Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

Old April 18th 18, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine

Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On 12/04/18 13:03, Martin Brown wrote:
In message , Someone Somewhere
writes

If you've got a phone, why not make sure you're allowed to use
tethering and have enough data and run it through that instead?

Or check if the phone offers a mobile hotspot capability. Both my
Samsungs have this as a standard option.

If it is only for light use then using up your data allocation on mobile
phones in tethered mode is obviously the thing to do. If you need more
than that then a sacrificial PAYG SIM with 1,3 or 12GB preloaded at the
best offer price you can find is a useful addition with a Mifi.

The problem with tethering is they don't allow it on PAYG. Although I do
have a spare phone I could use, I went into the local 3 shop yesterday
and they recommended a data SIM for 20 on a 1 month contract that I
could stop after a month and that has 12GB on it, which will be more
than enough, so that's probably what we'll do.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 18th 18, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine

On 14/04/18 13:57, Chris Green wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband MB wrote:
to make it profitable. People sailing down canals are too busy to want
4G coverage, they will wanted it when parked up for the night and those

I don't think 'too busy' is quite the right description, we're just
too laid back when pootling along to want to have internet or phone.
That is rather the point of the exercise! :-)

Likewise, but when we've moored up for the night it would be nice to be
able to check emails, otherwise they tend to build up and we're likely
to be wading through thousands of the things when we get home..!

It's the Shropshire Union canal, by the way. Whitchurch up as far as
Ellesmere Port.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 18th 18, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , MB writes
On 13/04/2018 21:32, 7 wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

Hi all,

My other half and I are planning a canal cruise again this year, and we
really want some form of connectivity while we're away.

Don't really need a dongle these days - most phone have USB
tethering and/or wifi hotspot that allows connection
from PC into some cell network.
But canals don't come with 4G masts all along its route.
Partly because of land owners holding out their hands
for more cash to run fiber through their land
to connect up 4G masts (and then wondering with village
idiocy clarity why they ain't gonna get mobile
reception) and partly because of the
classic dark ages window tax on dark fiber that makes
it impossible to cable up long runs
unless you are BT (british telecum) which has
been nixed to pay nil window tax.

I seem to remember reading many years ago of one of the major telecom
companies (not a Mickey Mouse one) using canals for getting fibre
around the country.

Mercury?

Snip
--
bert
Old April 19th 18, 03:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

In article , MB writes
On 13/04/2018 21:32, 7 wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

[...]

I don't think so. MCL famously laid a figure of eight fibre network
along the railways.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 19th 18, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Someone Somewhere

On 19/04/2018 02:18, Graham. wrote:
In article , MB writes
On 13/04/2018 21:32, 7 wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

[...]

Presumably someone could wander down to a canal and look for any names
on a manhole cover?

Anyway, a vague memory of Fibreway came to mind and it looks like it was
correct -
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...s-1428006.html

They were part of GPT/Marconi from further googling.
Old April 19th 18, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

In uk.telecom.broadband MissRiaElaine wrote:
[...]

3 do now allow tethering on their 3-2-1 PAYGO accounts.

It was always trivial to circumvent the tethering detection anyway.

--
Chris Green

Old April 19th 18, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chris Green wrote:

3 do now allow tethering on their 3-2-1 PAYGO accounts.

Tesco allow it on all their tariffs (well, all the ones that come with a
data allowance)

Old April 20th 18, 04:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris in Makati

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 21:06:49 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

I wonder why any network would want to prevent tethering? Surely a GB
is a GB, whatever kind of device you consume it with.
Old April 20th 18, 07:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Tweed[_2_]

Chris in Makati wrote:
[...]

On PAYG I'd agree with you. On contract they hope you don't always use up
your monthly allowance. It's easier to consume more data on a larger device
than a smaller one. Eg watching iPlayer on an iPad is preferable to
watching a programme on your tiny phone screen.

Old April 20th 18, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Jerry Brown

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 10:20:43 +0800, Chris in Makati
wrote:

snip

I wonder why any network would want to prevent tethering? Surely a GB
is a GB, whatever kind of device you consume it with.

My theory is that there's no technical reason for it; rather it's an
arbitrary rule designed to make a contract more appealing.

In marketing speech "Don't think of it as a drawback of having a payg
account; think of it as a bonus for having a contract".

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)