Hyperoptic left 400,000 British homes open to hacking..

Old May 4th 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Default Hyperoptic left 400,000 British homes open to hacking..

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 10:28:10 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Interesting that our illiterate friend, 7, hasn't popped up to tell us
why Hyperoptic's embarrassing problem is all BT's fault.

He's be gone from here for two weeks, and long may it continue.

Unlike you know who, I'm busy. Th spill chicker included.
$14 SFP modems have ripped the guts out BT (British Telecum) that lies on
public newspapwer like ft.com claiming there is no demand for fiber when
BT itslef has around 1 million fiber connections is poof that BT is a
lying no good nfor nothng crap cumpany and propped up with offcum
and its dark fiber tax which BT does not pay but which all small companies
must pay so that BT may live. Whaat a fscking troll eh?
Old May 4th 18, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi all,

I'm the researcher at Context behind the story. Thanks for posting it here. Our statement is here (and has recently been updated with a detailed timeline): https://www.contextis.com/news/hyper...licking-a-link

Andy above is spot on - although it's true that the web interface is not directly accessible from the Internet, it is accessible from a user's browser.. Therefore, if you can use a malicious webpage to reach the ZTE router (such as via DNS rebinding in this case), then you can connect to it. That, combined with a hidden hardcoded account with a shared password across all routers, is what allowed this attack to work prior to the fix being completed on 30th April.

Also, the default Hyperoptic DNS servers which are set in the routers do not block DNS responses containing private IP addresses (as opposed to OpenDNS as discussed above).

If you have any questions please let me know!

Thanks,

Daniel.
Old May 4th 18, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

wrote:

I'm the researcher at Context behind the story.

Was it actually exploited, or discovered first?