Facebook

Old April 24th 18, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default Facebook

I am going through the lists of things that Facebook knows and saves
about its users, which just about covers everything that could be known
about people, such as:

"Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware
and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available
storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins.
Device operations: information about operations and behaviours
performed on the device, such as whether a window is foregrounded or
backgrounded, or mouse movements (which can help distinguish humans
from bots). Identifiers: unique identifiers, device IDs and other
identifiers, such as from games, apps or accounts that you use, and
Family Device IDs (or other identifiers unique to Facebook Company
Products associated with the same device or account). Device signals:
Bluetooth signals, information about nearby Wi-Fi access points,
beacons and mobile phone masts. Data from device settings: information
that you allow us to receive through device settings that you turn on,
such as access to your GPS location, camera or photos. Network and
connections: information such as the name of your mobile operator or
ISP, language, time zone, mobile phone number, IP address, connection
speed and, in some cases, information about other devices that are
nearby or on your network, so we can do things such as help you stream
a video from your phone to your TV."

"... we collect and learn from you and others (including any data
with special protections that you choose to provide where you have
given your explicit consent); how you use and interact with our
Products; and the people, places or things that you're connected to
and interested in on and off our Products..."

" We use location-related information - such as your current location,
where you live, the places you like to go, and the businesses and
people you're near -...."

And yet they can't flag up ads. that purports to come from one person
who has notified them, Martin Lewis, and prevent them being put up?

I find that very hard to believe, if they can do all the other stuff
they say they can.

--
Davy.

Old April 24th 18, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yellow[_2_]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:52:55 +0100, Davey
posted:

[...]

Having the Facebook app on a phone looks to be a very very very bad
idea.
Old April 24th 18, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 15:22:30 +0100
Yellow wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:52:55 +0100, Davey
posted:

I am going through the lists of things that Facebook knows and saves
about its users, which just about covers everything that could be
known about people, such as:

"Device attributes: information such as the operating system,
hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength,
available storage space, browser type, app and file names and
types, and plugins.

snip

And yet they can't flag up ads. that purport to come from one
person who has notified them, Martin Lewis, and prevent them being
put up?

I find that very hard to believe, if they can do all the other stuff
they say they can.

Having the Facebook app on a phone looks to be a very very very bad
idea.

They even monitor your device's battery level. How cute.

I'm glad I don't have a "smartphone".

--
Davey.
Old April 24th 18, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Yellow wrote:

[...]

I just don't get this. Why *wouldn't* you want a powerful computer,
communication tool, decent quality camera, address book, diary and access
to billions of online resources at your finder tips?

Do you also travel everywhere by horse?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old April 24th 18, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yellow[_2_]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:45:14 +0100, Davey
posted:

Yellow wrote:

[...]

Smartphones are fine, you just need to be careful what you install on
it, just like any other computer.
Old April 24th 18, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On 24 Apr 2018 16:20:50 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

I just don't get this. Why *wouldn't* you want a powerful computer,
communication tool, decent quality camera, address book, diary and
access to billions of online resources at your finder tips?

I have my own computer at home, I have a perfectly good camera
available, plus one in my mobile 'phone, and no need to access all that
stuff when I'm not at home. Plus I don't see the need to spend the
money for something I can perfectly well do without.

Each to his own.

--
Davey.

Old April 24th 18, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
[...]

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 24th 18, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Davey wrote:
On 24 Apr 2018 16:20:50 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

I just don't get this. Why *wouldn't* you want a powerful computer,
communication tool, decent quality camera, address book, diary and
access to billions of online resources at your finder tips?

I have my own computer at home, I have a perfectly good camera
available, plus one in my mobile 'phone, and no need to access all that
stuff when I'm not at home. Plus I don't see the need to spend the
money for something I can perfectly well do without.

So you never want to look up bus/train/plane times when you're away from
your computer? Never wondered where you were on a hillside when trying to
follow an ill defined path? Never wanted to book travel “on the hoof”
following an unexpected cancellation? Never been curious about an unknown
plant/animal/thing? Have you never witnessed or been involved in an
accident and wished that you'd had a camera on you?

I could go on and on. The fact that you don't realise the potential of the
modern smart phone doesn't strike me as being something to boast about.

Tim
Old April 24th 18, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Woody wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message

Having the Facebook app on a phone looks to be a very very very bad
idea.

To my mind using any form of social media is a very very very bad
idea!

Usenet being one of the oldest forms of social media.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old April 24th 18, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 17:28:38 +0100, Davey
wrote:

I just dont get this. Why *wouldnt* you want a powerful computer,
communication tool, decent quality camera, address book, diary and
access to billions of online resources at your finder tips?

I have my own computer at home, I have a perfectly good camera
available, plus one in my mobile 'phone, and no need to access all that
stuff when I'm not at home. Plus I don't see the need to spend the
money for something I can perfectly well do without.

Some things are very handy though. I have the Google calendar on both
my computer and phone, and anything I enter on either device
automatically appears on the other one as well.

Also, it happens I've just booked some train tickets on the Virgin
website and noticed an option to add the details to my calendar. Sure
enough, a couple of mouseclicks and all the details are now on my
phone, with reminders, including the code I'll need to collect the
tickets from the machine, so no need to print anything out on paper.

Rod.

---