John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (traffic shaping)

Old January 23rd 18, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (traffic shaping)

BT will IIRC let you move the contract when you move.

Those home moving clauses are useless in the real world. You never
know if you will be moving to a property with ADSL, VDSL, or FTTP. Or
the phone line might be in the name of other person. Do ofcom and the
telecoms understand that people share homes, move out of the country,
divorce, remarry...?
Old January 23rd 18, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Winston Smith wrote:

It's funny that they offer 12 months to new customers

Phone them, they can be flexible if they want ...
Old January 23rd 18, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Winston Smith[_2_]

It's funny that they offer 12 months to new customers

Phone them, they can be flexible if they want ...

I'm not phoning them. The Now TV offer with a rolling contract is too
good. And they make you wait 30 minutes listening music before you can
talk to anybody.
Old January 23rd 18, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

wrote:
BT will IIRC let you move the contract when you move.

Those home moving clauses are useless in the real world. You never
know if you will be moving to a property with ADSL, VDSL, or FTTP. Or
the phone line might be in the name of other person. Do ofcom and the
telecoms understand that people share homes, move out of the country,
divorce, remarry...?

How's Ofcom supposed to regulate that? Divorce is hardly the ISP's problem
to solve.

Gotta say my move 18 months ago was pretty flawless. Plusnet landline and
ADSL.

Old January 23rd 18, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 17:32:12 UTC, Winston Smith wrote:
They are still advertising them on their website today.
Right hand tab or scroll down
(also no annual contract but for ADSL and not for fibre)

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

Note that the relative prices may still make it more favourable to take
an 18 month deal and pay to break the contract (read all small print).

It's funny that they offer 12 months to new customers, but I only see
18 a months when I login in my customer account with plus.net.

What's even worse is that new customers get 24 pounds a month and no
activation fee in Unlimited Fibre (18 months). To me, as an existing
customer they offer unlimited fibre at 34 per month (18 months).

The only way to deal with this nonsense is to leave for another
company after the contract ends.

What I am going to do is to join NowTV. They offer a deal with with a
44 setup fee and no minimum term. They are Sky resellers, and they
say they don't have traffic management.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-t...agement-policy

Plusnet are really BT, but the monkey not the organ grinder. Once you are in they will treat you like **** just like BT do.
Old January 23rd 18, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 13:27:34 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Winston Smith wrote:

65 ms ping. Will the ping time improve much?

Mine is about half that.

And mine is about half yours, yet I see other FTTC users who have about
half of mine.

I don't think it's related to interleaving or G.INP, do some ISPs "break
out" of the openReach backhaul in a different way to get sub-10ms first
hop times?

All FTTC providers on the Openreach system share the same DSLAM in the
cabinet for the conversion to copper.

Tweaks on the config might trade off stability for coding delay, but
BT and others dont encourage a low speed VDSL setup as it will hurt
the comparison stats......

Again the pipe is running a lot faster than ADSL on the same copper,
so needs faster processing on the DSP stuff and bits go in + out at
the negotiated rates (so significantly faster unless you get a really
slow link).

All of that should improve coding latency compared to ADSL

note the key word "should".... as there is always a way to break these
things
- again the stats on SamKnows give latency.

--
Stephen
Old January 23rd 18, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Winston Smith[_2_]

- again the stats on SamKnows give latency.

I cannot see the latency in SamKnows. It only gives me down/up speeds.

https://availability.samknows.com/br...adband_checker

BT FTTC broadband availability
FTTC is available in your area

Downstream Min: 58.1 Mbps
Downstream Max: 80 Mbps
Upstream Min: 19 Mbps
Upstream Max: 20 Mbps

Matched result using the phone you provided

Old January 24th 18, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Stephen wrote:

All FTTC providers on the Openreach system share the same DSLAM in the
cabinet for the conversion to copper.

Of course.

the stats on SamKnows give latency.

With a whitebox or without? Never seen latency info on samknows.

I wasn't really looking for an explanation related to the copper side of
the DSLAM toward my house, but differences in how the PPP session
reaches the ISP on the fibre side of the DSLAM.

My line is within a smidge of the maximum speed allowed by openreach
79.879 down and 19.999 up
Old January 24th 18, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Been with them for 7 years. Moved house recently and upgraded to FTTC. All
went smoothly, can't complain. Did have to ring CS once - to check on
progress of upgrade -which had a long wait, but the tech was friendly and
knowledgeable once I got through.

Old January 24th 18, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Chris wrote:

Plusnet are really BT, but the monkey not the organ grinder. Once you
are in they will treat you like **** just like BT do.

Been with them for 7 years. Moved house recently and upgraded to FTTC. All
went smoothly, can't complain. Did have to ring CS once - to check on
progress of upgrade -which had a long wait, but the tech was friendly and
knowledgeable once I got through.

That's been my experience for the past few years with PlusNet too (I
also upgraded to FTTC, just a few months ago). For a cheap ISP I
think they are pretty good. If you want better you have to pay more
for the likes of Zen or AAISP.

--
Chris Green