ASA on the defensive

Old March 6th 18, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Default ASA on the defensive

No wish to give credibility to 7's babblings by replying to his
thread, but it's interesting to read what ****wits the ASA take us
for:

https://www.asa.org.uk/uploads/asset...0af1740ab7.pdf

Their synopses here
https://www.asa.org.uk/news/asa-conc...broadband.html

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old March 6th 18, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Graham. wrote:

No wish to give credibility to 7's babblings by replying to his
thread, but it's interesting to read what ****wits the ASA take us
for:

https://www.asa.org.uk/uploads/asset...0af1740ab7.pdf

Their synopses here
https://www.asa.org.uk/news/asa-conc...broadband.html

"Once educated about the meaning of fibre, participants do not believe they
would change their previous purchasing decision; they do not think that the
word ‘fibre' should be changed in part-fibre ads"

The utter fskwits have framed themselves into a corner.

I wonder what the "education" consisted of?

Did it inform them that

1. Fibre would be theoretically 20x cheaper than copper for the same data?
2. That fibre is 20x times quicker for the same price?
3. That games played 20x quicker?
4. That a 2000 pc cannot be used to play professional online games to win?
4. That for fibre distance from exchange does not affect speed?
5. That upload speeds are some 20x times quicker for social media?
6. That whole family can share the internet without noticeable slowing down?
7. That fibre can be provisioned some 20x quicker than copper?
8. That fibre requires 20x less equipment to provision than fibre?
9. That fibre does not attract lightening strikes
10. That copper is subject to copper theft while fibre is worthless?

If I were given a list 1..10, I would immediately tell the ASA fsckwits
to stop miss-selling copper as fibre when there are such huge
differences in price, value, speed, reliability, etc.

Old March 7th 18, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Graham. wrote:

No wish to give credibility to 7's babblings by replying to his
thread, but it's interesting to read what ****wits the ASA take us
for:

So presumably my mobile has fibre broadband?
After all, it has just as much fibre as FTTC.
(unless it has microwave backhaul)

Theo
Old March 7th 18, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naazim palan

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 10:54:25 PM UTC, 7 wrote:
The Enthusiastic Elephant,
who ferried himself across the water with the
Kitchen Poker and a New pair of Ear-rings.
Old March 7th 18, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Dragon

On 07/03/2018 16:14, Theo wrote:
Graham. wrote:

No wish to give credibility to 7's babblings by replying to his
thread, but it's interesting to read what ****wits the ASA take us
for:

So presumably my mobile has fibre broadband?
After all, it has just as much fibre as FTTC.
(unless it has microwave backhaul)

Theo

Almost for certain from the mast to the mobile point of presence is
Openreach Ethernet product.
Old March 7th 18, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 19:44:26 UTC, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 07/03/2018 16:14, Theo wrote:
Graham. wrote:

No wish to give credibility to 7's babblings by replying to his
thread, but it's interesting to read what ****wits the ASA take us
for:

So presumably my mobile has fibre broadband?
After all, it has just as much fibre as FTTC.
(unless it has microwave backhaul)

Theo

Almost for certain from the mast to the mobile point of presence is
Openreach Ethernet product.

Historically for O2 and currently for BT EE, but 3 and Voda (bought Cable & Wireless and Norweb Telecom) probably less likely.
Old March 7th 18, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Graham. wrote:

No wish to give credibility to 7's babblings by replying to his
thread, but it's interesting to read what ****wits the ASA take us
for:

So presumably my mobile has fibre broadband?
After all, it has just as much fibre as FTTC.
(unless it has microwave backhaul)

Theo

"
As has always been the case, ads should not describe non-fibre
services as fibre.
"

They have in mind, primarily, ADSL, AKA Fibre to the Big Brick
Telephone Exchange.

If not that, what?
dial-up maybe?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old March 8th 18, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_3_]

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 21:36:14 +0000, Graham. wrote:

They have in mind, primarily, ADSL, AKA Fibre to the Big Brick Telephone
Exchange.

If not that, what?

VDSL, actually.
Old March 8th 18, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Bob Eager wrote:

Graham. wrote:

They have in mind, primarily, ADSL, AKA Fibre to the Big Brick Telephone
Exchange.

Fibre to your ISP's transit provider, damp string all the way to you :-p

If not that, what?

VDSL, actually.

On that basis 95% of virgin customers should be classed as "coax
broadband" instead of "fibre broadband"
Old March 8th 18, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 21:36:13 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Graham. wrote:

No wish to give credibility to 7's babblings by replying to his
thread, but it's interesting to read what ****wits the ASA take us
for:

So presumably my mobile has fibre broadband?
After all, it has just as much fibre as FTTC.
(unless it has microwave backhaul)

Theo

"
As has always been the case, ads should not describe non-fibre
services as “fibre”.
"

They have in mind, primarily, ADSL, AKA Fibre to the Big Brick
Telephone Exchange.

If not that, what?
dial-up maybe?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

FTTC replaced about 80% of the copper between my home and the exchange with fibre and quadrupled the speed to 50Mbps - more than adequate to stream 4k video, multiple streams of HD, synchronise files with many others etc.

The above is probably fairly typical for BT's Infinity customers. What 7 does not seem to understand is: -

1. Digging up to replace the remaining 20% of copper to millions of homes, would cost billions, not the pocket money prices he rants about.

2. Few would register any benefit from gigabit internet - it's just not needed for what they do.