Upgrade?

Old February 4th 18, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default Upgrade?

On 04/02/2018 08:43, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 03/02/2018 12:59, Davey wrote:
My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not
pressurising me.
Bearing in mind that my use is fairly simple, a PC or two, a printer,
and a PVR, all wired, and a Wi-Fi connected camera, is there any great
advantage in doing this? The cost is about 75.

If there will be definite advantages, it would be worth considering,
but if for my modest needs, there is no great benefit, then I can spend
it in the pub instead.

The wifi on the 3490 is far superior to the TG585, but it doesn't sound
like that would be too much benefit to you. I don't know whether or not
you're on FTTC or ADSL, but it also has an integrated VDSL modem
(therefore eliminating any need for a separate Openreach box).

The FRITZ!Box's are absolutely packed to the rafters with features,
although it has to be said - they're ugly as sin.

They retail for about 120.

Can you interrogate them with Routerstats - or some equivalent - to get
the line stats when on FTTC?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 4th 18, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 08:43:02 +0000
Plusnet Support Team wrote:

[...]

Or is the Thomson now so out of date that it needs replacing
anyway? It works fine.

Thanks for any advice

Thanks. I do get the occasional dropping of the Zoneminder trace from
the camera, so an improvement there might be beneficial, if it is a
WiFi problem. I started to look into Zoneminder fault logging, and got
lost almost at once, so I don't know if the fault, when it occurs, is
of WiFi or Zoneminder origin. It seems to go in phases, a few lapses in
a few days, then perfect for weeks or even months.

I am the only person to worry about the unit, and it sits high up, so it
could look like a small River Monster and it wouldn't be a problem.

I am on ADSL, and I see no likelihood of ever going to VDSL, I just
don't have the need. I could get FTTP if I wanted to.

But still, I'm not sure it justifies 75, even if it is a lot cheaper
than 120.

Cheers,

--
Davey.

Old February 9th 18, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 04/02/2018 10:11, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Lantiq chipset I believe, so I don't think so.

Old February 9th 18, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 03/02/2018 13:43, tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news
My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not
pressurising me.

I know as much about this as you do.

but a quick Google suggest that the FRITZ!Box 3490 offers nothing
special for you to upgrade to, others may think differently

so if your current box is working I see no need to update it

As an aside, one feature that I would like wireless routers to be able
to do is selectively turn off wifi to each individual device rather than
the all or nothing wifi on/wifi off selection

My Zyxel VMG8924-B10A can be set to allow or deny Wifi access using MAC
addresses. I could also have guest networks which presumably I could
turn off and on.

Bought 2nd hand on ebay.

--
Michael Chare
Old February 10th 18, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
On 03/02/2018 13:43, tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news
My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not
pressurising me.

I know as much about this as you do.

but a quick Google suggest that the FRITZ!Box 3490 offers nothing special
for you to upgrade to, others may think differently

so if your current box is working I see no need to update it

As an aside, one feature that I would like wireless routers to be able to
do is selectively turn off wifi to each individual device rather than the
all or nothing wifi on/wifi off selection

My Zyxel VMG8924-B10A can be set to allow or deny Wifi access using MAC
addresses. I could also have guest networks which presumably I could turn
off and on.

Having investigated further

I can actually do this my my router

but it is too complex an operation to do casually

which is what I really wanted

Except that I don't anymore, because Hummy have updated and crippled the
search function on my box so that it now *only* works by search of internet
schedules rather than the broadcast EPG (and I use the search function
frequently)

****s!

tim

Old February 11th 18, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

Default Upgrade? S.O.T

On 10/02/18 11:21, tim... wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
On 03/02/2018 13:43, tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not
pressurising me.

How old is the firmware on the box ? have you had an update for the
latest WPA wifi security hole as a for instance.

I keep a Fritz box as a spare router in case my cisco packs up.I update
the firmware every once in a while.

The Fritz box has more graphing/monitoring tools than any other domestic
router I have ever seen and once you switch into expert mode are easy to
configure/manage.The wifi is very good as well

Out of choice my spare router would have been a draytek but I got the
fritzbox cheap.
Old February 11th 18, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On 03/02/2018 13:43, tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They
are not pressurising me.

How old is the firmware on the box ? have you had an update for the
latest WPA wifi security hole as a for instance.

As old as the box! So about 7 years. It is apparently too old to have
any updates, so a new router might be a good idea anyway.

I keep a Fritz box as a spare router in case my cisco packs up.I
update the firmware every once in a while.

The Fritz box has more graphing/monitoring tools than any other
domestic router I have ever seen and once you switch into expert mode
are easy to configure/manage.The wifi is very good as well

That might be useful trying to debug my occasional Zoneminder WiFi
camera failures.

Out of choice my spare router would have been a draytek but I got the
fritzbox cheap.

How cheap is cheap? I am offered the Fritz for 75, as opposed to way
over 100 list price. I know nothing of Drayteks, other than that they
are often mentioned here. And I have often wondered about having a
spare handy, if my current one breaks, I'm lost.

Thanks for thoughts.

--
Davey.