Continued BT YAHOO! shambolics.

Old April 22nd 18, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Continued BT YAHOO! shambolics.

On Saturday, 21 April 2018 20:29:21 UTC+1, bert wrote:
In article , Michael R N Dolbear
writes

"Graham J" wrote
WHEN oh when are BT going to get rid of 'joke' Yahoo!?

You know the solution is to change email provider.

This will mean getting your own domain name. I know there will be
some

inconvenience - that of telling all your contacts your new email
address, but this may be the price you have to pay to get a reliable
email system. Think of all that spam that you will no longer receive!

Just get a backup provider, say gmx.com or gmx.co.uk

Or even a just a gmail account which will poll our btYahoo account and
collect the mail for you. So over a period of time your correspondents
will switch over.
--
bert

gmail is not paid for and they can [and sometimes do] cease your account on a whim. If you maintain the BT address, you still have to pay £5 per month just for the email - classic lock in :-(
Old April 22nd 18, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

The business version might suit you then. It is paid for and comes with
various benefits e.g customised email address.
https://gsuite.google.co.uk/intl/en_...ose-an-edition

If you maintain the BT address, you still have to pay £5 per month just
for the email - classic lock in :-(

For that kind of money you can have your own, managed email domain.

Old April 22nd 18, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 19/04/2018 06:58, Graham J wrote:
You know the solution is to change email provider.

Suggestions please?

My free email has announced it will end in June. Which is a PITA, when
the last free one was ceased last year.

Andy
Old April 22nd 18, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/04/2018 06:58, Graham J wrote:
You know the solution is to change email provider.

Suggestions please?

My free email has announced it will end in June. Which is a PITA, when
the last free one was ceased last year.

Andy

I get on very well with 1and1.co.uk (who are really German). I have my own
domain and each family member has an email address and mail box. Costs me
around £20 per year. In the last decade I think I've only suffered once
technical outage for a morning (well the only one I noticed).
Old April 22nd 18, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , R.
Mark Clayton writes
[...]

Not had any problems. But I have my own domain name and I can switch
e-mail service at whim and my correspondents would be totally unaware of
it.
If you maintain the BT address, you still have to pay £5 per month
just for the email - classic lock in :-(

I had assumed you were currently using a BTYahoo mail account free with
BTInternet. For any solution you are going to have to keep that account
for a while.
Incidentally whatever happened to BTs migration plan to Critical Path
was it?
--
bert
Old April 23rd 18, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message news

On 19/04/2018 06:58, Graham J wrote:
You know the solution is to change email provider.

Suggestions please?

My free email has announced it will end in June. Which is a PITA, when

the last free one was ceased last year.

I use gmx.com or gmx.co.uk (free)

Also Fastmail.com (paid).

--
Mike D

Old April 23rd 18, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 22-Apr-18 9:59 PM, bert wrote:

Incidentally whatever happened to BTs migration plan to Critical Path
was it?

Stopped about 3 years ago, no reason given, giving rise to the shambles
of having one half of the customer base on one system and the other half
on another!!
Old May 1st 18, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 20:47:53 +0000 (UTC), just as I was about to take
a herb, Tweed disturbed my reverie and wrote:

I get on very well with 1and1.co.uk (who are really German). I have my own
domain and each family member has an email address and mail box. Costs me
around £20 per year. In the last decade I think Iíve only suffered once
technical outage for a morning (well the only one I noticed).

It's great having one's own domains. I have about five and also got
domains for my children with their names in. XYL does not want nor
need one. She did have one but it was unused so she has an email addy
on one of my domains.

I register domains with heart and host with Xilo. Both great outfits.

I want an account with unlimited sub-domains*. If heart offered them
at a reasonable price I'd think about moving.

*I have been known to get a domain to use against an arse hole
retailer who won't give a refund or tries to re-write the laws of the
land. Never failed to get a refund ;-).
--
Cheers,

DrT