Plusnet prices going up, or maybe down

Old May 3rd 18, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Default Plusnet prices going up, or maybe down

Mark wrote:

I would guess that 99% of PN customers have never heard of IPv6 and
even fewer would want it.

What %age would you think for Sky customers?

Old May 3rd 18, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Caspersz

On 03/05/18 19:44, Chronos wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2018 12:50:57 +0100
Roderick Stewart wrote:

Do we really want this?

Whether we want it or not, we need it. We're running out of v4
addresses and CG-NAT is no solution, no matter how much privacy spin
you put on it. Your freedom to use the Internet and remain anonymous is
useless if the only things you can connect to are oligarchs with the
money to buy an address.

NAT doesn't protect you from a court order to identify the subscriber.
If they have NTP verifiable timestamps, nor do dynamic addresses as
the law now states that ISPs must keep connection records for just
this purpose. If you need anonymity, do it properly and get a VPN.
Even then, you're gambling that the VPN is ethical.

Privacy is something completely different (be careful what you send), as
is security (be careful what you ask for, you may just get it). Never
lump the three together.

The Internet of Things seems to want IPv6 and direct connections to play
along. Half of that is half-baked, I'm not sure I want that traffic
here, and if there is an emerging nation building dodgy web servers with
the usual half-arsed scamming rubbish, blocking IPv6 will just save me
time.

Besides the IPv6 addressing scheme itself is over complex, I can just
about get a non-technical user to quote an IPv4 address down the phone
from ipconfig, IPv6 - er, no hope.

I'm not really sold.

--
Adrian C
Old May 3rd 18, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

The Internet of Things seems to want IPv6 and direct connections

No part of switching from IPv4+NAT to IPv6 means you have to get rid of
firewalls ...

Old May 4th 18, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Do we really want this?

Whether we want it or not, we need it. We're running out of v4
addresses

Not running. Unless you're African, we've run out.

RIR Address Pool Exhaustion (no more /8s to allocate)
APNIC: April 2011
RIPE: Sep 2012
LACNIC: June 2014
ARIN: Sep 2015
AFRINIC: Mar 2019 (projected)

Without IPv6 or CGNAT, we can't put more subscribers on the internet.
Which do you prefer?

Theo
Old May 4th 18, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_4_]

On Fri, 04 May 2018 11:35:04 +0100, Chronos wrote:

On 04 May 2018 11:04:14 +0100 (BST)
Theo wrote:

Without IPv6 or CGNAT, we can't put more subscribers on the internet.
Which do you prefer?

For the continued equality of Internet hosts, IPv6. It's a no-brainer
*if* you understand how the Internet works. The alternative is
second-class netizens behind multiple layers of NAT and corporations in
control of almost everything else which is far from desirable or
acceptable.

Absolutely. I push it at students, and hopefully they get the message
that it's the future. One day they will be making the decisions.

And I get a /48 from my ISP!
Old May 4th 18, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:
Do we really want this? Would it be deployed using local addresses,
WAN addresses, NAT and DHCP just like IPv4, or would it make use of
the fact that IPv6 has enough addresses for every individual device on
the planet to be uniquely identified? It's not difficult to guess what
would happen if the lawmakers fully realised the possibilities that
this could offer them.

The anonymity of the internet is one of its greatest strengths, not
possessed by any other communication system, and it would be a tragedy
if we threw the last vestige of it away. What guarantees have we that
it won't happen?

It might help to think of a IPv6 /64 as equivalent to the IPv4 /32 (ie a
single v4 address) - in both cases this (should be) what your ISP hands out
to you.

Whatever you do behind that /64 is up to you. You can give everything
static global IP addresses. You can let them self-configure based on their
MAC addresses, or use DHCPv6. You can use privacy extensions so they change
rapidly. You can do 1:1 translation between public addresses and local-only
(ULA) addresses. You could even reimplement stateful NAT so everything
comes out of a single address, just like on v4.

You would presumably also want to firewall - but that's orthogonal to what
you do with addressing.

In the v4 case, you have to NAT because you have no choice - none of the
other options are available to you. v6 allows you scope to do all of these
things if you want to - but you can still decide to NAT if you insist.

Theo
Old May 4th 18, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Clive Page
writes
Have other Plusnet customers had an email giving prices changes?
Changes means increases, of course. It says that from 5th June they
are increasing phone line prices by 1/month but including free Caller
Display and Call Protect (previously 99p/month extra).

But they also have some other special offers like "unlimited broadband
and line rental" for 19.99/month, which is less than I'm paying now,
but it doesn't say whether this includes the Caller Display and Call
Protect; if it does it's silly of them not to say so. Otherwise I
can't see the downside to that, except it seems to require a 12 month
contract after which, I assume, the price will go up by default to
something silly.

But I see from MSE's money tips that if you not already a Plusnet
customer you can get broadband for only 10.24/month, which makes the
19.99 deal not look such a bargain. Inertia selling as always. So I
could save money by leaving for a month and then re-joining. Sigh.

Are you on fibre? They've offered me 22.99 per month.
--
bert
Old May 7th 18, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

On 04/05/2018 22:12, bert wrote:
Are you on fibre? They've offered me 22.99 per month.

No, but if they were to offer me that, I might consider it.

--
Clive Page
Old May 7th 18, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher[_3_]

On 04/05/2018 22:12, bert wrote:
[...]

mine just went up a pound but call thingy went down a pound.I'm on 80/20
Old May 7th 18, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_4_]

On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:41:07 +0100, Clive Page wrote:

On 04/05/2018 22:12, bert wrote:
Are you on fibre? They've offered me 22.99 per month.

No, but if they were to offer me that, I might consider it.

Orthopaedic boots. In concrete.