Plusnet call protect seems to help

Old July 5th 18, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

Default Plusnet call protect seems to help

Just to give credit to Plusnet for once (or more probably their BT parent): I changed my Plusnet contract recently and added the Plusnet free services of call protect and also caller display.

Based on a couple of weeks's experience, call protect (1572) does seem to get rid of most junk calls. We had none for two weeks then two yesterday (and just afterwards some Jehovah's Witnesses called at the door, coincidence works in odd ways). I used 1572 to add both of the callers numbers to the list that is supposed to be rejected from now on, whereas we were getting typically several a week before. It's hard to tell, of course, whether it is preventing any genuine calls getting through, but so far it seems not to be doing that. All we need now is something to deter Jehovah's Witnesses and the like from ringing the doorbell.

--
Clive Page
Old July 5th 18, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 05/07/2018 09:08, Clive Page wrote:
Just to give credit to Plusnet for once (or more probably their BT
parent):** I changed my Plusnet contract recently and added the Plusnet
free services of call protect and also caller display.

Based on a couple of weeks's experience, call protect (1572) does seem
to get rid of most junk calls.* We had none for two weeks then two
yesterday (and just afterwards some Jehovah's Witnesses called at the
door, coincidence works in odd ways).* I used 1572 to add both of the
callers numbers to the list that is supposed to be rejected from now on,
whereas we were getting typically several a week before.* It's hard to
tell, of course, whether it is preventing any genuine calls getting
through, but so far it seems not to be doing that.* All we need now is
something to deter Jehovah's Witnesses and the like from ringing the
doorbell.

I had a pair of JWs knock. So I invited them in, sat them down and
offered tea and coffee.

Then I asked them what they wanted to talk about.
"I don't know. We have never got this far before".

As for cold calls, the problem is that very frequently the number
presented by CLI is totally fictional. (02030xxx, local or International
beginning with 074xxx).

For some reason they are not evenly distributed - with several in one
week and no more for a couple of weeks. Presumably, when lists are sold on.

Does Call Protect tell you when calls have been blocked?

--

Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
Old July 5th 18, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Clive Page" wrote in message
Just to give credit to Plusnet for once (or more probably their BT
parent): I changed my Plusnet contract recently and added the
Plusnet free services of call protect and also caller display.

Based on a couple of weeks's experience, call protect (1572) does
seem to get rid of most junk calls. We had none for two weeks then
two yesterday (and just afterwards some Jehovah's Witnesses called
at the door, coincidence works in odd ways). I used 1572 to add
both of the callers numbers to the list that is supposed to be
rejected from now on, whereas we were getting typically several a
week before. It's hard to tell, of course, whether it is preventing
any genuine calls getting through, but so far it seems not to be
doing that. All we need now is something to deter Jehovah's
Witnesses and the like from ringing the doorbell.

Only downside of 1572 is that (1) you can only block the last number
(or at least that is how it seems to work for me,) (2) the blocked
number is only on your personal blacklist - I haven't found a way of
making an obviously bogus number known to BT and (3) I don't think
(but I may be wrong) that you can block partial numbers. All of these
I can do on my Panny phone with call blocking.

I had one of those calls a couple of weeks ago from an 01638 number -
I didn't have my glasses on so didn't see that it was a digit short on
the actual number. It was a 'Microsoft' call to say that my machine
had been hacked and they would sort it out for me. I acted daft - 'my
keyboard does not have a Windows key', then he said "bring up the
Google" again which I feigned not to understand. I finally gave in and
said 'oh you mean Google Chrome?' to which he said yes. I said 'can't
do that - I use Safari on a Mac.'
Click
NU tone.

Oh what fun, but I got bored very quickly!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old July 5th 18, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 05/07/18 10:00, Woody wrote:
"Clive Page" wrote in message
[...]

There don't seem to be many people who recognise valid short numbers,
which is why we always state our number and follow it immediately with
"it's a 10 digit number".

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old July 6th 18, 03:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 05/07/2018 11:57, Chronos wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 09:08:57 +0100
Clive Page wrote:

All we need now is something to deter Jehovah's Witnesses and the
like from ringing the doorbell.

Try answering the door in goatskin leggings and ask them if they're
delivering the sacrificial virgins. You'll be on their do not knock
list faster than you can blink.

Or in a police cell.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).

Old July 6th 18, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
I had a pair of JWs knock. So I invited them in, sat them down and
offered tea and coffee.

Around forty years ago I kept two of them talking for a couple of hours
over a glass of wine - the more experience one eventually realised I was
taking the proverbial...

My grandma sometimes got a bit lonely, so if JWs called she would invite
them in for a chat. As well as giving her someone to talk to (and yes, she
probably would have done most of the talking!) she saw it as doing a favour
for her neighbours in keeping the JWs off the street.

My feeling is that *any* stranger (ie not friend, neighbour, colleague) who
contacts me out of the blue, whether it be by phone, email, text or at the
door, is an equal nuisance. It is irrelevant whether their intentions are
honourable or malicious - they are still guilty of pestering and disturbing
me.

JWs are particularly pernicious because they don't recognise a polite "no
thanks", nor a forceful "no", nor a blatant "please go away"; instead they
try to put a verbal foot in the door and keep you going. And it's harder to
close the door than it is to put the phone down.

It really is time for us to make it clear to all unsolicited callers etc
that their techniques stink.

Old July 6th 18, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

On 06/07/18 15:12, NY wrote:
[...]

ask them if they can help you with the ouija board, you will see their
backs pretty promptly

--
Martin
Old July 7th 18, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yellow[_2_]

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 15:12:46 +0100, NY posted:

[...]

I find not opening the door in the first place works 100%.

Old July 7th 18, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

JWs are particularly pernicious because they don't
recognise a polite "no thanks"

I don't get many of them round, but I get in early with a "religion
really is not my thing" or "I don't like to discuss religion on the
doorstep" they just say thanks and toddle-off, usually offering to leave
a leaflet.