POTS line to/from VoIP

Old June 26th 18, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Higton

Default POTS line to/from VoIP

Clearly, from what I've read, I'm not the only person to have wanted
to convert their POTS land line to VoiP. However, I'm unable to find
a solution that is currently available in the UK.

It would be convenient to receive POTS calls on our mobiles while at
home. Being able to receive them if we're not at home is absolutely
NOT essential, but might be a nice-to-have (I have OpenVPN working).
I use CSipSimple. I also have a VoIP PAYG service from Sipgate, but
it never gets used, nor do we normally call out on the land line,
because mobile calls are free (more inclusive minutes than we ever
use) but calls from Sipgate and the land line are not.

I believe CSipSimple will register to more than one server, so an
appliance would be fine, i.e. a simple box that has an FXO port and
provides a SIP UAS+UAC; but I've never found one to exist.

Next obvious solution is a Raspberry Pi and Rasterisk, with an FXO
adapter. I've installed Asterisk numerous times, so I'm happy doing
it. The problem is that I haven't found an FXO adapter currently
available in the UK, either new (preferred) or second hand. Perhaps
I haven't used the right search terms.

Any useful suggestions would be welcome!

Dave
Old June 26th 18, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob Eager[_4_]

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 21:02:58 +0100, David Higton wrote:

Next obvious solution is a Raspberry Pi and Rasterisk, with an FXO
adapter. I've installed Asterisk numerous times, so I'm happy doing it.
The problem is that I haven't found an FXO adapter currently available
in the UK, either new (preferred) or second hand. Perhaps I haven't
used the right search terms.

SPA3102? That's what I use. It brings POTS into my Asterisk box, and also
provides an FXS port which is used (separately) for the doorbell (which
is linked to the phone system).
Old June 26th 18, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Roger Bell_West wrote:

If you don't mind using a full-on PC, there are plenty of PCI FXO cards
available

Are these any different from the WinModems sold as "X100P compatible"
for use with Asterisk a few years ago? I never had much joy with echo
cancellation using one of those ...
Old June 26th 18, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Higton

In message

On 2018-06-26, David Higton wrote:
Next obvious solution is a Raspberry Pi and Rasterisk, with an FXO
adapter.

If you don't mind using a full-on PC, there are plenty of PCI FXO cards
available from e.g. voipon.co.uk (no association except that I bought an
FXO card from them in 2010).

Well, I'm not keen. Too much noise and power consumption (each watt
costs roughly GBP1 per year). Also it means buying one, as I don't
have one spare, so a PC plus an FXO card is a significant cost. A
lower power and quieter one seems to be rather more costly than an
ordinary, noisier one.

Dave
Old June 26th 18, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Higton

In message
Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 21:02:58 +0100, David Higton wrote:

Next obvious solution is a Raspberry Pi and Rasterisk, with an FXO
adapter. I've installed Asterisk numerous times, so I'm happy doing it.
The problem is that I haven't found an FXO adapter currently available
in the UK, either new (preferred) or second hand. Perhaps I haven't
used the right search terms.

SPA3102?

Unavailable in the UK AFAICS. Was discontinued by Cisco years ago.

Dave
Old June 26th 18, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham J[_2_]

David Higton wrote:
Clearly, from what I've read, I'm not the only person to have wanted
to convert their POTS land line to VoiP. However, I'm unable to find
a solution that is currently available in the UK.

It would be convenient to receive POTS calls on our mobiles while at
home. Being able to receive them if we're not at home is absolutely
NOT essential, but might be a nice-to-have (I have OpenVPN working).
I use CSipSimple. I also have a VoIP PAYG service from Sipgate, but
it never gets used, nor do we normally call out on the land line,
because mobile calls are free (more inclusive minutes than we ever
use) but calls from Sipgate and the land line are not.

I'm confused as to what you actually want.

POTS calls received on a mobile. If this is a POTS call to your
landline, then diversion to the mobile number will achieve this, and
your landline is billed for the call charge to the mobile. But apart
from avoiding the need for a landline handset I can't see what this
achieves.

