"Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules"

Old May 3rd 18, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

Default "Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules"

On 02/05/2018 17:32, Graham J wrote:
The only way one could get a guarantee of a specific speed would be with
FTTP.

Even then, subject to contention.

I can't really convince myself I ought to pay for the 300Mb available...

Andy
Old May 3rd 18, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 03/05/2018 21:07, Vir Campestris wrote:
I can't really convince myself I ought to pay for the 300Mb available...

A friend just outside San Francisco me that my 35 Mbps is around three
times faster than what he can get there. It took him a couple of weeks
to transfer all his photographs to the cloud (1TB of them). He now has
a 2Tbps link at work he can use so next time will be a bit faster

Old May 4th 18, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43962878

"Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules

Advertisements for broadband speeds that breach rules set to take effect
on 23 May will be banned, the Advertising Standards Authority has said.

The ASA's new rules require providers to include a median average speed
for the service between 20:00 and 22:00.

Providers will no longer be able to advertise "speeds of up to", which
currently can be available to just 10% of their customers.

And they will have to give details of any limitations that may affect
speed."

This is the same fscking organization that flaims fiber
by allowing copper cumpanies like BT (British Telecum) and Pusnet
to rebrand copper as fiber.

The utter fscking assholes.

They need to be taken to court again.

Old May 4th 18, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"7" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43962878

"Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules

Advertisements for broadband speeds that breach rules set to take effect
on 23 May will be banned, the Advertising Standards Authority has said.

The ASA's new rules require providers to include a median average speed
for the service between 20:00 and 22:00.

Providers will no longer be able to advertise "speeds of up to", which
currently can be available to just 10% of their customers.

And they will have to give details of any limitations that may affect
speed."

This is the same fscking organization that flaims fiber
by allowing copper cumpanies like BT (British Telecum) and Pusnet
to rebrand copper as fiber.

I've not problem with them calling it "fibre" even though the last few
hundred metres is copper, because there is a dramatic difference in speed
(typically 8 D / 0.4 U for ADSL and 20-60 / 6-12 for FTTC/VDSL). "Fibre" is
useful shorthand for the different technology and the different speed.

Ideally (in 7's parallel universe) everywhere would get FTTP and a Gigabit
connection. And we'd spend all our time clearing up the muck dropped by the
flying pigs :-)

For me, the 20 / 6 that I got at our old house was fast enough. For most
things, any improvement over that is not noticeable, though it *does*
shorten large downloads.

The increase over the 6 / 0.4 that we got with ADSL before upgrade was
dramatic, especially for the upload speed when sending large emails or
uploading large files over FTP (eg as evidence for support calls).

At the moment, we're in temporary accommodation (my parents' holiday cottage
in the Yorkshire Dales, until we find a new house) and the broadband is
painful: Speedtest.net gives speeds of about 1.8 / 0.2. But then it is a
long way from the exchange. I doubt very much whether the village will
*ever* get FTTC (*) since there are only two farms and ten houses. But it's
not many years ago that we were told that the village would never get
ADSL...

(*) Or a gas supply, even though the lanes 1/4 mile away were dug up and
suffered a lot of disruption when a major gas main was installed to carry
gas from one town to another. British Gas quoted a ridiculous amount of
money for supplying gas to the village, and significant proportion was
digging a trench, so the local farmer offered to do that for free, leaving
the skilled work of laying the pipes to British Gas, but that was Not
Allowed - British Gas had to do everything, and charge well over the going
rate for it. I think it was a case of "we don't want to do the work, so
we'll quote you a ridiculous price to make you go away".

Old May 4th 18, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

NY wrote:

"7" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:

[...]

So I take it you never spent 2000 on a PC to
play the best online games?

Becoz u will look the stupido look with a 20/6 short fsck stump?

Or stick a game server in your home for a capture the flag?

I doubt it - you said you got 20/6 while someone on Hyperoptic
has 1000/1000 for same price.

Old May 5th 18, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yellow[_2_]

On Wed, 2 May 2018 13:12:34 +0100, Java Jive
posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43962878

"Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules

Advertisements for broadband speeds that breach rules set to take effect
on 23 May will be banned, the Advertising Standards Authority has said.

The ASA's new rules require providers to include a median average speed
for the service between 20:00 and 22:00.

Providers will no longer be able to advertise "speeds of up to", which
currently can be available to just 10% of their customers.

And they will have to give details of any limitations that may affect
speed."

Given that everyone gets a different speed depending on their location,
I am not sure how this is supposed to help anyone.
Old May 7th 18, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 05/05/2018 13:04, Yellow wrote:
On Wed, 2 May 2018 13:12:34 +0100, Java Jive
posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43962878

"Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules

Advertisements for broadband speeds that breach rules set to take effect
on 23 May will be banned, the Advertising Standards Authority has said.

The ASA's new rules require providers to include a median average speed
for the service between 20:00 and 22:00.

Providers will no longer be able to advertise "speeds of up to", which
currently can be available to just 10% of their customers.

And they will have to give details of any limitations that may affect
speed."

Given that everyone gets a different speed depending on their location,
I am not sure how this is supposed to help anyone.

Agreed.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).