A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old April 20th 18, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 99
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On 20/04/2018 08:08, Jerry Brown wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 10:20:43 +0800, Chris in Makati
wrote:

snip

I wonder why any network would want to prevent tethering? Surely a GB
is a GB, whatever kind of device you consume it with.


My theory is that there's no technical reason for it; rather it's an
arbitrary rule designed to make a contract more appealing.


If you are tech savvy you can generally make it tether on PAYG even if
it doesn't officially support it. Some networks do now permit it too.

In marketing speech "Don't think of it as a drawback of having a payg
account; think of it as a bonus for having a contract".

Pretty much like the infinite number of texts many deals include.
(I only ever send a few dozen a month)

As a general rule on contract if you are not talking to customer
retention at least every couple of years you are being royally ripped
off (even more so if you are still paying "contract with free handset"
rates after the initial contract period).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
  #32  
Old April 20th 18, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 496
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 08:57:26 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

I wonder why any network would want to prevent tethering? Surely a GB
is a GB, whatever kind of device you consume it with.


My theory is that there's no technical reason for it; rather it's an
arbitrary rule designed to make a contract more appealing.


If you are tech savvy you can generally make it tether on PAYG even if
it doesn't officially support it. Some networks do now permit it too.

In marketing speech "Don't think of it as a drawback of having a payg
account; think of it as a bonus for having a contract".

Pretty much like the infinite number of texts many deals include.
(I only ever send a few dozen a month)

As a general rule on contract if you are not talking to customer
retention at least every couple of years you are being royally ripped
off (even more so if you are still paying "contract with free handset"
rates after the initial contract period).


As a general rule it's always more expensive to pay for things with
other people's money than to save up your own. Paying for a phone on a
contract is essentially buying it on credit over about 18 months - and
then carrying on paying. What some say that they pay *per month* for
their contracts is comparable with what I spend *per year* just for
for PAYG calls. I save up and purchase my phones outright, so they're
my own property from Day 1, and thus if I can keep them longer than 18
months, which I usually do, I'm laughing.

The only reason I ever had a mobile contract was in order to connect a
Nokia dumbphone to the RS232 port on a laptop computer and use the
phone as a dial-up modem, more or less the equivalent of what is now
done by tethering with a modern phone. For some reason Orange didn't
allow this on PAYG, though I couldn't see any technical reason why it
shouldn't be possible.

Rod.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #33  
Old April 21st 18, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris in Makati
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 05:34:27 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

Chris in Makati wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 21:06:49 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 12/04/18 13:03, Martin Brown wrote:
In message , Someone Somewhere
writes

If you've got a phone, why not make sure you're allowed to use
tethering and have enough data and run it through that instead?

Or check if the phone offers a mobile hotspot capability. Both my
Samsungs have this as a standard option.

If it is only for light use then using up your data allocation on mobile
phones in tethered mode is obviously the thing to do. If you need more
than that then a sacrificial PAYG SIM with 1,3 or 12GB preloaded at the
best offer price you can find is a useful addition with a Mifi.

The problem with tethering is they don't allow it on PAYG. Although I do
have a spare phone I could use, I went into the local 3 shop yesterday
and they recommended a data SIM for £20 on a 1 month contract that I
could stop after a month and that has 12GB on it, which will be more
than enough, so that's probably what we'll do.

3 do now allow tethering on their 3-2-1 PAYGO accounts.

It was always trivial to circumvent the tethering detection anyway.


I wonder why any network would want to prevent tethering? Surely a GB
is a GB, whatever kind of device you consume it with.


On PAYG Iíd agree with you. On contract they hope you donít always use up
your monthly allowance. Itís easier to consume more data on a larger device
than a smaller one. Eg watching iPlayer on an iPad is preferable to
watching a programme on your tiny phone screen.


It could be, but if they allowed people to consume more in the way
they wanted they'd be more likely to buy more data, so more revenue
for the company.

It's like buying a pint of beer in a pub and having the barman tell
you you're only allowed to drink it through a straw.
  #34  
Old April 21st 18, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

Chris in Makati wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 05:34:27 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

Chris in Makati wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 21:06:49 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 12/04/18 13:03, Martin Brown wrote:
In message , Someone Somewhere
writes

If you've got a phone, why not make sure you're allowed to use
tethering and have enough data and run it through that instead?

