Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

Old May 9th 18, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more.

Still about a million with slow broadband, but they tend to live in the sticks like my sister. For some reason they moan about how everyone else should pay for them to get high speed broadband, but they forget that for other services there was a long wait compared to cities and it cost . My sister lived in small settlement in rural Lincolnshire and this is is when stuff was connected: -

Phone - unknown, but probably 1930's and even then.
Electricity - 1952
Mains water - unknown
Mains sewerage - 2016, with a 2k charge for connection.
Mains gas - still not got there, unlikely it ever will.
Old May 9th 18, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more.

Still about a million with slow broadband, but they tend to live in the
sticks like my sister. For some reason they moan about how everyone else
should pay for them to get high speed broadband.

You don't have to live very far out in the sticks. I was surprised to see a
whole housing estate of about 1970s vintage where they don't have FTTC
despite being within about a mile of the exchange, and no forecast of
when/if FTTC will every be enabled - "we are investigating ways of providing
it" as if it's a major exercise rather than a "just get on and do it"
exercise.

It seems to be one or two cabinets that don't have FTTC (maybe because
there's no fibre to them rather than because the cables won't support VDSL),
but fibre has been provided to the ones either side.

OK, fast ADSL is not to be moaned at, but the problem with ADSL is that even
if you get 18 Mbps down, you are still stuck with the 0.4 or 0.9 Mbps up
which is a problem in these modern days of backing up everything to cloud
storage. The decision to make ADSL quite *so* asynchronous was not a good
one, in hindsight :-)

Old May 9th 18, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more.

So the speeds are 5/50 upload download speed - net 55,
which means your local cumpanies don't believe you deserve
symmetric fiber internet speeds and give you a shiite stick
through which telecum is delivered unto you.

Yet nearly 4% of UK get 1000/1000 net 2000 Mbps bits capacity
with symmetric fiber links especially in rural areas covered by likes of
B4RN. And Hyperoptic, Citifiber, etc in the cities.

In near third world Portugal it is 80% of the population with fiber.

In the mean time, no one in UK will get gigabit capable
Internet even by 2020 by BT (Britsh fscking Telescum), Openroach,
Offcum and DARK FIBER TAX rip off which BT doesn't pay
but which all small operators must pay.

Sounds like Buttfsckinghamshire schemes are being rolled out to the
rest of UK.

Old May 10th 18, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 22:33:22 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more.

So the speeds are 5/50 upload download speed -

No 10 / 50

net 55,
which means your local cumpanies don't believe you deserve
symmetric fiber internet speeds and give you a shiite stick
through which telecum is delivered unto you.

No they don't believe I need - they are right; and neither do I

Old May 11th 18, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 09/05/2018 17:45, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more.

Still about a million with slow broadband, but they tend to live in the sticks like my sister. For some reason they moan about how everyone else should pay for them to get high speed broadband, but they forget that for other services there was a long wait compared to cities and it cost . My sister lived in small settlement in rural Lincolnshire and this is is when stuff was connected: -

Phone - unknown, but probably 1930's and even then.
Electricity - 1952
Mains water - unknown

Rural locations tended to have private water supplies that were quite
decent (water quality taste wise was better).

Mains sewerage - 2016, with a 2k charge for connection.
Mains gas - still not got there, unlikely it ever will.

Lack of mains gas is a pretty good proxy for broadband not spots.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 11th 18, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Martin Brown wrote:
Phone - unknown, but probably 1930's and even then.
Electricity - 1952
Mains water - unknown

Rural locations tended to have private water supplies that were quite
decent (water quality taste wise was better).

Mains sewerage - 2016, with a 2k charge for connection.
Mains gas - still not got there, unlikely it ever will.

Lack of mains gas is a pretty good proxy for broadband not spots.

We have 'Anglian' water but it comes from a very local source and is
some of the best tasting water I've had over the years. Electricity
has been here for a long time, it was undergrounded a few years ago.

No mains gas and nor will there ever be I don't think.

*BUT* full speed FTTC if we want, I'm only paying for 40 down, 10 up
but we get that exactly, reliably and all the time.

Very rural location in South Suffolk, small village of only '100
dwellings'.

I guess we're just lucky ro be fairly close to the cabinet! :-)

--
Chris Green

Old May 11th 18, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
Lack of mains gas is a pretty good proxy for broadband not spots.

