Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

Old May 13th 18, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Default Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

On Saturday, 12 May 2018 17:31:23 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 22:33:22 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot
more.

So the speeds are 5/50 upload download speed -

No 10 / 50

Troll! Nope. The amount is 5/50. The rest is kualite marketing.

I have measured it. It could be 20/100 if I paid more to BT.

Kualite marketing. There is nothing in the provisioning that exceeds
10% of the download speed average.

net 55,
which means your local cumpanies don't believe you deserve
symmetric fiber internet speeds and give you a shiite stick
through which telecum is delivered unto you.

No they don't believe I need - they are right; and neither do I

That is why gullible trolls like you are so easy to control.

I might be gullible, but you are the troll.

Wait for GDPR, and then all marketing trolls must vacate or be subject
to GDPR.

I know. What's that got to do with the speed of internet?

Kualite marketing trolls can get their nuts roasted in courts.

Old May 13th 18, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 13/05/2018 11:40, Andrew wrote:
On 11/05/2018 09:17, Martin Brown wrote:
Rural locations tended to have private water supplies that were quite
decent (water quality taste wise was better).

Like Camelford, where 20 tonnes of aluminium sulphate was accidently
tipped into the wrong tank in 1988

I thought that was the public water supply from the South West Water
Authority so cannot even be blamed on privatisation.
Old May 13th 18, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 13/05/2018 11:56, grinch wrote:
BT is not a charity but a PLC and it's first duty is to its shareholders.

The reason there* is poor to no broadband in rural area is it not worth
the expense to install from a commercial point of view, and as a PLC BT
cant work any other way.

A BT engineer told me that just the guts of the huawei fttc ( I'm
connected to) cabinet costs 65000 ,without backhaul and civils
electricity Cabinet.

Where I work we consider 250 per metre to install internet cabling
reasonable in towns and 150 in the countryside.

BT is not the GPO any more and has not been for very many years,it is a
commercial enterprise that has to give return to it's shareholders. What
ever you think about that. Not much personally

It is a bit rich of the Tory party to blame market forces for this when
they caused the problem in the first place. Also with brexit looming
that cuts off one of the sources of funding for local broadband.

Telecoms equipment is very expensive ,I have installed cards in a SDH
mux that cost more than my house at the time.

One problem was that competition was flawed because protected state
owned monopolies from EU countries were able to dominate the utilities
because we stuck to the rules and allowed competition.

Why will funding not be available after we escape the EU? There is
nothing to suggest that there will not be foreign investment except in
the minds of a few rather loony Remoaners like Adonis.

Old May 13th 18, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 13/05/2018 13:15, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 11:41:00 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 11/05/2018 09:17, Martin Brown wrote:
Rural locations tended to have private water supplies that were quite
decent (water quality taste wise was better).

Like Camelford, where 20 tonnes of aluminium sulphate was accidently
tipped into the wrong tank in 1988

That was a public water supply by South West Water.

It was still South West Water Authority, the year before privatised.
Old May 13th 18, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot
more.

So the speeds are 5/50 upload download speed -

No 10 / 50

Troll! Nope. The amount is 5/50. The rest is kualite marketing.

I have measured it. It could be 20/100 if I paid more to BT.

Kualite marketing. There is nothing in the provisioning that exceeds
10% of the download speed average.

So why does it work then - independent test web site.

Old May 13th 18, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 13/05/2018 17:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 16:34:22 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:

Should I have to pay loads more so that people who choose to live miles from anywhere in the sticks can get rid of their septic and Calor gas tanks - I don't think so! If they want faster broadband they can pay for satellite or hope that Hyperoptic are digging up a field near them...

Should I have to pay the same to get an appalling service as you do to
get a very good one? I don't think so. I'm subsidising you.

Old May 13th 18, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 11/05/2018 09:17, Martin Brown wrote:
Lack of mains gas is a pretty good proxy for broadband not spots.

Our old house had mains gas, but crap broadband. We now have no gas, but
FTTP (and so do about half the village, once BT realised they were about
to lose the lot of us).

Andy
Old May 13th 18, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news
On 13/05/2018 17:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 16:34:22 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:

Should I have to pay loads more so that people who choose to live miles
from anywhere in the sticks can get rid of their septic and Calor gas
tanks - I don't think so! If they want faster broadband they can pay for
satellite or hope that Hyperoptic are digging up a field near them...

Should I have to pay the same to get an appalling service as you do to get
a very good one? I don't think so. I'm subsidising you.

That is the crucial thing. The fee should bear *some* relation to the
service provided. It is disingenuous to say that the extra cost for
providing a service out in the sticks (where it is technically more
difficult) should be cancelled out by a poor level of service.

Old May 14th 18, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 13 May 2018 19:33:20 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
On 13/05/2018 17:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 16:34:22 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:

Should I have to pay loads more so that people who choose to live miles from anywhere in the sticks can get rid of their septic and Calor gas tanks - I don't think so! If they want faster broadband they can pay for satellite or hope that Hyperoptic are digging up a field near them...

Should I have to pay the same to get an appalling service as you do to
get a very good one? I don't think so. I'm subsidising you.

That is a more interesting point, probably the rental should be reduced if the service / speed is lower.
Old May 14th 18, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 19:33:20 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
On 13/05/2018 17:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 16:34:22 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:

Should I have to pay loads more so that people who choose to live miles
from anywhere in the sticks can get rid of their septic and Calor gas
tanks - I don't think so! If they want faster broadband they can pay
for satellite or hope that Hyperoptic are digging up a field near
them...

Should I have to pay the same to get an appalling service as you do to
get a very good one? I don't think so. I'm subsidising you.

That is a more interesting point, probably the rental should be reduced if
the service / speed is lower.

If the rental was lower for lower speed, that would make ISPs put pressure
on BT OR to provide better quality lines so the ISPs would be able to pay BT
a greater amount (and also be able to charge their broadband customers
more). The present system doesn't place any financial incentive on BT to
improve things, especially if BT have already decided that the only break
point for price (FTTC) is "never" going to be viable for small communities.