Facebook

Old May 4th 18, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Facebook

Mark wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 11:53:22 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 21:44:08 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

Is usenet not social media?

It's definitely more social than the likes of Twitface and all the
other systems that the young badly brought up phone junkies use.

Honestly, I don't think the young are the problem. It's the middle-aged
failures which are often the instigators of abuse. Apart from the
professional ****-stirrers; Katie Hopkins et al.

I suspect the average age of usenetters is greater than that of the
twitterers, so most of us will have grown up learning how to interact
directly with other human beings, even when we disagree with them.

And yet Usenet is just as full of hateful/annoying/abusive trolls as the
other forms.

True.

In fact, the worst abuse I've received online has been on Usenet. I'm an
avid user of Twitter and it's generally a more pleasant experience. Can't
beat Usenet for direct help from knowledgeable people, but, god, the dicks
are annoying!

True again.

Another point, IME most young people don't use usenet and prefer
farcebook and ****ter.

Depends what you mean by young. School-age teens are all on Snapchat as
their main form of social media. They are also on Twitter and FB but mostly
to follow groups setup by other organisations e.g. DofE, school, clubs.

But yeah, Usenet is the dominion of the middle-aged or older.