uk.telecom blocked on google groups

Old July 23rd 18, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
David Woolley

Default uk.telecom blocked on google groups

On 22/07/18 11:29, MissRiaElaine wrote:
I'm not saying turn it into a fully moderated group, but the ability to
delete spam would be nice.

There are spam cancellers on USENET, but many server operators have a
policy of ignoring cancels. In particular, I seem to remember that
Google Groups is one of those.

The real bad thing here is that Google have cut the group off because of
abuse of their own service, which is unlikely to help in the long run as
the Google members responsible for the spam will just move to unblocked
groups.
Old July 23rd 18, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sunday, 22 July 2018 23:24:26 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
So, how to proceed? Has anyone got a way of talking to Google with
half a chance of being listened to?

I don't know, but I have emailed the UK Usenet Committee.

Owain

Old July 23rd 18, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris in Makati

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 23:51:29 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

I was the initial applicant to create uk.telecom.voip a few years back,
and boy, did I have to jump through more hoops than I ever knew
existed..! I don't have any control over it, though (I sometimes think
more's the pity...)

Is that you, Ivor Jones?

Old July 23rd 18, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Try not to spread it about...

PM me on the address below.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old July 24th 18, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.[_3_]

it appears that uk.telecom has now been blocked on google groups due to all the spam.

"Group owners can request an appeal after they have taken steps to clean up potentially offensive content in the forum"

Not sure who the 'group owner' is ...

Owain

Thanks for the heads-up Owen.
Google just don't get Usenet, do they?

The message said that the group would work "read only", shades of the
Deja News archive and would be fine by me, but that seems not to be
the case, "No topics are available in this group"

Banned Content Warning
The group that you are attempting to view (uk.telecom) has been
identified as containing spam, malware or other malicious content.
Content in this group is now limited to view-only mode for those with
access.
Group owners can request an appeal after they have taken steps to
clean up potentially offensive content in the forum. For more
information about content policies on Google Groups, please see our
Help Centre article on abuse and our Terms of Service.

Ria, Only u.t is affected not its sister groups.

The irony is that all the credit-card fraud posts are via GG, we get
few if any legitimate non-UK traffic, Google could stop the spam by
filtering all the non UK IPs

I wonder if Google are continuing to archive our posts even if they
are not available to view for the present.

The spam in uk.telecom has become a bit of an "Elephant in the room",
perhaps on the basis that if we don't talk about it, it's more likely
to go away.

A further irony is I was only thinking yesterday that the S/N ratio
had improved slightly.

I propose that we either abandon uk.telecom in favour of uk.voip, or
if that feels like a capitulation, we could x-post to both groups.

The useful thing that Google does for Usenet is to archive our posts
^
ONLY
and that way we can be sure that continues.

Mindful that Ria Elaine proposed u.t.v in the first place, what do you
think?

uk.telecom.mobile added

I have a response from Christina a "Google Adviser"

https://productforums.google.com/for...ace=forum/apps

No surprise she doesn't seem know what USENET is.
Hopefully she will escalate it to someone who GAD.

In the meantime I have "tweeted" Peter Gradwell on the basis that he
is the highest profile person I know of connected to uk.telecom
Was he the original proposer?

Can anyone tell me the date when uk.telecom was formed?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 24th 18, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Half the spam I see seems to have originated on Google Groups so they're
fine ones to talk if you ask me.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old July 24th 18, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.[_3_]

Half the spam I see seems to have originated on Google Groups so they're
fine ones to talk if you ask me.

Half?
I challenge you to find a single "credit-card fraud" post that wasn't
made via GG.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 24th 18, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 24/07/18 15:27, Graham. wrote:

Half the spam I see seems to have originated on Google Groups so they're
fine ones to talk if you ask me.

Half?
I challenge you to find a single "credit-card fraud" post that wasn't
made via GG.

Sadly, I fear you are right :-(

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old July 25th 18, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
David Woolley writes:
On 22/07/18 11:29, MissRiaElaine wrote:
I'm not saying turn it into a fully moderated group, but the ability to
delete spam would be nice.

There are spam cancellers on USENET, but many server operators have a
policy of ignoring cancels. In particular, I seem to remember that
Google Groups is one of those.

The real bad thing here is that Google have cut the group off because of
abuse of their own service, which is unlikely to help in the long run as
the Google members responsible for the spam will just move to unblocked
groups.

Were there any genuine posters via Google?
ISTM that preventing posting via google is probably
the best fix available at this point in time - I
wouldn't complain to them about it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 26th 18, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

In article ,
David Woolley writes:
On 22/07/18 11:29, MissRiaElaine wrote:
I'm not saying turn it into a fully moderated group, but the ability to
delete spam would be nice.

There are spam cancellers on USENET, but many server operators have a
policy of ignoring cancels. In particular, I seem to remember that
Google Groups is one of those.

The real bad thing here is that Google have cut the group off because of
abuse of their own service, which is unlikely to help in the long run as
the Google members responsible for the spam will just move to unblocked
groups.

Were there any genuine posters via Google?
ISTM that preventing posting via google is probably
the best fix available at this point in time - I
wouldn't complain to them about it.

I have on rare occasions used Google to post in uk.telecom and other
groups from my ancient Android phone because there is no viable
news-reader application for it, more often though I just browse the
recent posts.

The issue is the historical archive of posts is no longer available
for reference, (including a straightforward Google search) and that's
tragic with, of all topics, telecommunications.

According to the message displayed when you access the group via
Google
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uk.telecom
"Content in this group is now limited to view-only mode for those with
access."

And that is absolutely fine with me, a pragmatic solution to deal with
the awful spam the group has succumbed to, all via Google.

But the message is wrong, when you click through to the group-
"No topics are available in this group"

Three of us, including a member of the UK Usenet Committee have thus
far failed to convince the "Google Adviser" that uk.telecom is not a
Google Group with an "owner" who can "appeal" against the measures.