Changing a router

Old March 13th 18, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

Default Changing a router

On 10/03/2018 10:56, Graham J wrote:
Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 20:24:01 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

If a quiet line test (17070) is noisy, then dial 150 and report
it as a telephone fault, but do NOT mention broadband, else
you will be shunted off to India.

Or get your internet service and phone service from Zen, and in the
event of a fault with either of them just tell Zen. They'll sort it.

They're not the cheapest, but reliability has a value, has it not?

I've told him that twice already, to no effect!

You're wasting your bandwidth then. You clearly use broadband
for business purposes where the cost does not enter the equation,
and spending silly amounts of money on a fibre router is just
a business expense. I have no problems with BT, apart from the 3
days loss of service when nearby builders chopped a multi-strand
cable with a JCB, it has never failed outside of my control, and
that means 30+ years.

If someone asked about the most suitable car for local trips and
occasional longer trips, would you suggest that an Audi Q5 is
by far and away the most suitable vehicle, simply because that
is (or might be) the car you use ?.

And many people only have a limited choice of BT and maybe Sky or
talktalk from their local exchange anyway.

The OP is clearly in a remote rural location whose phone lines
are on overhead poles and nothing is going to alter that fact.

Old March 13th 18, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 10/03/2018 17:05, Chris Green wrote:
NY wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
news
Or get your internet service and phone service from Zen, and in the
event of a fault with either of them just tell Zen. They'll sort it.

They're not the cheapest, but reliability has a value, has it not?

I've told him that twice already, to no effect!

With respect Graham, you obviously don't deal with out-in-the-sticks
farmers very often. They do not like change - period.

One of the big disincentives to changing ISP is the fact that you also lose
access to the email address(es) that go with it, and have to notify everyone
of a new email address and to change all the login IDs for web sites where
you've used an old address.

Do most people really use the E-Mail address that comes with their ISP?

Just about everyone I send E-Mails to has a Google mail address or an
msn one or a hotmail one. Or the more enlightened ones have their own
domain and use that.

My prefix before the @ is commonly a business or trading name so
suggesting that people use hotmail or something else that gets
flooded with spam is poor advice.

The only 'bad' thing that BT did recently is stop using Yahoo for
mail because that allowed multiple dispodable email addresses to be
set up (and deleted).

Old March 13th 18, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 10/03/2018 19:19, Mark Carver wrote:
On 10/03/2018 17:57, NY wrote:

Most lay people do use their ISP email address. They wouldn't have a clue
how to set up a gmail account,

I disagree. A lot of people have a gmail account, because it's ****-easy
to set up. Go to Google, and Google 'Gmail', and away you go. Of course
they don't use an email client for it, they just log on via the
webserver; at home, at work, on their phone, at their cousins........

'Most' people probably had some form of dial-up and then BT broadband
long before gmail existed. I certainly did.
Old March 13th 18, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 10/03/2018 22:48, Graham J wrote:
Woody wrote:
"Graham J" wrote in message
news

--

With respect Graham, you obviously don't deal with out-in-the-sticks
farmers very often. They do not like change - period.

Then I'm quite happy not to support them.* After a few months they
usually come back and apologise for not listening to my advice.

You aren't 'supporting' them at all, you simply have the 'one size
fits all' mentality. The only 'advice' that you ever seem to offer
is 'I am right, just copy me', either that or you are just spamming
on behalf of your preferred ISP.
Old March 13th 18, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 10/03/2018 17:57, NY wrote:

Most lay people do use their ISP email address. They wouldn't have a
clue
how to set up a gmail account,

I disagree. A lot of people have a gmail account, because it's
****-easy to set up. Go to Google, and Google 'Gmail', and away you
go. Of course
they don't use an email client for it, they just log on via the
webserver; at home, at work, on their phone, at their cousins........

'Most' people probably had some form of dial-up and then BT broadband
long before gmail existed. I certainly did.

Yes, but back then Hotmail was all the rage. Gmail has more or less
replaced Hotmail today

--
Mark