Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

Old May 12th 18, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

Default Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

On 12/05/2018 14:32, Stephen wrote:
And the flip side is that BT, goverments et al noticed part of their
population is not on the mainland, and have finally mostly fixed it as
an issue, at least for telecomms......

Seems ironic you can get FTTP in some Scottish islands and cannot get
FTTC in smaller places near major cities.

On the other hand - BT got ~ 150m from the Scottish parlement to fill
some of the gaps in Scotland.

There was a big operation laying submarine fibre around the Scottish
coast a few years ago.

BT have served the island with broadband much longer than anyone else,
most other telecom companies have still not found them on their map (if
they have one).

Years back a BT engineer wrote to a local paper that they could install
ADSL on his island for a fraction of what the council was spending on a
wireless system but "wireless" sounded sexier and got the money. I
don't know how long the wireless system lasted, I believe many closed
when the money ran out because no long term budgeting had been done..
Old May 12th 18, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 22:33:22 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more.

So the speeds are 5/50 upload download speed -

No 10 / 50

Troll! Nope. The amount is 5/50. The rest is kualite marketing.

net 55,
which means your local cumpanies don't believe you deserve
symmetric fiber internet speeds and give you a shiite stick
through which telecum is delivered unto you.

No they don't believe I need - they are right; and neither do I

That is why gullible trolls like you are so easy to control.

Wait for GDPR, and then all marketing trolls must vacate or be subject
to GDPR.

Yet nearly 4% of UK get 1000/1000 net 2000 Mbps bits capacity
with symmetric fiber links especially in rural areas covered by likes of
B4RN. And Hyperoptic, Citifiber, etc in the cities.

In near third world Portugal it is 80% of the population with fiber.

In the mean time, no one in UK will get gigabit capable
Internet even by 2020 by BT (Britsh fscking Telescum), Openroach,
Offcum and DARK FIBER TAX rip off which BT doesn't pay
but which all small operators must pay.

Sounds like Buttfsckinghamshire schemes are being rolled out to the
rest of UK.

Old May 12th 18, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Sat, 12 May 2018 16:24:29 +0100, MB wrote:

[...]

There were several networks built out using wireless, both for the
"last mile" and backhaul, but that had its own problems.

The subsea cable stuff solves the backhaul (especially as BT also
built a set of loops between main exchanges on the mainland to join it
all up)
- so Scotland has no shortage of backhaul bandwidth once you get to
those locations
- but wireless is still useful of end point locations where fibre is
impractical and you have line of sight
- big chunks of rural Scotland have a very low population density
compared to most of the UK.

The equipment at the relay sites tended to be on top of a mountain
- painful to access, difficult for repairs in much of the winter.

Some of the sea crossings are too far for a "1 hop" radio system
(longest one I had to use was ~ 60 Km single hop), so you needed a
relay on a pretty small island sticking out of the sea - needed enough
room for a mast a helipad, generators, tanks etc.

much of that radio equipment went in ~ 15 to 20 years ago, so was
fairly old, didnt have huge capacity esp compared to fibre and would
have had to be replaced.
You also have to maintain the physical stuff outdoors
- masts, dishes etc which are exposed to Scottish weather.

--
Stephen
Old May 13th 18, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 11/05/2018 09:17, Martin Brown wrote:
Rural locations tended to have private water supplies that were quite
decent (water quality taste wise was better).

Like Camelford, where 20 tonnes of aluminium sulphate was accidently
tipped into the wrong tank in 1988
Old May 13th 18, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew[_2_]

On 11/05/2018 14:41, NY wrote:
about 130 for two 47 kg cylinders which last a month at best - and
that's with a coal stove as supplementary heating.

But no standing charge !.

BG are increasing their standing charge by almost 50% in June,
so that will be almost 150 a year for the 'free' smart meter
and also 150 a year for the refuseniks !.
Old May 13th 18, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

BT is not a charity but a PLC and it's first duty is to its shareholders.

The reason there is poor to no broadband in rural area is it not worth
the expense to install from a commercial point of view, and as a PLC BT
cant work any other way.

A BT engineer told me that just the guts of the huawei fttc ( I'm
connected to) cabinet costs 65000 ,without backhaul and civils
electricity Cabinet.

Where I work we consider 250 per metre to install internet cabling
reasonable in towns and 150 in the countryside.

