Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan in place" but exchange is fibre-enabled

Old March 29th 18, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Default Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan in place" but exchange is fibre-enabled

We're looking to move house and one house that we've identified has fast
ADSL (up to 17 Mbps) but no FTTC (according to various ISPs' availability
checkers), even though the exchange is fibre-enabled and other streets a few
hundred yards away get fibre.

The Openreach checker says "What does 'exploring solutions' mean? This means
that we’re working with government and industry to explore ways to bring
fibre to as many people as possible but don’t have a plan in place for yet.
You might want to investigate co-funding fibre access in your community."

I'd have thought that if the exchange is fibre, there would be plans to put
the FTTC equipment in all the cabinets that it feeds. To have some streets,
probably about 3/4 mile from the exchange, which aren't even on the
cabinet-upgrade plan, sounds fairly hopeless.

I wonder if the house is a victim of the too-close-to-the-exchange problem
where the line is connected directly and not via a green cabinet. Is it
likely that BT OR will ever solve that problem, or are houses that are
directly connected doomed never to get faster than ADSL speed?

How do you find out which cabinet a house is connected, given only the
postcode and address. The house is unoccupied so probably does not have an
active phone line or anyone who knows what the phone number used to be.

Old March 29th 18, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

By looking on http://www.kitz.co.uk I've actually managed to find a cabinet
number. Can I assume that if there's a cabinet number, it'd not a direct
line to the exchange so FTTC is possible - when BT OR get round to
installing the equipment. Is there a reason why some parts of a town don't
even have a plan for when their cabinets will be upgraded to fibre?

Old March 30th 18, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

That's the easy bit.

Run dslchecker.bt.com and when you get the box with the details
outside the box upper right it says which cabinet you are connected
to.

Then go to www.magsys.co.uk , click on CodeLook on the upper left, and
enter your full telephone number on the table that appears. You will
then get the breakdown of your number to show the connected exchange,
supplier, etc. Click on the exchange name (which is a hyperlink) and
more details of the exchange appear plus a map. At the upper right of
the yellow box there will be a blue hyperlink about fibre cabinets -
click on it. 'Lollipops' will then appear on the map showing where the
cabinets are situated. As you hold your mouse pointer over each
lollipop it will show the cabinet number, you just have to find the
one nominated in dslchecker - it may not be where you expect.

I would add that the streetcab may not be where the map says. Mine is
shown as about 200yds down our road, where in fact it is about another
50yds further down to a sidestreet, and then about 70yds along that
street. Perhaps why dslchecker says the maximum I can get is 61Mb/s -
save for the fact I am already on 70Mb VM! If you want to physically
find the streetcab it is usually easier to find the fibre cabinet and
then look around for the streetcab which will have its number
stencilled on the end of it - they may be up to 30yds apart, often on
opposite sides of the road.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 30th 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 29/03/2018 22:00, NY wrote:
"NY" wrote in message

How do you find out which cabinet a house is connected, given only the
postcode and address. The house is unoccupied so probably does not
have an active phone line or anyone who knows what the phone number
used to be.

Phone number of a neighbour would do.

By looking on http://www.kitz.co.uk I've actually managed to find a
cabinet number. Can I assume that if there's a cabinet number, it'd not
a direct line to the exchange so FTTC is possible - when BT OR get round
to installing the equipment. Is there a reason why some parts of a town
don't even have a plan for when their cabinets will be upgraded to fibre?

If it has a cabinet number then it isn't an exchange only line which
shows as "EO". Also that isn't necessarily a barrier to getting FTTC
unless the distance from the exchange is 1km.

They invariably install a new FTTC cabinet close to the exchange to
cover the nearby residents who are on EO lines and would be very hacked
off if they didn't benefit from the upgrade after days of Openreach vans
jamming up their road. People wanting FTTC get moved to the new cabinet.

