Upgrade?

Old February 3rd 18, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default Upgrade?

My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not
pressurising me.
Bearing in mind that my use is fairly simple, a PC or two, a printer,
and a PVR, all wired, and a Wi-Fi connected camera, is there any great
advantage in doing this? The cost is about 75.

If there will be definite advantages, it would be worth considering,
but if for my modest needs, there is no great benefit, then I can spend
it in the pub instead.

Or is the Thomson now so out of date that it needs replacing anyway? It
works fine.

Thanks for any advice,

--
Davey.

Old February 3rd 18, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Davey" wrote in message
news
My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not
pressurising me.

I know as much about this as you do.

but a quick Google suggest that the FRITZ!Box 3490 offers nothing special
for you to upgrade to, others may think differently

so if your current box is working I see no need to update it

As an aside, one feature that I would like wireless routers to be able to do
is selectively turn off wifi to each individual device rather than the all
or nothing wifi on/wifi off selection

I want to stop my PVR unnecessarily talking to the internet when I'm not
using it for catch up and it doesn't have a wifi on/off selection option.

Old February 3rd 18, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 13:43:18 -0000
"tim..." wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news
My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are
not pressurising me.

I know as much about this as you do.

but a quick Google suggest that the FRITZ!Box 3490 offers nothing
special for you to upgrade to, others may think differently

so if your current box is working I see no need to update it

As an aside, one feature that I would like wireless routers to be
able to do is selectively turn off wifi to each individual device
rather than the all or nothing wifi on/wifi off selection

I want to stop my PVR unnecessarily talking to the internet when I'm
not using it for catch up and it doesn't have a wifi on/off selection
option.

An interesting thought. My PVR is of the type that only talks to the
internet when I tell it to, usually by invoking the Portal and iPlayer.
But it can show channels that are internet-supplied, without giving
any indication that that is the case. I now make sure I only
watch Tacolneston-supplied channels.

--
Davey.
Old February 3rd 18, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news
My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not
pressurising me.

I know as much about this as you do.

but a quick Google suggest that the FRITZ!Box 3490 offers nothing
special for you to upgrade to, others may think differently

so if your current box is working I see no need to update it

As an aside, one feature that I would like wireless routers to be able
to do is selectively turn off wifi to each individual device rather than
the all or nothing wifi on/wifi off selection

I want to stop my PVR unnecessarily talking to the internet when I'm not
using it for catch up and it doesn't have a wifi on/off selection option.

Many wireless routers can block access from a specified MAC address.

A cheap one: TP-Link TD-W8960N - simple filter my MAC address

More expensive: Vigor 2860n - scheduled filter, also quota, by MAC address

Probably the FRITZ!Box 3490 also offers MAC address filtering.

--
Graham J

Old February 3rd 18, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 15:29:06 +0000
Graham J wrote:

tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news
[...]

I have no idea if I would ever need that, so I will not commit 75 for
it on the offchance. But thanks.

--
Davey.

Old February 3rd 18, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Graham J" wrote in message
news
tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
news
My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not
pressurising me.

I know as much about this as you do.

but a quick Google suggest that the FRITZ!Box 3490 offers nothing
special for you to upgrade to, others may think differently

so if your current box is working I see no need to update it

As an aside, one feature that I would like wireless routers to be able
to do is selectively turn off wifi to each individual device rather than
the all or nothing wifi on/wifi off selection

I want to stop my PVR unnecessarily talking to the internet when I'm not
using it for catch up and it doesn't have a wifi on/off selection option.

Many wireless routers can block access from a specified MAC address.

I don't want to block it

I want to temporarily turn it off (or to be more precise I want to
temporarily turn it on)

Old February 3rd 18, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_3_]

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 15:29:06 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Many wireless routers can block access from a specified MAC address.

A cheap one: TP-Link TD-W8960N - simple filter my MAC address

More expensive: Vigor 2860n - scheduled filter, also quota, by MAC
address

Probably the FRITZ!Box 3490 also offers MAC address filtering.

And it is hardly any protection at all.
Old February 3rd 18, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"tim..." wrote in message
news
Many wireless routers can block access from a specified MAC address.

I don't want to block it

I want to temporarily turn it off (or to be more precise I want to
temporarily turn it on)

If you enable MAC address filtering for the PVR's MAC, then you can turn
that filtering off or on by going into the router's config pages whenever
you want to turn it on or off. Most routers will remember the MAC address
that you want to block, even if you temporarily disable that block.

It doesn't matter that it is fairly easy to spoof a MAC address to get
round the blockage. A device is unlikely to be able to do this; it requires
human ingenuity to overcome it.

Old February 4th 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 03/02/2018 12:59, Davey wrote:
My ISP is suggesting that I might like to upgrade from my current
7-year-old Thomson TG585 router, to a new FRITZ!Box 3490. They are not
pressurising me.
Bearing in mind that my use is fairly simple, a PC or two, a printer,
and a PVR, all wired, and a Wi-Fi connected camera, is there any great
advantage in doing this? The cost is about 75.

If there will be definite advantages, it would be worth considering,
but if for my modest needs, there is no great benefit, then I can spend
it in the pub instead.

The wifi on the 3490 is far superior to the TG585, but it doesn't sound
like that would be too much benefit to you. I don't know whether or not
you're on FTTC or ADSL, but it also has an integrated VDSL modem
(therefore eliminating any need for a separate Openreach box).

The FRITZ!Box's are absolutely packed to the rafters with features,
although it has to be said - they're ugly as sin.

They retail for about 120.

Old February 4th 18, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

tim... wrote:

[snip]

Many wireless routers can block access from a specified MAC address.

I don't want to block it

I want to temporarily turn it off (or to be more precise I want to
temporarily turn it on)

So you have to access the router's configuration page whenever you want
to do so. Not difficult, I would have thought ...

--
Graham J