John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (traffic shaping)

Old January 24th 18, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

Default John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (trafficshaping)

On 23/01/2018 19:49, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Plusnet are really BT, but the monkey not the organ grinder. Once you are in they will treat you like **** just like BT do.

I found Plusnet were pretty good. I only dropped them because their FTTP
offering was beta only.

Andy
Old January 24th 18, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
On 23/01/2018 19:49, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Plusnet are really BT, but the monkey not the organ grinder. Once you
are in they will treat you like **** just like BT do.

I found Plusnet were pretty good. I only dropped them because their FTTP
offering was beta only.

Plusnet used to have excellent technical support - you were talking to an
English person (a Yorkshire person, even!) rather than someone trying to
speak Indian-English, as happens with their parent company, BT.

But recently they have slipped back a bit. They are still better than many,
but it takes longer to get through by phone or online chat, and they aren't
*quite* as accommodating. as they used to be. But I'd still recommend them
over BT, TalkTalk, Sky, Virgin etc.

Old January 25th 18, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 01:29:10 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Stephen wrote:

All FTTC providers on the Openreach system share the same DSLAM in the
cabinet for the conversion to copper.

Of course.

the stats on SamKnows give latency.

With a whitebox or without? Never seen latency info on samknows.

Apologies - edited the post and lost part of it.

Thinkbroadband collect stats from users tests. The aggregated stats
include latency by supplier
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...-december-2017

I wasn't really looking for an explanation related to the copper side of
the DSLAM toward my house, but differences in how the PPP session
reaches the ISP on the fibre side of the DSLAM.

My line is within a smidge of the maximum speed allowed by openreach
79.879 down and 19.999 up

--
Stephen
Old January 27th 18, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 23/01/2018 14:46, Winston Smith wrote:
65 ms ping. Will the ping time improve much?

Mine is about half that.

And mine is about half yours, yet I see other FTTC users who have about
half of mine.

I don't think it's related to interleaving or G.INP, do some ISPs "break
out" of the openReach backhaul in a different way to get sub-10ms first
hop times?

Probably depends a lot of things - where the server is, number of hops, time of day etc.

Yes, the ping times seem to depend a lot on which server you are using.

I am testing again today and the speed test from google (it uses a
server in London) and it gives again 65 ms. If I go to the test in
thinkbroadband.co.uk, it gives me 45 ms.

If I do myself 'ping bbc.co.uk' I get 32 ms (I am not sure if I
should compare this number with the test servers). And I am repeating
all the tests at the same time of the day.

The distance from my house to the exchange is 1 mile (as the pigeon flies).
The wire is likely 1.5 miles long.

The thinkbroadband.com ping monitor shows a 20 ms ping time for
my Vodafone FTTC connection.

If you are connected to a Market A exchange JL may work out cheaper than
Plusnet as unlike Plusnet they don't charge more at Market A exchanges.
Old January 29th 18, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 22/01/2018 21:33, wrote:
Last time I checked, JL broadband is outsourced to Plusnet.

Yes, but PN doesn't do traffic management anymore, while JL still says
they do traffic management

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusne...1453229/page/2

https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/faq/#whenbusy

That refers to a fairly improbably scenario. Under normal operation you
can expect things to be akin to Plusnet as far as traffic management (or
lack thereof!) is concerned.

Or did they stop doing it altogether when PN removed traffic management?
Did they just forget updating the FAQ?

Old January 29th 18, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_3_]

On 23/01/2018 19:49, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 17:32:12 UTC, Winston Smith wrote:
They are still advertising them on their website today.
Right hand tab or scroll down
(also no annual contract but for ADSL and not for fibre)

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

Note that the relative prices may still make it more favourable to take
an 18 month deal and pay to break the contract (read all small print).

It's funny that they offer 12 months to new customers, but I only see
18 a months when I login in my customer account with plus.net.

What's even worse is that new customers get 24 pounds a month and no
activation fee in Unlimited Fibre (18 months). To me, as an existing
customer they offer unlimited fibre at 34 per month (18 months).

The only way to deal with this nonsense is to leave for another
company after the contract ends.

What I am going to do is to join NowTV. They offer a deal with with a
44 setup fee and no minimum term. They are Sky resellers, and they
say they don't have traffic management.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-t...agement-policy

Plusnet are really BT, but the monkey not the organ grinder. Once you are in they will treat you like **** just like BT do.

never had a problem with PN tech, only had to contact them once and
problem solved.Been stable for 2 years.