Integration of VoIP with Tunstall healthcare alarm

Old July 18th 18, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham J[_2_]

Default Integration of VoIP with Tunstall healthcare alarm

David Woolley wrote:
On 29/06/18 10:11, Graham J wrote:

Tunstall cannot confirm that the unit will work with VoIP, but their
technical support people don't really understand the question,
confusing it with integration with a fibre connection to the home.

I believe these devices contain a modem (ignoring that DTMF
encoder/decoders are modems!).

They will have been tested for use on VoIP, but only to the 21CN
specification, i.e. using G.711 and with very low latency.* Any
commercial VoIP network is likely to have far too much latency for any
modem that is sensitive to latency.

Also, of the parameters mentioned, I would turn off echo suppression.
That's one of the purposes of the 2100 Hz answer tone that modems
generate, but the ATA may well not understand that.

Codecs have already been discussed, but I would add that the provider
may, remotely, force the use of incompatible codec; they are selling a
voice only service.

I'd also note that this is a safety life application and I'd be
surprised if VoIP operators didn't disclaim liability.

Noted.

Do you suppose Openreach and BT would accept liability ???

--
Graham J

Old July 18th 18, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

[...]

It used to be, (and maybe still is in the case of old boxes with no
Internet connection), a requirement that Sky Multi-room boxes were
permanently connected to the same telephone line, so Sky would know
they were not being used in separate premises.

I tried, quite hard as it happened, to coax a sky box to communicate
via VoIP so the CLI could be spoofed, but it stubbornly refused to
negotiate a connection.

Others that tried this all seemed to fail too.

I came to the conclusion that Sky had purposely made their end
particularly sensitive to latency.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%