Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan in place" but exchange is fibre-enabled

Old March 30th 18, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Default Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan

They invariably install a new FTTC cabinet close to the exchange
to cover the nearby residents who are on EO lines and would be
very hacked off if they didn't benefit from the upgrade after
days of Openreach vans jamming up their road. People wanting FTTC
get moved to the new cabinet.

In theory that can be done, and is for new rural exchanges getting FTTC.

But many properties close to city exchanges like Croydon and Addiscombe are
still without FTTC are several years because they are on exchange only lines,
with no plans in the next 12 months for anything to change.

Perhaps BT Openreach does not care because Virgin Media also serves this area
so all these properties can get proper speeds already.

Don't believe everything you see on my CodeLook web site, the BT Openreach post
code and FTTC cabinet data is poor quality. The update this month shows my
short road now being served by four cabinets (it's really two), the new cabinet
being 10 miles away serving an identically named road on a different exchange
(we get post for that road occasionally).

Angus

Old March 30th 18, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 30/03/2018 14:26, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
They invariably install a new FTTC cabinet close to the exchange
to cover the nearby residents who are on EO lines and would be
very hacked off if they didn't benefit from the upgrade after
days of Openreach vans jamming up their road. People wanting FTTC
get moved to the new cabinet.

In theory that can be done, and is for new rural exchanges getting FTTC.

But many properties close to city exchanges like Croydon and Addiscombe are
still without FTTC are several years because they are on exchange only lines,
with no plans in the next 12 months for anything to change.

I didn't know that. My experience is only of rural exchanges. I had
assumed it was an SOP given that in towns mains is never far away
whereas in rural villages they have to find a mains supply to tap into.

Perhaps BT Openreach does not care because Virgin Media also serves this area
so all these properties can get proper speeds already.

So there is already a fast service just not with BT.

Don't believe everything you see on my CodeLook web site, the BT Openreach post
code and FTTC cabinet data is poor quality. The update this month shows my
short road now being served by four cabinets (it's really two), the new cabinet
being 10 miles away serving an identically named road on a different exchange
(we get post for that road occasionally).

Thanks for the clarifications. Since you were shy about posting your URL
- here it is and it gets my line about right 3.5km to the exchange:

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
(and 3.7km to the nearest FTTC box)

(complete with the hell will freeze over before we do anything tag)

BTW what do the little green donuts indicate?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 30th 18, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Default Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan in place" but exchange is fibre-enabled

NY wrote:

We're looking to move house and one house that we've identified has fast
ADSL (up to 17 Mbps) but no FTTC (according to various ISPs' availability
checkers), even though the exchange is fibre-enabled and other streets a
few hundred yards away get fibre.

The Openreach checker says "What does 'exploring solutions' mean? This
means that we're working with government and industry to explore ways to
bring fibre to as many people as possible but don't have a plan in place
for yet. You might want to investigate co-funding fibre access in your
community."

The translation of that is "we enjoy master baiting with our krone tools
at your premises, but if we can't master bait as much as we ought to,
then tuff. We are exploring solutions."

I'd have thought that if the exchange is fibre, there would be plans to
put the FTTC equipment in all the cabinets that it feeds. To have some
streets, probably about 3/4 mile from the exchange, which aren't even on
the cabinet-upgrade plan, sounds fairly hopeless.

I wonder if the house is a victim of the too-close-to-the-exchange problem
where the line is connected directly and not via a green cabinet. Is it
likely that BT OR will ever solve that problem, or are houses that are
directly connected doomed never to get faster than ADSL speed?

How do you find out which cabinet a house is connected, given only the
postcode and address. The house is unoccupied so probably does not have an
active phone line or anyone who knows what the phone number used to be.

Old March 30th 18, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Well you could always try ordering fibre from another provider like H*p*r*p*i*, but they couldn't **** on themselves if they were on fire.
Old March 30th 18, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[...]

snoooooorttt!!! I bet they now do. They got thousands in London already.
Mr. Soros investment paying off already.

The next option is community fibre. Just one council boundary away from
getting it.

Old March 30th 18, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sn!pe[_2_]

Woody wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

That's the easy bit.

Run dslchecker.bt.com and when you get the box with the details
outside the box upper right it says which cabinet you are connected
to.

Then go to www.magsys.co.uk , click on CodeLook on the upper left, and
enter your full telephone number on the table that appears. You will
then get the breakdown of your number to show the connected exchange,
supplier, etc. Click on the exchange name (which is a hyperlink) and
more details of the exchange appear plus a map. At the upper right of
the yellow box there will be a blue hyperlink about fibre cabinets -
click on it. 'Lollipops' will then appear on the map showing where the
cabinets are situated. As you hold your mouse pointer over each
lollipop it will show the cabinet number, you just have to find the
one nominated in dslchecker - it may not be where you expect.

I would add that the streetcab may not be where the map says. Mine is
shown as about 200yds down our road, where in fact it is about another
50yds further down to a sidestreet, and then about 70yds along that
street. Perhaps why dslchecker says the maximum I can get is 61Mb/s -
save for the fact I am already on 70Mb VM! If you want to physically
find the streetcab it is usually easier to find the fibre cabinet and
then look around for the streetcab which will have its number
stencilled on the end of it - they may be up to 30yds apart, often on
opposite sides of the road.

[article saved]

That's very interesting, thank you, Woody.
My cabinet is nowhere near where I imagined it to be.

--
^^. Sn!pe

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Old March 30th 18, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_3_]

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 14:26:00 +0100, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
wrote:

I have observed that the cabs are always shown in the middle of the
relevant postcode area, so that explains the inaccuracy.

The CodeLook web site says 'The map shows green circles for the general
area of each cabinet or exchange link, not the specific location of the
cabinet' and 'Approx Post Code', the actual locations are sensitive
information that can be published.

Yes, I noticed that after I'd driven round! My fault. Thanks, though. It
helped a great deal.

I *almost* got BT to put in another line to a much nearer cabinet. Almost.
Old March 31st 18, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 30 March 2018 19:17:11 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[...]

So he owns: -

Rensburg Investment Services Management Inc
PO BOX 905, Nerine Chambers, Road Town, British Virgin Islands
and
Quantum Strategic Partners Limited
c/o Intertrust Corporate Services (Cayman) Limited, 190 Elgin Avenue, George Town, Cayman Islands

then?
Old April 2nd 18, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 30/03/2018 14:26, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Don't believe everything you see on my CodeLook web site, the BT Openreach post
code and FTTC cabinet data is poor quality. The update this month shows my
short road now being served by four cabinets (it's really two), the new cabinet
being 10 miles away serving an identically named road on a different exchange
(we get post for that road occasionally).

Where I am there is one cabinet misplaced by about half a mile that has
been there for _years_ and the new FTTP/FTTC ones are missing entirely.
They have been enabled for nearly a year.

Andy