things and leave them hanging on the line as a service to others who
might be taken in. They can't scam someone else whilst on my line.

Strictly speaking the BT "FON" service means that other people can
use your router, but NOT your connection to the internet.

Actually BT FON does steal a proportion of your internet bandwidth (ISTR
upto 10%)

FON seems a lot faster now, probably uses any spare bandwidth on the router, so if downstairs are out it goes pretty quick.

but the outside users cannot see your private wifi network. It
is pretty much like having a guest network on your router.

Indeed each has its own connection to the internet - they can't see yours or your network drives etc.

Old December 20th 17, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 20/12/2017 12:22, Martin Brown wrote:

Strictly speaking the BT "FON" service means that other people can
use your router, but NOT your connection to the internet.

Actually BT FON does steal a proportion of your internet bandwidth (ISTR
upto 10%) but the outside users cannot see your private wifi network. It
is pretty much like having a guest network on your router.

I wonder what happens on FTTP connections ? My lad has just
gone live with his. He gets 52 megs down, and 10 up, which
is more or less the tariff he's been restricted to.

If he paid more (a lot more) he could have 330 megs. So in theory
in his case the FON service needn't impact his connection speed at all ?
(I haven't it enabled BTW, I'm being a scrooge !)

--
Mark
Old December 21st 17, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 19:44:48 UTC, Mark Carver wrote:
On 20/12/2017 12:22, Martin Brown wrote:

Strictly speaking the BT "FON" service means that other people can
use your router, but NOT your connection to the internet.

Actually BT FON does steal a proportion of your internet bandwidth (ISTR
upto 10%) but the outside users cannot see your private wifi network. It
is pretty much like having a guest network on your router.

I wonder what happens on FTTP connections ? My lad has just
gone live with his. He gets 52 megs down, and 10 up, which
is more or less the tariff he's been restricted to.

If he paid more (a lot more) he could have 330 megs. So in theory
in his case the FON service needn't impact his connection speed at all ?
(I haven't it enabled BTW, I'm being a scrooge !)

330MHz is for full fibre. You might need this for a busy office, but unlikely for domestic.

I did enable FON years ago, I didn't think there was a choice now.

--
Mark

Old December 21st 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

I'm used to getting fake "support" calls from people trying to get
remote access to my computer, but I can't think what this person was
trying to achieve by getting me to turn off my router.

Psychology. "Social Engineering"
If their opening gambit is one that makes it impossible to further
connect to you, it may lure the vulnerable into a false sense of
security in thinking all subsequent requests are also in their
interest.

Was there a telephone number presented with this call that you could
share?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old December 21st 17, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/12/2017 12:23, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 19:44:48 UTC, Mark Carver wrote:

If he paid more (a lot more) he could have 330 megs. So in theory
in his case the FON service needn't impact his connection speed at all ?
(I haven't it enabled BTW, I'm being a scrooge !)

330MHz is for full fibre. You might need this for a busy office, but unlikely for domestic.

Yes, quite, but the point I was making is that in an FTTP connection,
there's plenty of headroom available (with a 50 Mb/s package), so your
private speed should not be affected ?

I did enable FON years ago, I didn't think there was a choice now.

Well, the router's default is now to have it switched off, you have to
switch it on in the advanced menu. It surprised me, I think years ago
the only way to disable it was to ring BT and ask to have it switched off ?

--
Mark
Old December 21st 17, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 21/12/2017 16:19, Graham. wrote:

Was there a telephone number presented with this call that you could
share?

I bet it started 00845

Old December 21st 17, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Mark Carver wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

330MHz is for full fibre. You might need this for a busy office, but unlikely for domestic.

Yes, quite, but the point I was making is that in an FTTP connection,
there's plenty of headroom available (with a 50 Mb/s package), so your
private speed should not be affected ?

I'd expect the FON bandwidth to be within the 50Mbs, not in the "slack".

Same as if you have e.g. 20Mbps ADSL, then the FON is within the
available bandwidth.