POTS calls received on a mobile when not at home. I would have thought
this essential, and completely the point of having a mobile; you can
receive calls anywhere. Anywhere, that is, where there is a mobile
signal; so not in my home, for example.

Calls to a VoIP number can be redirected to a mobile - see Voipfone:
https://www.voipfone.co.uk/

Calls to the mobile where there is no mobile service: this can be
achieved using (for example) the Vodafone Sure-Signal (see:
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/c...s/sure-signal). It
only works with numbers registered to it, so no good for visitors.

--
Graham J

Old June 27th 18, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger

On 26/06/2018 21:02, David Higton wrote:
[...]

I converted 2 years ago and use a gigaset base station for all my VOIP
lines. Its much simplier to set up than my old SPAs and much more reliable.

However, if you dont need to have a landline phone plugged into
something why do you need an FXO port? If you have Csipsimple, simply
transfer your landline number to sipgate and use csipsimple on your
mobiles registered to your sipgate number when at home - no forwading
costs involved. Just a £40 resgitatraion cost to transfer your landline
number. If you have a reasonbable data plan you can also use csipsimple
when away from the home (or alternatively just get the sipgate
voicemails sent to your email account so you know whenever someone has
left a voicemail)
Old June 27th 18, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob Eager[_4_]

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 23:25:10 +0100, Roger wrote:

However, if you dont need to have a landline phone plugged into
something why do you need an FXO port? If you have Csipsimple, simply
transfer your landline number to sipgate and use csipsimple on your
mobiles registered to your sipgate number when at home - no forwading
costs involved. Just a £40 resgitatraion cost to transfer your landline
number. If you have a reasonbable data plan you can also use csipsimple
when away from the home (or alternatively just get the sipgate
voicemails sent to your email account so you know whenever someone has
left a voicemail)

I wanted the FXO port because I have a BT landline for DSL. One day I
will move it...

Meanwhile, I get free calls at weekends, etc. plus very cheap calls via a
third party provider the rest of the time. VoIP is mainly used for
incoming calls.
Old June 27th 18, 03:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

In message
Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 21:02:58 +0100, David Higton wrote:

Next obvious solution is a Raspberry Pi and Rasterisk, with an FXO
adapter. I've installed Asterisk numerous times, so I'm happy doing it.
The problem is that I haven't found an FXO adapter currently available
in the UK, either new (preferred) or second hand. Perhaps I haven't
used the right search terms.

SPA3102?

Unavailable in the UK AFAICS. Was discontinued by Cisco years ago.

Dave

New old stock 3102's available on Ebay.
For half the price you can get the even earlier SPA3000
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlocked-Li...y/292334174377
which is what I use for integrating my POTS line with my Raspberry Pi
Asterisk box.

Although the system is set up to deliver incoming calls to my mobile
both inside and outside my home network over wifi using CSipSimple, I
generally don't use it that way. It is so cheap to call a mobile using
my preferred VoIP CP (Three tenths of a penny per minute), that my
system rings my mobile number as well as the extensions in the house.

The real magic is the way I make calls from my PAYG mobile without
using any credit whatsoever.

By dialling a trigger number (just a Sipgate geographic number), my
Asterisk PABX will, without answering that call, call me back
immediately and give me system dialtone.

I can now dial any destination number, just as I would from one of my
home extensions. Cost to dial another UK mobile is now SIX tenths of a
penny/min because there are two simultaneous VoIP calls, one from
home back to me, and the other from home out to the destination.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old June 27th 18, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 26 June 2018 21:03:03 UTC+1, David Higton wrote:
[...]

I ported a geographic number from ISDN to VOIP (Voipfone) over ten years ago, when BT fumbled migrating MSN's from ISDN to BT Voip over ADSL insisting on a new number.

I have had three mobile phones that can support Voip native - Nokia N79 2009, Nokia N8 2011 and a Samsung Galaxy S8 (2018). A Galaxy S7 bought 2017 had had the feature crippled out in mid 2017.

These can originate or receive Voip calls over Wi-Fi, 3G or 4G. This makes the geographic number movable, but not fully mobile.

The only real issue is which registered device (I use Siemens Gigaset at my home / office) gets the incoming calls. The Gigaset also takes calls on a POTS line.