However, if like me you are beyond the range of copper to supply VDSL
you are stuffed. The nearest cabinet to me is slightly further away than
the exchange itself (about 3k so I have no chance).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 30th 18, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Woody" wrote in message
news
[...]

I presume a cabinet called "P5" on magsys is the same one called "Cabinet 5"
on dslchecker. All the cabinets in that area have the prefix P on magsys.
Other cabinets in the area are identified as (for example) "Exchange 3".

So it's about 0.5 miles by the nearest road route or 0.3 miles in a straight
line. That should be within the limits of VDSL, shouldn't it?

A house a couple of streets away which *does* have VDSL is 0.3 miles from
its cabinet, so a similar distance.

So it's as if some cabinets have been upgraded to VDSL, but others nearby
have not with no apparent plan to do so. Grrrr.

Old March 30th 18, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
They invariably install a new FTTC cabinet close to the exchange to cover
the nearby residents who are on EO lines and would be very hacked off if
they didn't benefit from the upgrade after days of Openreach vans jamming
up their road. People wanting FTTC get moved to the new cabinet.

That's interesting. When BT OR started their programme of digging up streets
and installing new piggyback cabinets with "Fibre coming soon" labels, there
was some discussion about people whose houses were connected directly to the
exchange. The consensus at that time was that if you were on a line from the
exchange, BT OR would never install a cabinet at the exchange because of
fears that it would cause crosstalk with either voice or ADSL to other
lines.

Sounds as if they have seen sense now if they install a fibre cabinet at the
exchange.

Old March 30th 18, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 30/03/2018 12:19, NY wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
They invariably install a new FTTC cabinet close to the exchange to
cover the nearby residents who are on EO lines and would be very
hacked off if they didn't benefit from the upgrade after days of
Openreach vans jamming up their road. People wanting FTTC get moved to
the new cabinet.

That's interesting. When BT OR started their programme of digging up
streets and installing new piggyback cabinets with "Fibre coming soon"
labels, there was some discussion about people whose houses were
connected directly to the exchange. The consensus at that time was that
if you were on a line from the exchange, BT OR would never install a
cabinet at the exchange because of fears that it would cause crosstalk
with either voice or ADSL to other lines.

That is correct. They don't ever install one *at* exchange.

Sounds as if they have seen sense now if they install a fibre cabinet at
the exchange.

They install a new fibre cabinet near but absolutely never in the
exchange - in my case about 200m away from the exchange at the centre of
the village where the exchange itself is sited at one edge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 30th 18, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

On 30/03/2018 12:19, NY wrote:
[...]

So I wonder if the various cabinets named "Exchange 1" etc on the magsys map
are ones that didn't exist before FTTC because the lines were connected
directly to the exchange, but which have been created specifically to site
FTTC equipment that cannot go at the exchange.

Shame that the estate where we've seen a house that we're interested in is
fed from a cabinet that does not seem to have FTTC, even for people who are
very close to it - that seems to suggest it's the cabinet rather than the
length of cable from cabinet to house.

In a reasonable sized town, I wonder how long it will take BT OR to enable
the cabinet... Odd that BT OR's status is "investigating ways... no plans"
as if it's not even on the waiting list, never mind a long way down the
priority.

Old March 30th 18, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_3_]

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 08:53:53 +0100, Woody wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

Good advice. I have observed that the cabs are always shown in the middle
of the relevant postcode area, so that explains the inaccuracy. My own
was shown as in the middle of a small housing estate, but in fact it was
at the entrance - I drove past it, on my way in, not noticing!

Other problems could be difficulty in getting power to the fibre cab.
Old March 30th 18, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Default Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan

I have observed that the cabs are always shown in
the middle of the relevant postcode area, so that explains the
inaccuracy.

The CodeLook web site says 'The map shows green circles for the general area of
each cabinet or exchange link, not the specific location of the cabinet' and
'Approx Post Code', the actual locations are sensitive information that can be
published.

Angus