Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

Old April 12th 18, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On Wednesday, 11 April 2018 12:43:56 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 11/04/2018 12:19, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 11/04/2018 12:02, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Hi all,

My other half and I are planning a canal cruise again this year, and
we really want some form of connectivity while we're away.

So we're looking for a USB 'dongle' that we can use on the laptop, we
don't want any sort of contract, as it's only going to be required for
2 or 3 weeks in any one year.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best one to go for..? I
know that PAYG credit expires after a month on these things nowadays
(I used to have one of the Vodafone ones where it didn't) but that's
not really a problem as long as it can be reactivated later when it's
needed again.

What's your budget, how much data and what's coverage on the various
networks like where you're going?

That is critical since there is no point in having 4G capability in a
remote area with only 2.5G coverage.

Maybe not, but if you are travelling through any built up areas or on O2 (only low band) then there is.

If you are a BT customer (or pay the fee) then you get wi-fi all over the place - every time you sail past a BT Broadband customers' premises.

I use a Mifi with external yagi
antennas to work distant masts in remote places (up to about 30 miles).

Really - limit on GSM / UMTS in the UK is about 35km.

OTOH I did use a UK ETACS phone in Calais successfully in ~1993

I doubt the pointing off a boat would be good enough.

If the former is about 50 you can buy an unlocked Huawei E5330 MiFi
from Amazon for 32 and then get a Three Data Reward SIM - first 200MB
free (if registered) and then 1p/MB so you basically get 2GB included in
your 50, and then next year or whenever just buy another SIM.

Other networks have similar offers I guess.

My recommendations would be a Huawei E5577 or cheaper on 3G E5330 - I
would NOT get a dongle as my only device as they are more tetchy and
interference from the PC/inability to put the thing in the best position
for getting a signal indoors can be a PITA (even with a USB extender).

Three or EE do SIMs with 3 or 12GB and 6 GB respectively. You can get
even better introductory offers on new SIMs if you keep an eye out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old April 12th 18, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Someone Somewhere
writes
On 11/04/2018 13:43, MissRiaElaine wrote:
It's just going to be the one laptop, so no need for multiple device
access. We both have phones and tablets that can be used if necessary,
it's just to make things easier, I hate trying to type on a phone..!
Not sure on how much data, it's mainly going to be used for checking
emails and the odd bit of web surfing, certainly not terabytes..!
Ok on the Three SIM, our phones are on 3 so that sounds like a plan.

If you've got a phone, why not make sure you're allowed to use
tethering and have enough data and run it through that instead?

Or check if the phone offers a mobile hotspot capability. Both my
Samsungs have this as a standard option.

With a decent 4G signal its almost as fast as my FTTC broadband, and a
lot quicker than the average hotel WiFi.

--
Invalid
Old April 12th 18, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 4/12/2018 5:10 AM, Java Jive wrote:

I'm not sure about that, we've had 4G for about a year even in remote
Sutherland, and it gives a far better rate than ADSL* -* if they'd just
come up with a realistic charge rate for unlimited downloads, I'd be
happy just to keep my landline for emergencies only.

Also in remote Sutherland - even more remote than you (on the north
coast) 4g has recently arrived - but it's been very unreliable,
sometimes it goes off for days at a time.
We'll be keeping the (also unreliable) landline for the foreseeable future.

Old April 12th 18, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 12/04/2018 10:48, Invalid wrote:
In message , Someone Somewhere
writes
On 11/04/2018 13:43, MissRiaElaine wrote:
It's just going to be the one laptop, so no need for multiple device
access. We both have phones and tablets that can be used if
necessary, it's just to make things easier, I hate trying to type on
a phone..!
*Not sure on how much data, it's mainly going to be used for checking
emails and the odd bit of web surfing, certainly not terabytes..!
*Ok on the Three SIM, our phones are on 3 so that sounds like a plan.

If you've got a phone, why not make sure you're allowed to use
tethering and have enough data and run it through that instead?

Or check if the phone offers a mobile hotspot capability. Both my
Samsungs have this as a standard option.

If it is only for light use then using up your data allocation on mobile
phones in tethered mode is obviously the thing to do. If you need more
than that then a sacrificial PAYG SIM with 1,3 or 12GB preloaded at the
best offer price you can find is a useful addition with a Mifi.

As others have said Three will give you 200MB/month data SIM free gratis
and for nothing which is handy for email only legacy users who finally
lost their dialup connection.

With a decent 4G signal its almost as fast as my FTTC broadband, and a
lot quicker than the average hotel WiFi.

I actually get LTE these days at home which isn't quite 4G no matter
what the EE marketing department would have you believe.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 13th 18, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:

Hi all,

My other half and I are planning a canal cruise again this year, and we
really want some form of connectivity while we're away.

Don't really need a dongle these days - most phone have USB
tethering and/or wifi hotspot that allows connection
from PC into some cell network.

But canals don't come with 4G masts all along its route.
Partly because of land owners holding out their hands
for more cash to run fiber through their land
to connect up 4G masts (and then wondering with village
idiocy clarity why they ain't gonna get mobile
reception) and partly because of the
classic dark ages window tax on dark fiber that makes
it impossible to cable up long runs
unless you are BT (british telecum) which has
been nixed to pay nil window tax.

Old April 14th 18, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 13/04/2018 21:32, 7 wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

Hi all,

My other half and I are planning a canal cruise again this year, and we
really want some form of connectivity while we're away.

Don't really need a dongle these days - most phone have USB
tethering and/or wifi hotspot that allows connection
from PC into some cell network.

But canals don't come with 4G masts all along its route.
Partly because of land owners holding out their hands
for more cash to run fiber through their land
to connect up 4G masts (and then wondering with village
idiocy clarity why they ain't gonna get mobile
reception) and partly because of the
classic dark ages window tax on dark fiber that makes
it impossible to cable up long runs
unless you are BT (british telecum) which has
been nixed to pay nil window tax.

I seem to remember reading many years ago of one of the major telecom
companies (not a Mickey Mouse one) using canals for getting fibre around
the country.

If someone wanted to provide 4G along the canal then I am sure they
could negotiate with the canal owner to run fibre along the canal with
base stations at regular intervals.

The reason that they don't is because there would not be enough traffic
to make it profitable. People sailing down canals are too busy to want
4G coverage, they will wanted it when parked up for the night and those
places are near houses, pubs and often villages / towns will get 4G
coverage.

Old April 14th 18, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

In uk.telecom.broadband MB wrote:
to make it profitable. People sailing down canals are too busy to want
4G coverage, they will wanted it when parked up for the night and those

I don't think 'too busy' is quite the right description, we're just
too laid back when pootling along to want to have internet or phone.
That is rather the point of the exercise! :-)

--
Chris Green

Old April 15th 18, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Nicholas[_3_]

Questions regarding mobile coverage around the canal system are better
asked in
uk.rec.waterways
who could do with the traffic.

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail:

Old April 15th 18, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Martin Nicholas wrote:
Questions regarding mobile coverage around the canal system are better
asked in
uk.rec.waterways
who could do with the traffic.

Bit slow in that group?