Plusnet call protect seems to help

Old July 8th 18, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Plusnet call protect seems to help

On 06/07/2018 15:12, NY wrote:

JWs are particularly pernicious because they don't recognise a polite
"no thanks", nor a forceful "no", nor a blatant "please go away";
instead they try to put a verbal foot in the door and keep you going.
And it's harder to close the door than it is to put the phone down.

I'm god and omnipresent, but I pretend I'm not in ... it seems to work!-)
Old July 9th 18, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 15:12:46 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
I had a pair of JWs knock. So I invited them in, sat them down and
offered tea and coffee.

Around forty years ago I kept two of them talking for a couple of hours
over a glass of wine - the more experience one eventually realised I was
taking the proverbial...

My grandma sometimes got a bit lonely, so if JWs called she would invite
them in for a chat. As well as giving her someone to talk to (and yes, she
probably would have done most of the talking!) she saw it as doing a favour
for her neighbours in keeping the JWs off the street.

My feeling is that *any* stranger (ie not friend, neighbour, colleague) who
contacts me out of the blue, whether it be by phone, email, text or at the
door, is an equal nuisance. It is irrelevant whether their intentions are
honourable or malicious - they are still guilty of pestering and disturbing
me.

There are a few people (that I don't know) who call at the door that I
don't mind, but I *hate* cold callers, spammers etc.

JWs are particularly pernicious because they don't recognise a polite "no
thanks", nor a forceful "no", nor a blatant "please go away"; instead they
try to put a verbal foot in the door and keep you going. And it's harder to
close the door than it is to put the phone down.

I find saying "No thanks" to JWs and close the door works fine for me.

It really is time for us to make it clear to all unsolicited callers etc
that their techniques stink.

--
Definitions:
"Brexicide" -- Destroying the prosperity of the UK by leaving the EU.
Old August 9th 18, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 05/07/2018 09:08, Clive Page wrote:
All we need now is
something to deter Jehovah's Witnesses and the like from ringing the
doorbell.

It's not mandatory to answer the doorbell. Sometimes I simply ignore it.
Other times, open the front door, and before they speak, just say,
'Lovely to see you, but I'm really not interested, thank you anyway' and
close the door

--
Mark
Old August 9th 18, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 09/08/18 08:37, Mark Carver wrote:
On 05/07/2018 09:08, Clive Page wrote:
All we need now is something to deter Jehovah's Witnesses and the like
from ringing the doorbell.

It's not mandatory to answer the doorbell. Sometimes I simply ignore it.
Other times, open the front door, and before they speak, just say,
'Lovely to see you, but I'm really not interested, thank you anyway' and
close the door

It's not mandatory to answer the doorbell, but it's still annoying if
it's constantly ringing. We live in a flat and have an intercom outside
the communal door to the block. On the handset inside, there's a privacy
button you can press to cut off the buzzer.

If your doorbell is wired, just fit a small switch in series with the
pushbutton outside. If it's a wireless one, take out the battery in the
receiver. Job done..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 9th 18, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 11:21:00 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

[...]

Ours can be muted on a room by room basis, which is useful when sons
order a takeaway at 2 a.m.
Old August 9th 18, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 05/07/2018 09:08, Clive Page wrote:
All we need now is something to deter Jehovah's Witnesses and the like
from ringing the doorbell.

It's not mandatory to answer the doorbell. Sometimes I simply ignore it.
Other times, open the front door, and before they speak, just say, 'Lovely
to see you, but I'm really not interested, thank you anyway' and close the
door

and how do you know that it's not some official coming to tell you you have
to evacuate because there's a gas leak (or whatever)

tim

Old August 9th 18, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 05/07/2018 09:08, Clive Page wrote:
All we need now is something to deter Jehovah's Witnesses and the like
from ringing the doorbell.

It's not mandatory to answer the doorbell. Sometimes I simply ignore it.
Other times, open the front door, and before they speak, just say,
'Lovely to see you, but I'm really not interested, thank you anyway' and
close the door

and how do you know that it's not some official coming to tell you you
have to evacuate because there's a gas leak (or whatever)

Yes, there are all manner of people who have a genuine reason to call
(postman with a large package, friend who has popped in unannounced on the
off-chance) so it makes sense always to answer it. Same as answering the
phone if you haven't got caller ID: you don't know who it is until you
answer. Which is why it ****es me off that people abuse the system by
selling goods or their religion at the door or on the phone.

People selling goods usually understand the meaning of the word "no" but we
had a batch of Mormons who kept visiting the area, who tried every trick in
the book to keep you talking. They try to make you feel guilty if you don't
support their brand of Christianity and make out that you are a bad person.
I managed to tie one of them up in knots when I asked about all the virtues
of Mormonism (thinking of others as well as themselves, lack of greed or
avarice or any of the other Ten Commandments sins) and then I said "yes, I
agree with all that - I'm like that... but I don't believe in worship,
praise or an omniscient superior being: does that make me bad". And they
didn't have an answer. Religions as a code for us all living together
harmoniously on the planet make a lot of sense, but then they pollute that
message by bringing in belief-without-proof and faith and all things that
don't pass my scientific mind.

Old August 9th 18, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 09/08/18 14:57, NY wrote:

Yes, there are all manner of people who have a genuine reason to call
(postman with a large package, friend who has popped in unannounced on
the off-chance) so it makes sense always to answer it. Same as answering
the phone if you haven't got caller ID: you don't know who it is until
you answer. Which is why it ****es me off that people abuse the system
by selling goods or their religion at the door or on the phone.

Depending on the time of day and how I'm feeling, I'll either answer a
'number withheld' call or I won't. Occasionally, I deal with the police,
and their system always withholds the number, so if I'm expecting a call
from them I'll pick up, but if it's a cold call then I'll just hang up
without saying a word. I don't have the time or patience to string them
along for ages like some people do. Besides, it's blocking my line.

As for callers at the door, there is a large notice on the outside of it
saying that I will only answer the door to postal or courier deliveries.
If I look through the door viewer and don't recognise whoever is out
there, then I'll ignore them, they soon go away. Friends will always
call ahead first as they know my views on this.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 9th 18, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"NY" wrote in message
news
"tim..." wrote in message
news

[...]

For the record Caller Display (as BT insist on calling it) becomes
free and available to all BT users from October.

That's what competition does - when it works! Same happened with DTMF
which BT insisted for years was not available until someone took them
to court....

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com