Or check if the phone offers a mobile hotspot capability. Both my
Samsungs have this as a standard option.

If it is only for light use then using up your data allocation on mobile
phones in tethered mode is obviously the thing to do. If you need more
than that then a sacrificial PAYG SIM with 1,3 or 12GB preloaded at the
best offer price you can find is a useful addition with a Mifi.

The problem with tethering is they don't allow it on PAYG. Although I do
have a spare phone I could use, I went into the local 3 shop yesterday
and they recommended a data SIM for £20 on a 1 month contract that I
could stop after a month and that has 12GB on it, which will be more
than enough, so that's probably what we'll do.

3 do now allow tethering on their 3-2-1 PAYGO accounts.

It was always trivial to circumvent the tethering detection anyway.

I wonder why any network would want to prevent tethering? Surely a GB
is a GB, whatever kind of device you consume it with.


On PAYG Iíd agree with you. On contract they hope you donít always use up
your monthly allowance. Itís easier to consume more data on a larger device
than a smaller one. Eg watching iPlayer on an iPad is preferable to
watching a programme on your tiny phone screen.


It could be, but if they allowed people to consume more in the way
they wanted they'd be more likely to buy more data, so more revenue
for the company.

It's like buying a pint of beer in a pub and having the barman tell
you you're only allowed to drink it through a straw.


Nothing quite so odd as marketing people. Vodafone, at least, are now
trying what you say - getting people to use more data so they consider
buying more expensive packages. I suppose that now they've rolled out 4G to
many more sites they have a lot more capacity to shift.

  #35  
Old April 21st 18, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
John Kenyon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On 20/04/2018 03:20, Chris in Makati wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 21:06:49 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 12/04/18 13:03, Martin Brown wrote:
In message , Someone Somewhere
writes

If you've got a phone, why not make sure you're allowed to use
tethering and have enough data and run it through that instead?

Or check if the phone offers a mobile hotspot capability. Both my
Samsungs have this as a standard option.

If it is only for light use then using up your data allocation on mobile
phones in tethered mode is obviously the thing to do. If you need more
than that then a sacrificial PAYG SIM with 1,3 or 12GB preloaded at the
best offer price you can find is a useful addition with a Mifi.

The problem with tethering is they don't allow it on PAYG. Although I do
have a spare phone I could use, I went into the local 3 shop yesterday
and they recommended a data SIM for £20 on a 1 month contract that I
could stop after a month and that has 12GB on it, which will be more
than enough, so that's probably what we'll do.

3 do now allow tethering on their 3-2-1 PAYGO accounts.

It was always trivial to circumvent the tethering detection anyway.


I wonder why any network would want to prevent tethering? Surely a GB
is a GB, whatever kind of device you consume it with.


Because mobile companies make more money per Gb out of what you buy and
don't consume.

For example:

If a punter buys 1Gb of data which costs £10 retail, at an internal cost
of £5/Gb, and uses the whole lot: = £5 gross profit.

If a punter buys 1Gb of data which costs £10 retail, at an internal cost
of £5/Gb, and uses 0.5Gb: = £7.50 gross profit, £2.50 on the used data,
and £5 pure profit on the unused allowance.




  #36  
Old April 22nd 18, 03:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On 19/04/2018 21:06, Chris Green wrote:
snip
3 do now allow tethering on their 3-2-1 PAYGO accounts.


Since when?
That's why I changed to a 30 day contract.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
  #37  
Old April 22nd 18, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

In uk.telecom.broadband Brian Gregory wrote:
On 19/04/2018 21:06, Chris Green wrote:
snip
3 do now allow tethering on their 3-2-1 PAYGO accounts.


Since when?
That's why I changed to a 30 day contract.

Some time in the last 6 months or so if I remember right. It was when
they added a whole lot of extra countries (many in S America) to their
"feel at home" that I noticed I think.

--
Chris Green

  #38  
Old April 23rd 18, 04:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris in Makati
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:48:22 +0100, John Kenyon
wrote:

On 20/04/2018 03:20, Chris in Makati wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 21:06:49 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 12/04/18 13:03, Martin Brown wrote:
In message , Someone Somewhere
writes

If you've got a phone, why not make sure you're allowed to use
tethering and have enough data and run it through that instead?