BT is not the GPO any more and has not been for very many years,it is a
commercial enterprise that has to give return to it's shareholders. What
ever you think about that. Not much personally

It is a bit rich of the Tory party to blame market forces for this when
they caused the problem in the first place. Also with brexit looming
that cuts off one of the sources of funding for local broadband.

Telecoms equipment is very expensive ,I have installed cards in a SDH
mux that cost more than my house at the time.
Old May 13th 18, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more.

So the speeds are 5/50 upload download speed -

No 10 / 50

Troll! Nope. The amount is 5/50. The rest is kualite marketing.

I have measured it. It could be 20/100 if I paid more to BT.

net 55,
which means your local cumpanies don't believe you deserve
symmetric fiber internet speeds and give you a shiite stick
through which telecum is delivered unto you.

No they don't believe I need - they are right; and neither do I

That is why gullible trolls like you are so easy to control.

I might be gullible, but you are the troll.

Wait for GDPR, and then all marketing trolls must vacate or be subject
to GDPR.

I know. What's that got to do with the speed of internet?

Old May 13th 18, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 12 May 2018 16:25:26 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
Usually a bit of a mixture of the two. In either a big tank or Calor gas
bottles the product is kept liquid by pressure alone.

Propane boils at -42C at 1 bar, Butane at -1.

As a matter of interest, what is the normal pressure of 47 kg propane
cylinders a) when full,

9 bar at 20C, 15 bar at 40C

b) when "empty" (ie too low a pressure to feed a
standard appliance such as a boiler or a gas fire)?

Dunno - probably quite near 0.

We had problems with a faulty changeover valve between two banks of two
cylinders each: this is supposed to flip over from a green indication to a
red indication when the pressure is too low (it also changes from one pair
of cylinders to the other). It was sticking on green after the gas pressure
was too low, so the boiler would no longer work but we didn't know to order
replacement cylinders. And I was surprised that the boiler didn't have a
special error code for "gas pressure too low".

Most of them do, especially LPG, and another for low system water pressure.

It did display an error,
after a lot of huffing and puffing and subdued whoof as it tried to light
what was probably a very lean gas:air mixture. However the error code was
bland and uninformative, along the lines of "something has gone wrong". If
it had said "gas pressure too low" I've have ordered more gas and saved
having to call out a heating engineer. I wonder whether the boiler's logic
is intended for mains gas, where low pressure is almost unheard of, and
hasn't catered for bottled gas where it can happen. I remember when my
parents ordered the boiler, they had to specify a different burner for
propane rather than methane, but evidently the logic is the same and doesn't
have a specific error code.

Old May 13th 18, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 13 May 2018 11:56:52 UTC+1, grinch wrote:
BT is not a charity but a PLC and it's first duty is to its shareholders.

The reason there is poor to no broadband in rural area is it not worth
the expense to install from a commercial point of view, and as a PLC BT
cant work any other way.

A BT engineer told me that just the guts of the huawei fttc ( I'm
connected to) cabinet costs 65000 ,without backhaul and civils
electricity Cabinet.

Where I work we consider 250 per metre to install internet cabling
reasonable in towns and 150 in the countryside.

7 thinks it cost peanuts, but then he want to insert his fibre for free in ducts someone else has paid to lay.

BT is not the GPO any more and has not been for very many years,it is a
commercial enterprise that has to give return to it's shareholders. What
ever you think about that. Not much personally

It is a bit rich of the Tory party to blame market forces for this when
they caused the problem in the first place. Also with brexit looming
that cuts off one of the sources of funding for local broadband.

Telecoms equipment is very expensive ,I have installed cards in a SDH
mux that cost more than my house at the time.

It keeps getting cheaper. 300 bps modems cost a fortune to rent in the 70's. In 1992 a 14k4bps V32bis modem cost me over 200 - similar to a top of the range router (e.g. Draytek 2862) now without allowing for inflation.
Old May 13th 18, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 13 May 2018 11:41:00 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 11/05/2018 09:17, Martin Brown wrote:
Rural locations tended to have private water supplies that were quite
decent (water quality taste wise was better).

Like Camelford, where 20 tonnes of aluminium sulphate was accidently
tipped into the wrong tank in 1988

That was a public water supply by South West Water.