Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

Old May 15th 18, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

On Monday, 14 May 2018 21:03:14 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 14/05/2018 15:00, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
It is a choice to live in the country for most and if you choose that you have to accept that it is uneconomic to provide the same level of services as cities or some cases even at all. You will moan about the price of LPG, the hassle of getting the septic tank emptied, the erratic electric in winter storms, infrequent buses and slow broadband - fine, but don't expect me to subsidise your chosen lifestyle.

So long as you don't expect us to pay for your street lights, traffic
wardens, and beat policemen. To name but a few...

I do pay for that in my council tax, police precept etc.

Andy

Old May 15th 18, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Bob Henson wrote:

The nearest sixth-form is ten miles away. The nearest bank is the
same distance.

Oh we have dozens of banks closer than that ... it's just that you can't
park near any of them :-)
Old May 15th 18, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , R.
Mark Clayton writes
On Friday, 11 May 2018 19:48:03 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
NY wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
It is cheaper if you have a tank - IIRC I paid 250 for 300kg (half her
tank) a couple of years back when my sister ran out before pay day.

Is that propane or LPG? Do boilers need more radical work (given that the
default is to run on methane - natural gas) for conversion to LPG rather
than to propane?

Isn't LPG simply either Propane or Butane?

--
Chris Green

Usually a bit of a mixture of the two. In either a big tank or Calor
gas bottles the product is kept liquid by pressure alone.

Propane boils at -42C at 1 bar, Butane at -1.

Liquefying natural gas (methane) is a bit more difficult. It is used in
compressed form
--
bert
Old May 15th 18, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 14/05/2018 17:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

WE PAY THE SAME PRICES AS YOU but get at best one-thirtieth of the
speed that you do.

But a 2MBps rural ADSL user consumes the same amount of equipment as a
17Mbps urban ADSL user, and quite probably costs more in engineer time
to keep it running.

That assumes that they bother to keep it running! I repeat, 11 examples
within a mile or two of here of supposedly 'buried' cabling being
exposed on the surface, three 'temporary' repairs from pre-2013, Jan
2014, and last winter still not made good, etc, etc.

* Those who are on VDSL do pay more depending whether
they want a 38Mbps or 76Mbps service ...

Not pro-rata they don't, see the graphs he
http://www.macfh.co.uk/Shinness/FTTC...l#Technologies

Old May 15th 18, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Those who are on VDSL do pay more depending whether
they want a 38Mbps or 76Mbps service ...

Not pro-rata they don't, see the graphs he

I understand your frustration (I used to be on a ****ty unreliable 2Mbps
ADSL connection) but I doubt the costs are directly proportional to
speed, but complaining about what costs who how much isn't going to get
you anywhere ...

Old May 15th 18, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 15/05/2018 15:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

I understand your frustration (I used to be on a ****ty unreliable 2Mbps
ADSL connection) but I doubt the costs are directly proportional to
speed, but complaining about what costs who how much isn't going to get
you anywhere ...

I didn't start this conversation, R Mark Clayton did.

Old May 15th 18, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 15/05/2018 12:07, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 21:03:14 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 14/05/2018 15:00, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
It is a choice to live in the country for most and if you choose that you have to accept that it is uneconomic to provide the same level of services as cities or some cases even at all. You will moan about the price of LPG, the hassle of getting the septic tank emptied, the erratic electric in winter storms, infrequent buses and slow broadband - fine, but don't expect me to subsidise your chosen lifestyle.

So long as you don't expect us to pay for your street lights, traffic
wardens, and beat policemen. To name but a few...

I do pay for that in my council tax, police precept etc.

Yes, and I pay for them too. I'm subsidising your services, and you're
subsidising mine. That's what society is all about.

Andy
Old May 17th 18, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

NY wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
It is cheaper if you have a tank - IIRC I paid 250 for 300kg (half her
tank) a couple of years back when my sister ran out before pay day..

Is that propane or LPG? Do boilers need more radical work (given that the
default is to run on methane - natural gas) for conversion to LPG rather
than to propane?

Isn't LPG simply either Propane or Butane?

--
Chris Green

Usually a bit of a mixture of the two. In either a big tank or Calor
gas bottles the product is kept liquid by pressure alone.

Propane boils at -42C at 1 bar, Butane at -1.

Liquefying natural gas (methane) is a bit more difficult. It is used in
compressed form
--
bert

Indeed - its critical point is -82C above which you can't liquify it by pressure.
Old May 17th 18, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 21:19:19 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 15/05/2018 12:07, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 21:03:14 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 14/05/2018 15:00, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
It is a choice to live in the country for most and if you choose that you have to accept that it is uneconomic to provide the same level of services as cities or some cases even at all. You will moan about the price of LPG, the hassle of getting the septic tank emptied, the erratic electric in winter storms, infrequent buses and slow broadband - fine, but don't expect me to subsidise your chosen lifestyle.

So long as you don't expect us to pay for your street lights, traffic
wardens, and beat policemen. To name but a few...

I do pay for that in my council tax, police precept etc.

Yes, and I pay for them too. I'm subsidising your services, and you're
subsidising mine.

Council tax is levied at different rates in different areas, so not necessarily.

That's what society is all about.

no that is what the consolidate fund is all about. Taxes are very rarely hypothicated for anything in the UK.

Andy