Extending FTTC from a master socket

Old November 19th 18, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Extending FTTC from a master socket

On Mon 19/11/2018 21:10, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/11/2018 20:59, Woody wrote:

I have a 5m length of flat CAT5e which is 6mm wide and 1mm thick to
link two adjacent bedrooms. It works a treat on a gigabit circuit -
highly recommended.

For the ADSL feed from BT box/filter to router you could try almost
any of the cables on this page
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...e&rt=nc&_dmd=2

That's puzzling, I don't trust it..!

Que? No understand.....

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old November 19th 18, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:

Woody wrote:

I have a 5m length of flat CAT5e which is 6mm wide and 1mm thick to
link two adjacent bedrooms. It works a treat on a gigabit circuit

That's puzzling, I don't trust it..!

I have a couple of round, rather than flat, cat6A cables under 3mm
diameter, I haven't actually tried it at 10Gbps but no problem at 1Gbps.

https://amazon.co.uk/SAMZHE-Gigabit/dp/B01M0ABFPH?th=1
Old November 19th 18, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 19/11/2018 16:22, MissRiaElaine wrote:
How does flat Ethernet cable work..? Are the pairs still twisted..? If
not, it surely defeats the idea of twisted pairs..?

The pairs will be twisted. Each pair can be separate.

Next to me I have an old SCSI 1 device. The data cable is 25 twisted
pairs, all laid out in a row.

Andy
Old November 20th 18, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Woody wrote:
On Mon 19/11/2018 19:36, Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/11/2018 08:11, Chris wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

One pair for 'phone, more for Cat5 if you want full speed - all 4 for
gigabit. And you can get flat Cat5.

Aye. That's what we have. Also fits unobtrusively around door frames.

How does flat Ethernet cable work..? Are the pairs still twisted..? If
not, it surely defeats the idea of twisted pairs..?

No idea. It definitely works though.

+1

I have a 5m length of flat CAT5e which is 6mm wide and 1mm thick to link
two adjacent bedrooms. It works a treat on a gigabit circuit - highly
recommended.

For the ADSL feed from BT box/filter to router you could try almost any
of the cables on this page
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...e&rt=nc&_dmd=2

speaking of which, does anyone know where to source suitable cable clips
for flat Ethernet cables? I've resorted to cutting down twin+earth clips in
order to keep the cable flat.

Old November 20th 18, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/11/2018 20:59, Woody wrote:

I have a 5m length of flat CAT5e which is 6mm wide and 1mm thick to
link two adjacent bedrooms. It works a treat on a gigabit circuit -
highly recommended.

For the ADSL feed from BT box/filter to router you could try almost
any of the cables on this page
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...e&rt=nc&_dmd=2

That's puzzling, I don't trust it..!

Has anybody tested a length with a suitable cable-tester? I have an old
Fluke DSP-100 rather like the one advertised he

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352090157678

.... so if somebody would care to send me a long patch cable I could
measure it. The tester measures characteristic impedance, near-end and
far-end crostalk, loss, and the like; so a cable not having the correct
twisting or pin mapping will likely appear to be out of specification.

The key points are that the cable should have its pairs twisted with
each pair twisting at a different pitch, and the individual wires should
connect to the correct pins on the RT45 plugs, see for example
https://www.showmecables.com/blog/post/rj45-pinout/.
The usual convention is T-568B.

I've seen short flat patch cables supplied with NAS boxes and routers
from Buffalo Technology but I've never measured one - sorry.

--
Graham J