I think there are a lot more houses without gas than are without decent (min
10 Mbps) broadband.

Old May 11th 18, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 11 May 2018 11:58:54 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
Lack of mains gas is a pretty good proxy for broadband not spots.

I think there are a lot more houses without gas than are without decent (min
10 Mbps) broadband.

They can get LPG, but it is expensive. Equally you can get satellite broadband on remote islands...
Old May 11th 18, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 09/05/2018 17:45, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
https://www.telecompaper.com/news/av...ofcom--1243640

And a better source ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44056617
"UK broadband speeds leap ahead, according to Ofcom study"

.... but ...

"but in rural areas, only 23% of connections surpassed 30 Mbps over the
same hours, while 53% were under 10 Mbps.

The regulator said the primary reasons for the discrepancy were less
availability and reduced take-up of cable and fibre services in the
countryside."

So, no change there then.

Mine is about that, and could be double if I wanted to pay a lot more.

Lucky you, buy why come willy-waving here about it?

Still about a million with slow broadband, but they tend to live in the sticks like my sister. For some reason they moan about how everyone else should pay for them to get high speed broadband

That's not how it is at all, we moan because:

:-( WE PAY THE SAME PRICES AS YOU but get at best one-thirtieth of the
speed that you do.

:-( Originally, the infrastructure was never buried properly, so
frequently gets cut by verge-trimming, snow-clearance, ditching, etc.
There are at least a eleven examples of supposedly 'buried' cabling
exposed on the surface within about a mile or two of here, and
vulnerable to further damage, and at least three 'temporary' repairs
left exposed on the roadside for more than 12 months, one of them has
been there since before I came here in 2013, and another since January 2014.

:-( So given this neglect, unsurprisingly the service breaks down
frequently, and then we have to wait longer for an engineer's visit -
my most recent case was reported on 25th April when the fault was about
24hrs old, and finally fixed on 9th May, a fortnight's delay, but
actually that's nothing, on previous occasions I've been with a severely
reduced - I mean severely reduced by comparison with the already
severely reduced 'normal' level - and intermittently absent service
for as long as six months.

:-( Every year that goes by without rural services being improved see
the 'weight' of the average web page increase with more and more fatty
bloat. Average page weight is now approximately 4-5 times what is
actually necessary to display the content, so in effect our already slow
speeds are reduced by about a quarter because it takes 4-5 times as long
to load a page as it used to.

but they forget that for other services there was a long wait compared to cities and it cost . My sister lived in small settlement in rural Lincolnshire and this is is when stuff was connected: -

Whereas the urban moaners like yourself always forget that you get so
much better a service FOR THE SAME COST. It doesn't take much to work
out from the fact that you're already moaning that if you were paying
the same price for a 1/30 of the speed, you'd be moaning much worse than
we do, you'd be moaning your ****ing head off.
Old May 11th 18, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Friday, 11 May 2018 11:58:54 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
Lack of mains gas is a pretty good proxy for broadband not spots.

I think there are a lot more houses without gas than are without decent
(min
10 Mbps) broadband.

They can get LPG, but it is expensive. Equally you can get satellite
broadband on remote islands...

I was meaning "a lot more houses without *mains* gas than without decent
broadband". Anywhere can get bottled gas (providing it can be delivered!).
My parents have a cottage in the Dales which comes into the
never-in-a-million-years category for mains gas; sadly they chose to go for
bottled gas rather than oil for the central heating, and it's horrendously
expensive: about 130 for two 47 kg cylinders which last a month at best -
and that's with a coal stove as supplementary heating.

The irony is that about 20 years ago, British Gas dug up one of the main
access roads to the village in order to install a large main to take gas
from one town to the next. The village enquired about the cost of having a
spur, but it was horrendously expensive for two farms and seven houses. The
local farmer offered to do the unskilled work of digging a trench with his
JCB for free, ready for British Gas to do the skilled work of installing the
pipe and connecting it up, but that was Not Allowed: BG had to use their own
contractor who charged a disproportionally high amount. I think the charges
were higher than normal because BG didn't want to hassle of a small spur off
a trunk main.

At least telephone cable can be installed/upgraded more easily than gas
pipes. Mind you, I imagine the chances of FTTC in this millennium are
sqrt(bugger-all).