wifi calling

Old February 24th 18, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Woody

Default wifi calling

IDmobile have just informed my that wifi calling is now available,
which is
great. However, it doesn't work abroad. Is there any technical
justification for this? Surely it doesn't matter where in the world
the
Wi-Fi is.

Wi-fi calling - or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) - will work
in the UK as it is using ID's infrastructure to connect, but
overseas operators will not recognise it as you will be using an IP
address that is internal to the ID system (a.k.a. 3). Most SP VoIP
apps (BT ESPECIALLY!) take your phone over which is a nuisance.

If you want to use VoIP properly get an account with one of the VoIP
SPs such as Sipgate or DiscountVoIP. You can then download CSPSimple
which is a free VoIP app for your Android phone or Zoiper for an
iPhone, set it up (Sipgate have a wealth of detail on their web site
once you have logged in) and away you go. Wherever you are on a
wi-fi network you just start the app and if it shows as registered
you can make calls (assuming you have credit in your account) for
(Sipgate) about 1p a minute to UK numbers and 2p for international.
As far as the system is concerned you are calling from the UK and it
will display your UK CLI. Sipgate to Sipgate calls are free
everywhere, and with either a network-connected phone or with a
domestic phone in an analogue telephone adapter you can use VoIP
over your domestic Internet connection to give you an extra line.
Sipgate does not recognise any difference between VoIP on a
broadband connection and VoIP via a VoIP app on a mobile.

I say 'if' it registers as sometimes it is blocked. For instance in
French towns you will often find free wi-fi advertised (around the
Mairie's office is very common) but the 'free' service is actually
provided by Orange France and as they will loose revenue if you make
VoIP calls they block the ports that VoIP uses. This also applies
IME to many restaurants but not McD's and usually not the Tourist
Information Office.

I would add that if you want to learn more about it you should try
uk.telecom.voip where I have also cross posted this reply.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 24th 18, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Woody" wrote in message
news

[...]

I should also have added that Sipgate will give you a UK phone number
as soon as you register with them on which you can receive incoming
calls from anywhere/anyone and can make outgoing calls to any other
Sipgate user anywhere with zero credit on your account.

They will also supply a pre-configured copy of X-Phone, a free Windoze
phone programme that works with a headset/mic plugged into you
computer so you don't even need a phone!

Otherwise look on fleabay for an ATA such as a Cisco PAPT2 or a Sipura
SPA200 or SPA300 series, or any SIPphone (that is what they are known
as) so long as you are brave enough to sit down for an hour or so and
configure them! (It isn't difficult and there is shed loads of help on
line.)

Old February 24th 18, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
Chris

Woody wrote:

news

Thanks for all the info.

Old February 25th 18, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.voip
stephen

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:16:29 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

IDmobile have just informed my that wifi calling is now available,
which is
great. However, it doesn't work abroad. Is there any technical
justification for this? Surely it doesn't matter where in the world
the
Wi-Fi is.

Wi-fi calling - or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) - will work
in the UK as it is using ID's infrastructure to connect, but
overseas operators will not recognise it as you will be using an IP
address that is internal to the ID system (a.k.a. 3). Most SP VoIP
apps (BT ESPECIALLY!) take your phone over which is a nuisance.

It depends on how it is implemented and the associated constraints.

WiFi calling in the phone may just be an alternate transport for the
call, but the call goes into the mobile network via an Internet
gateway.
- from there it is "just another mobile call" - and so has to be
implemented within the operator licence conditions
- eg they may not be allowed by the licence / regulator to accept a
call from outside their UK geographic licence area......

Which feels like another one of those unanticipated side effects /
downsides of moving traffic from a national infrastructure onto the
Internet?

Maybe the answer here is to ask why?