John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (traffic shaping)

Old January 22nd 18, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Winston Smith[_2_]

Default John Lewis Broadband versus TalkTalk for VDSL/FTTC (traffic shaping)

Right now I have ADSL with Plus.net. Recently the the cabinet in my
street was fibre-enabled, and I can now get VDSL (FTTC).

Right now I am getting 1Mbps up/ 6Mbps down, and 65 ms ping. I will
be upgrading to 10Mbps up/38Mbps up. Will the ping time improve much?

I can try to get a higher speed 76Mbps product, but I doubt I can get
that speed 300 meters away from the cabinet or that there would be any
improvement in latency.

To upgrade with plus.net, I need to sign a 18-months contract, which
being in a short-term tenancy is unacceptable. PN support told me
the 18 months is a requirement from offcom.

John Lewis and TalkTalk offer 12-month contracts. I know John Lewis
does traffic shaping. How bad is traffic shaping for latency (ping
times)? Does TalkTalk do traffic shaping?

Any other suggestion for companies offering 12-month or shorter contracts?
Old January 22nd 18, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Winston Smith wrote:

Right now I have ADSL with Plus.net.

Last time I checked, JL broadband is outsourced to Plusnet.
Old January 22nd 18, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

To upgrade with plus.net, I need to sign a 18-months contract, which
being in a short-term tenancy is unacceptable. PN support told me
the 18 months is a requirement from offcom.

Obviously Zen are treated differently by Ofcom see link

https://www.zen.co.uk/yourhome/super...dband-packages

If you have the above in writing I suggest passing it on to the
Advertising standards as a complaint Ofcom might be interested as well
Old January 22nd 18, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Last time I checked, JL broadband is outsourced to Plusnet.

Yes, but PN doesn't do traffic management anymore, while JL still says
they do traffic management

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusne...1453229/page/2

https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/faq/#whenbusy

Or did they stop doing it altogether when PN removed traffic management?
Did they just forget updating the FAQ?
Old January 22nd 18, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_3_]

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:34:17 +0000, Winston Smith wrote:

To upgrade with plus.net, I need to sign a 18-months contract, which
being in a short-term tenancy is unacceptable. PN support told me the
18 months is a requirement from offcom.

Rubbish. I am on a 1 month contract, although penalties for leaving
earlier than 6 months (to cover the install cost).
Old January 22nd 18, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Winston Smith wrote:

Right now I have ADSL with Plus.net. Recently the the cabinet in my
street was fibre-enabled, and I can now get VDSL (FTTC).

Right now I am getting 1Mbps up/ 6Mbps down, and 65 ms ping. I will
be upgrading to 10Mbps up/38Mbps up. Will the ping time improve much?

I can try to get a higher speed 76Mbps product, but I doubt I can get
that speed 300 meters away from the cabinet or that there would be any
improvement in latency.

To upgrade with plus.net, I need to sign a 18-months contract, which
being in a short-term tenancy is unacceptable. PN support told me
the 18 months is a requirement from offcom.

John Lewis and TalkTalk offer 12-month contracts. I know John Lewis
does traffic shaping. How bad is traffic shaping for latency (ping
times)? Does TalkTalk do traffic shaping?

Any other suggestion for companies offering 12-month or shorter contracts?

What you want is local fibre unbundling but that don't happen here in UK
except between Openroach and its owner BT (British Telecum)
who install and sell 10gbit fibre line for 150 per month.

Here is how you are being served local copper 'unbundling'
with fibre right next to your house or nearest cabinet:

How krone tool master baitors BT attacked a UK village

These *fscking* BT (British Telecum) krone tool master
baiters and how they abuse UK villagers seems
to come with no limit.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...e-village.html

There is a lot of trolls talking up the topics
but everyone is confused about what is right next to them.

Look at the second photo and the map. Clearly British Telecum
Openroach Offcum krone tool master baitors
have installed their brand new fibre into a village.

ITS A *FSCKING* FIBRE!!!!!!!!

These I assume are 10 gbit with hundreds
of strands - because it costs 2 per meter to install
this kind of fibre bundle.

So this rural village has a *FSCKING* FIBRE!!!

