Facebook

Old April 24th 18, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

Default Facebook

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 17:22:54 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

Smartphones are fine, you just need to be careful what you install on
it, just like any other computer.

Yes. With great powers come great responsibilities and all that. I had
a look at my bank's phone app but quickly uninstalled it. Likewise
Samsung Pay, which would have to be linked to my bank account. It's
scary to think what could go wrong if somebody got hold of my phone
with stuff like that on it. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Rod.

---

Old April 24th 18, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yellow[_2_]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 17:28:38 +0100, Davey
posted:

On 24 Apr 2018 16:20:50 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

I just don?t get this. Why *wouldn?t* you want a powerful computer,
communication tool, decent quality camera, address book, diary and
access to billions of online resources at your finder tips?

I have my own computer at home, I have a perfectly good camera
available, plus one in my mobile 'phone, and no need to access all that
stuff when I'm not at home. Plus I don't see the need to spend the
money for something I can perfectly well do without.

Each to his own.

I held back on getting a smartphone for ages and only went for it when
my ISP offered me a SIM with a free data allowance, and while I agree
"each to their own", I would not be without it now.

Old April 24th 18, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yellow[_2_]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:06:26 +0100, Woody
posted:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:52:55 +0100, Davey
posted:

I am going through the lists of things that Facebook knows and
saves
about its users, which just about covers everything that could be
known
about people, such as:

"Device attributes: information such as the operating system,
hardware
and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available
storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and
plugins.
Device operations: information about operations and behaviours
performed on the device, such as whether a window is foregrounded
or
backgrounded, or mouse movements (which can help distinguish humans
from bots). Identifiers: unique identifiers, device IDs and other
identifiers, such as from games, apps or accounts that you use, and
Family Device IDs (or other identifiers unique to Facebook Company
Products associated with the same device or account). Device
signals:
Bluetooth signals, information about nearby Wi-Fi access points,
beacons and mobile phone masts. Data from device settings:
information
that you allow us to receive through device settings that you turn
on,
such as access to your GPS location, camera or photos. Network and
connections: information such as the name of your mobile operator
or
ISP, language, time zone, mobile phone number, IP address,
connection
speed and, in some cases, information about other devices that are
nearby or on your network, so we can do things such as help you
stream
a video from your phone to your TV."

"... we collect and learn from you and others (including any data
with special protections that you choose to provide where you have
given your explicit consent); how you use and interact with our
Products; and the people, places or things that you're connected
and interested in on and off our Products..."

" We use location-related information ? such as your current
location,
where you live, the places you like to go, and the businesses and
people you're near ?...."

And yet they can't flag up ads. that purports to come from one
person
who has notified them, Martin Lewis, and prevent them being put up?

I find that very hard to believe, if they can do all the other
stuff
they say they can.

Having the Facebook app on a phone looks to be a very very very bad
idea.

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

Is usenet not social media?
Old April 25th 18, 01:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On 24 Apr 2018 20:00:56 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

So you never want to look up bus/train/plane times when you're away
from your computer?

I have given up travelling al fresco since I retired. So, 'no'.

Never wondered where you were on a hillside when
trying to follow an ill defined path?

Not since I gave up walking after my feet gave out for any trip more
than about a mile.

Never wanted to book travel “on
the hoof” following an unexpected cancellation?

See first answer.

Never been curious
about an unknown plant/animal/thing? Have you never witnessed or
been involved in an accident and wished that you'd had a camera on
you?

I have a camera on my mobile 'phone, for just this kind of thing, and
that's if I don't have my real camera with me.

As I said, each to his own.

--
Davey.

Old April 25th 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 21:44:08 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

Is usenet not social media?

It's definitely more social than the likes of Twitface and all the
other systems that the young badly brought up phone junkies use.

I suspect the average age of usenetters is greater than that of the
twitterers, so most of us will have grown up learning how to interact
directly with other human beings, even when we disagree with them.

Rod.

---

Old April 25th 18, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 24/04/2018 20:06, Woody wrote:

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

What worries me is - how much does Facebook know about me?

I do not and never have had a Facebook account.

--

Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
Old April 25th 18, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

wrote:

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

Is usenet not social media?

It's definitely more social than the likes of Twitface and all the
other systems that the young badly brought up phone junkies use.

I suspect the average age of usenetters is greater than that of the
twitterers, so most of us will have grown up learning how to interact
directly with other human beings, even when we disagree with them.

I think it's the interface/design to some extent that encourages
*interaction* rather than just spouting.

--
Chris Green

Old April 25th 18, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Flop wrote:
On 24/04/2018 20:06, Woody wrote:

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

What worries me is - how much does Facebook know about me?

I do not and never have had a Facebook account.

Try googling your own name - possibly together with your approximate
location ...

--
Graham J

Old April 25th 18, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

wrote:

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

Is usenet not social media?

It's definitely more social than the likes of Twitface and all the
other systems that the young badly brought up phone junkies use.

Honestly, I don't think the young are the problem. It's the middle-aged
failures which are often the instigators of abuse. Apart from the
professional ****-stirrers; Katie Hopkins et al.

I suspect the average age of usenetters is greater than that of the
twitterers, so most of us will have grown up learning how to interact
directly with other human beings, even when we disagree with them.

And yet Usenet is just as full of hateful/annoying/abusive trolls as the
other forms.

In fact, the worst abuse I've received online has been on Usenet. I'm an
avid user of Twitter and it's generally a more pleasant experience. Can't
beat Usenet for direct help from knowledgeable people, but, god, the dicks
are annoying!

Old May 3rd 18, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

Is usenet not social media?

It's definitely more social than the likes of Twitface and all the
other systems that the young badly brought up phone junkies use.

Honestly, I don't think the young are the problem. It's the middle-aged
failures which are often the instigators of abuse. Apart from the
professional ****-stirrers; Katie Hopkins et al.

I suspect the average age of usenetters is greater than that of the
twitterers, so most of us will have grown up learning how to interact
directly with other human beings, even when we disagree with them.

And yet Usenet is just as full of hateful/annoying/abusive trolls as the
other forms.

True.

In fact, the worst abuse I've received online has been on Usenet. I'm an
avid user of Twitter and it's generally a more pleasant experience. Can't
beat Usenet for direct help from knowledgeable people, but, god, the dicks
are annoying!

True again.

Another point, IME most young people don't use usenet and prefer
farcebook and ****ter.

--
insert witty sig here