SOT: problems with Skype

Old March 11th 18, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody

Default SOT: problems with Skype

I have Skype on two machines, a laptop running W7Pro and a desktop
running W10Pro.

This morning I attempted a Skype call with my daughter. We got her
picture, she got our sound but nothing else - she initiated the call.
This has worked perfectly in the past, and were are both on VM cable.

I checked and there was an update (8.17.02) but after that was
installed I could not sign in - I just got "Sorry cannot connect."

I then went to my W10 desktop and that is exactly the same with two
different accounts. (Desktop software is a different version.)

I have rooted through the help files to no avail, I have changed the
password both through Skype and directly through my M$ account, but
still no joy.

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 but there doesn't seem
to be anything in its config that could stop Skype. Windows Defender
gives way to KIS.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions as its driving me nuts?

TIA

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

I know it is WOT but I have copied this to u.t.f-tv as I know there
are many well experience persons on there.

Old March 11th 18, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

In uk.tech.digital-tv Woody wrote:
[...]

Our experience with recent versions of Skype is similar, it just
doesn't work in the nice simple way that it used to work. We've
simply moved to alternatives like WhatsApp and Google Hangouts.

--
Chris Green

Old March 11th 18, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody

"Chris Green" wrote in message
[...]

I managed to get Skype to reload after I had removed every trace of it
from the machine - including the Registry. I suppose if I had used I/O
Uninstall before using Windoze uninstall it might have been a bit
easier!

It now seems to work OK but its on my desktop which doesn't have a
webcam or a mic. Still, I know where to go now with my laptop!

Old March 11th 18, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

Woody wrote:
I have Skype on two machines, a laptop running W7Pro and a desktop
running W10Pro.

This morning I attempted a Skype call with my daughter. We got her
picture, she got our sound but nothing else - she initiated the call.
This has worked perfectly in the past, and were are both on VM cable.

Did you check the obvious?

Sound-wise was her microphone plugged in and volume turned up. Likewise was
your Speaker volume turned up?

Video-wise at your end is the webcam plugged in and working? Did you click
the video button on your end of the call? Was it green?

I checked and there was an update (8.17.02) but after that was
installed I could not sign in - I just got "Sorry cannot connect."

I then went to my W10 desktop and that is exactly the same with two
different accounts. (Desktop software is a different version.)

I have rooted through the help files to no avail, I have changed the
password both through Skype and directly through my M$ account, but
still no joy.

Try deleting Skype and reinstalling.

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 but there doesn't seem
to be anything in its config that could stop Skype. Windows Defender
gives way to KIS.

Try switching KIS off temporarily.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions as its driving me nuts?

Skype can be a real PITA sometimes. It's usually best to start from first
principles and rule out obvious problems.

Old March 12th 18, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff

Default problems with Skype

Lots of problems with the integrated skype at the moment, not just for
actual use but its completely inaccessible to the blind when it does decide
to work and a number of employees of companies are now possibly going to be
out of work due to the problems. One would imagine somebody, somewhere
tested this stuff, oh sorry, that would be the user again, would it not?
Lets just say I'm not at all surprised people are looking for an
alternative.Whats App etc.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news

Old March 12th 18, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_5_]

Woody wrote:

This morning I attempted a Skype call with my daughter. We got her
picture, she got our sound but nothing else

I will admit to a little schadenfreude when I hear of skype running into
the same type of problems it claimed to avoid when NAT caused that type
of issue to SIP/RTP
Old March 12th 18, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:
Woody wrote:

This morning I attempted a Skype call with my daughter. We got her
picture, she got our sound but nothing else

I will admit to a little schadenfreude when I hear of skype running into
the same type of problems it claimed to avoid when NAT caused that type
of issue to SIP/RTP

At work we've given up on Skype and use WebEx (www.webex.co.uk) by Cisco.
You can have an additional two users (ie a three way call) free of charge.
We find it works very well, and there are Android and iOS apps as well. You
don't have to create user names, it just uses email addresses, which saves
a lot of messing around. Its only real downside is you have to actively
start audio via the computer by pressing an on screen button, which many
people forget to do. It is cross platform, ie Windows Mac and Linux,
working via a suitable browser. I have no connection with the product other
than being a contented user.