I repeat - this *fskcing* village has a *FSCKING* FIBRE!!!!

Yet waaaat internet do the villagers get?

The closest houses 1,2,3 get NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely fsck all internet with a *FSCKING* FIBRE
sitting next to them.

The next few houses get copper internet at sloooow
speeds at 20x expense of a fibre modem at $14.

WAAAAT THE *FSCK* IS GOING ON INSIDE OFFCUM BT OPENROACH
TO LET THIS HAPPEN???????????

Anyone with an air spade can cable up all the houses
with fibre in a day or two for under 150 per connection
including the $14 1gbit fibre modem.

That is a lot cheaper than the copper internet
equipment sitting in the cabinets.

We hear every day about rural broad band speeds suck.
Yes because government don't know what to ask for.

They should NEVER ask for broadband.

Always ask, what is the cheapest way to provision
symmetric Internet. Symmetric Internet can easily
and cheaply provisioned with 1gbit $14 fibre modems.

This pattern abuse is applies to ALL VILLAGES,
ALL REMOTE AREAS, ALL *FCKING* PLACES where
there is broadband.

At every *fscking* place there is a 10gbit fibre bundle
of 100 cores or more sitting in the cabinet
at 2 per meter. If not, Openreach should
be wound up for wasting tax payer money it
took to build this infrastructure, confiscate
all the ducts and let someone else like
a national fibre infrastructure operator
have a go with local fibre unbundling.

Every villager is intentionally being conned
out of Internet in Brex****ting UK plc.

Never ask for broadband. Always ask for cheapest
symmetric Internet.

BT (British Telecum) Openroach OFfcum might choose to lie,
in which case take them to court to explain costs
and poor shiite for investor working practices.

Hyperoptic, B4RN etc all manage to install fibre
and charge from 30 per month for symmetric
1gbit fibre. So BT openroach etc can only sell it cheaper
because their costs are even more lower.

Old January 22nd 18, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

[...]

AAISP's minimum term is 6 months for ADSL and VDSL on Home::1:
http://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-home1.html
Old January 22nd 18, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:34:17 +0000 (UTC), Winston Smith
wrote:

Right now I have ADSL with Plus.net. Recently the the cabinet in my
street was fibre-enabled, and I can now get VDSL (FTTC).

Right now I am getting 1Mbps up/ 6Mbps down, and 65 ms ping. I will
be upgrading to 10Mbps up/38Mbps up. Will the ping time improve much?

faster access will reduce the serialisation time, but much of the
delay is about equipment types.

Also part of the latency budget is based on speed of light so a lot
depends on where you are and what you were pinging.......

the numbers from a speed test site might help
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...-december-2017

I can try to get a higher speed 76Mbps product, but I doubt I can get
that speed 300 meters away from the cabinet or that there would be any
improvement in latency.

you can get a reasonable educated guess from a good availability site
- Sam Knows covers non FTTC stuff such as cable and wireless, so more
general than most
https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/

you need a phone number to get accurate results for FTTC rather than
just a post code.

To upgrade with plus.net, I need to sign a 18-months contract, which
being in a short-term tenancy is unacceptable. PN support told me
the 18 months is a requirement from offcom.

definitely not true

lots of 12 month contracts around, and some with no tie in & 30 days
notice.....

--
Stephen
Old January 23rd 18, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Winston Smith[_2_]

Thanks for the link. From that site I can see that now tv does offer
a VDSL deal without a fixed term contract (by paying a 44 pounds setup fee).

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/...-for-12-months

I'll try to get this deal.
Old January 23rd 18, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:14:23 +0000, grinch wrote:

To upgrade with plus.net, I need to sign a 18-months contract, which
being in a short-term tenancy is unacceptable. PN support told me
the 18 months is a requirement from offcom.

Obviously Zen are treated differently by Ofcom see link

https://www.zen.co.uk/yourhome/super...dband-packages

If you have the above in writing I suggest passing it on to the
Advertising standards as a complaint Ofcom might be interested as well

I don't know why, but Zen 'can't be found' by 3 different browsers. It shows
links in a search and in Wikipedia but always 'dead'. It's not the hosts
file or any extensions. Might be in AV or FW but I'm not turning off those!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away