Hammond to pledge superfast broadband for most homes

Old May 23rd 18, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Hammond to pledge superfast broadband for most homes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44215833

However ...

"But consumer advice website Thinkbroadband told the BBC the government
was unlikely to reach its goal.

The telecoms industry has already begun a number of major high speed
broadband rollouts, with firms including BT, Vodafone and Virgin Media
hoping to reach up to five million premises by 2020.

However, these projects have faced delays and are mainly focused on
cities and some rural areas.

Thinkbroadband's editor Andrew Ferguson said there it would take a lot
of work to reach the target, adding: "If other government policies such
as building more affordable homes come to fruition, then 15 million will
not be a majority but account for around 45% of premises."

So, yet another example of giving more to those who already have a lot,
and giving nothing to those that have currently next to nothing or
nothing at all.
Old May 23rd 18, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44215833

Openreach and Virgin FTTP are both available to me (I suspect the latter
would have a zero install cost, the former would be eye-watering) but I
feel no need to have 300Mbps/50Mbps 80/20 is fine.

I feel they should be 'encouraged' to give those with bad broadband,
better broadband; rather than those with good broadband, gold-plated
broadband.
Old May 23rd 18, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Wed, 23 May 2018 20:55:48 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44215833

Openreach and Virgin FTTP are both available to me (I suspect the latter
would have a zero install cost, the former would be eye-watering) but I
feel no need to have 300Mbps/50Mbps 80/20 is fine.

I feel they should be 'encouraged' to give those with bad broadband,
better broadband; rather than those with good broadband, gold-plated
broadband.

Some analysis from a site that tracks broadband rollout
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...remises-target

--
Stephen
Old May 24th 18, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 23/05/2018 20:55, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44215833

Openreach and Virgin FTTP are both available to me (I suspect the latter
would have a zero install cost, the former would be eye-watering) but I
feel no need to have 300Mbps/50Mbps 80/20 is fine.

I feel they should be 'encouraged' to give those with bad broadband,
better broadband; rather than those with good broadband, gold-plated
broadband.

TBH I think hell will freeze over first.

You can get the country's broadband *average* speed up a long way far
more easily and profitably by installing a modest number of incredibly
fast lines to the super rich in the centre of London.

Sorting out the people who barely get 1Mbps on a good day is never going
to be a priority on their ancient rotting copper rural wires in muddy
waterlogged trenches or even worse on poles flayed by tree branches.

I get 5Mbps/0.5Mbps with no prospect on fixed line of ever going higher.

FTTC is on my exchange but I am on an EO line and the nearest cabinet is
even further from me than the exchange (way too for for VDSL to work).
That is the problem with rural villages for the most part they are too
spread out to be able to get a sensible number of nodes for a cabinet to
be used efficiently and the much touted FTTRN was still-born.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 24th 18, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44215833

Openreach and Virgin FTTP are both available to me (I suspect the latter
would have a zero install cost, the former would be eye-watering) but I
feel no need to have 300Mbps/50Mbps 80/20 is fine.

Sounds like a you are a half citizen of the Internet with half the needs
of others.

I welcome anyone who can provide me with 1000/1000 in London
like the million that already has this in UK (mainly in the countryside
and small towns).

If you buy a 2000 gaming PC, there is no point in getting anything
less than a 1000/1000 symmetric fiber Internet - the only way
to win at online games. The average competitor is now faster than
ever before. I used to manage 3 or 4th from bottom with 80/20.
Now I always end up bottom or 2nd from bottom with 80/20
May be 1 place higher on a 300/20 network.
I log on as a girl in case my pride is harmed.

Old May 26th 18, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 24/05/2018 09:09, Martin Brown wrote:
You can get the country's broadband *average* speed up a long way far
more easily and profitably by installing a modest number of incredibly
fast lines to the super rich in the centre of London.

Unfortunately certain small companies cherry-pick that type of customer
whilst their fans make stupid comments about the bigger companies whilst
the small companies never consider trying to serve the more difficult
areas - not unless very heavily subsidised.
Old May 26th 18, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 24 May 2018 13:15:58 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44215833

Openreach and Virgin FTTP are both available to me (I suspect the latter
would have a zero install cost, the former would be eye-watering) but I
feel no need to have 300Mbps/50Mbps 80/20 is fine.

Sounds like a you are a half citizen of the Internet with half the needs
of others.

Sounds like he a normal person with similar needs to everyone else.

BT have just offered me 100Mbps for no increase in rental, so I will be looking into it - might be FTTP.

I welcome anyone who can provide me with 1000/1000 in London
like the million that already has this in UK (mainly in the countryside
and small towns).

If you buy a 2000 gaming PC, there is no point in getting anything
less than a 1000/1000 symmetric fiber Internet - the only way
to win at online games. The average competitor is now faster than
ever before. I used to manage 3 or 4th from bottom with 80/20.
Now I always end up bottom or 2nd from bottom with 80/20
May be 1 place higher on a 300/20 network.
I log on as a girl in case my pride is harmed.

OTOH there are a tiny minority of juvenile spotty computer geeks, closeted away in their bedrooms playing online games 18/24...

It looks like you finally got a spell checker, so why not get a life as well.
Old May 27th 18, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sat, 26 May 2018 05:24:26 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

Openreach and Virgin FTTP are both available to me (I suspect the latter
would have a zero install cost, the former would be eye-watering) but I
feel no need to have 300Mbps/50Mbps 80/20 is fine.

Sounds like a you are a half citizen of the Internet with half the needs
of others.

Sounds like he a normal person with similar needs to everyone else.

I manage perfectly well with about 30/5Mb/s, so I guess that makes me
about a tenth of a citizen. However I can watch streamed high
definition television without any problems, or download the occasional
Linux distro without waiting all night for it, and do all the other
less strenuous routine things that people do on the internet. What I
have is comfortably (but not ridiculously) in excess of my needs, so
I'm happy. I can't imagine why anybody who isn't running an
internet-related business of some kind could possibly need more.

Rod.

---

Old May 27th 18, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Indeed, even then most SME's will be OK with 50 - 75 Mbps. Obviously if you have a large office full of architects or video editors you might need more, although some posters in this group do not understand the principle of statistical multiplexing.

From 2010 - 2015 we had an office with 10 - 20 working plus visitors (some art-working literature) running on 50Mbps on cable with an 8Mbps back up from BT. The latter was also used to carry Voip. Rarely any problem unless the cable went down. The [Draytek] router had the capability to run over 3/4G as well, although we never had to rush out and buy the dongle.