Or check if the phone offers a mobile hotspot capability. Both my
Samsungs have this as a standard option.

If it is only for light use then using up your data allocation on mobile
phones in tethered mode is obviously the thing to do. If you need more
than that then a sacrificial PAYG SIM with 1,3 or 12GB preloaded at the
best offer price you can find is a useful addition with a Mifi.

The problem with tethering is they don't allow it on PAYG. Although I do
have a spare phone I could use, I went into the local 3 shop yesterday
and they recommended a data SIM for £20 on a 1 month contract that I
could stop after a month and that has 12GB on it, which will be more
than enough, so that's probably what we'll do.

3 do now allow tethering on their 3-2-1 PAYGO accounts.

It was always trivial to circumvent the tethering detection anyway.


I wonder why any network would want to prevent tethering? Surely a GB
is a GB, whatever kind of device you consume it with.


Because mobile companies make more money per Gb out of what you buy and
don't consume.

For example:

If a punter buys 1Gb of data which costs £10 retail, at an internal cost
of £5/Gb, and uses the whole lot: = £5 gross profit.

If a punter buys 1Gb of data which costs £10 retail, at an internal cost
of £5/Gb, and uses 0.5Gb: = £7.50 gross profit, £2.50 on the used data,
and £5 pure profit on the unused allowance.


But there's still the possibility of buying more data than is actually
consumed whatever device is used.

If he buys 4GB, which costs £40 retail at an internal price of £20 and
only consumes 2GB, that's a profit of £30. £10 profit on the used data
and £20 pure profit on the unused allowance.
  #39  
Old April 25th 18, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On 23/04/2018 04:33, Chris in Makati wrote:
snip
But there's still the possibility of buying more data than is actually
consumed whatever device is used.


But with tethering there is a higher chance that this is someone on a
very limited budget who can't afford broadband and has purchased as much
data as they can afford but wishes they could have more so they will use
it all up.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
  #40  
Old April 25th 18, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 99
Default Cheap 4G dongle for short trip..?

On 23/04/2018 04:33, Chris in Makati wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:48:22 +0100, John Kenyon
wrote:

On 20/04/2018 03:20, Chris in Makati wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 21:06:49 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

3 do now allow tethering on their 3-2-1 PAYGO accounts.

It was always trivial to circumvent the tethering detection anyway.

I wonder why any network would want to prevent tethering? Surely a GB
is a GB, whatever kind of device you consume it with.


Because mobile companies make more money per Gb out of what you buy and
don't consume.

For example:

If a punter buys 1Gb of data which costs £10 retail, at an internal cost
of £5/Gb, and uses the whole lot: = £5 gross profit.


I am on contract (and I drive a hard bargain) but I pay a shade under
£1/GB on a 5.5GB walk away deal (that they really do not advertise at
all). I presume therefore that their internal cost is less than I pay.

I don't always use all of my data allowance every month (but I always
use it up first) and I never send more than a few dozen texts or come
close to the bundled minutes target. Maybe once a year I go over minutes
but that is evidence that the deal I am on is optimal.

If a punter buys 1Gb of data which costs £10 retail, at an internal cost
of £5/Gb, and uses 0.5Gb: = £7.50 gross profit, £2.50 on the used data,
and £5 pure profit on the unused allowance.


But there's still the possibility of buying more data than is actually
consumed whatever device is used.


Inevitably.

If he buys 4GB, which costs £40 retail at an internal price of £20 and
only consumes 2GB, that's a profit of £30. £10 profit on the used data
and £20 pure profit on the unused allowance.


When buying sacrificial data SIMs the priority for light use is the
200MB/month free Three SIM deal followed by whichever of EE/O2/Three
data SIMs are offering the best bulk data deal(s) at the time. Assuming
here you have network coverage.

Currently on Amazon small SIMs about £3-4/GB and larger ones £1.8/GB eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...Three+data+SIM

If you can wait there are sometimes better spot price deals (and the
SIMs keep OK for a year or two provided you don't activate them).

Some EE ones will work in Europe at no extra cost (although I have never
tried it). You need to check contract small print to activate some.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BT Versatility switch and ISDN ring trip, please help chris uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 January 18th 07 01:14 AM
Trip to Disney mickey uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 0 November 28th 04 05:20 PM
Trip to Disney mickey uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 November 28th 04 02:42 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2018 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.