BT TV box uncommanded power on

Old February 6th 18, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default BT TV box uncommanded power on

Mine keeps coming on at odd times, despite being set to be on cold standby and no configured events.

If previously on an online channel it saps bandwidth between the router and the net, slowing my PC.

Anyone know how to stop this short of unplugging the wall wart?
Old February 6th 18, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Mine keeps coming on at odd times, despite being set to be on cold standby and no configured events.

If previously on an online channel it saps bandwidth between the router and the net, slowing my PC.

Anyone know how to stop this short of unplugging the wall wart?

A good router (e.g. Vigor) will allow you to control access by specific
devices.

You would of course have to log into the router in order to enable the
BT TV box when you wanted to watch something, then log in again to
disable it afterwards.

--
Graham J

Old February 6th 18, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 06/02/2018 14:51, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Mine keeps coming on at odd times, despite being set to be on cold standby and no configured events.

If previously on an online channel it saps bandwidth between the router and the net, slowing my PC.

Anyone know how to stop this short of unplugging the wall wart?

Set it to a not online channel?
Old February 6th 18, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 06/02/2018 14:51, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Mine keeps coming on at odd times, despite being set to be on cold standby and no configured events.

If previously on an online channel it saps bandwidth between the router and the net, slowing my PC.

Anyone know how to stop this short of unplugging the wall wart?

Some (Most?) PVRs switch on periodically to update the EPG.
Old February 7th 18, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 20:56:06 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 06/02/2018 14:51, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Mine keeps coming on at odd times, despite being set to be on cold standby and no configured events.

If previously on an online channel it saps bandwidth between the router and the net, slowing my PC.

Anyone know how to stop this short of unplugging the wall wart?

Set it to a not online channel?

Done that. That should at least keep it of the net for content.

I suspect it may be switching on for [overnight] updates and forgetting to switch off, as I was mostly finding it on in the morning. Another possibility is another remote is waking it up due to a code clash or similar.